Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon
    Posts
    1,695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Anyone else signed up for the Tour of the Unknown Coast?

    5/10 - should be a good test if I'm on track for the Death Ride

    http://www.tuccycle.org/rideinfo.html

    JB
    "Poor Reverend Hamilton! He worked so hard, got a mountain named after him and now all anyone wants to do is complain about his backside!" Overheard while climbing Mt. Hamilton

    Check out my cycling blog.

  2. #2
    Senior Member silentben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Los Gatos, CA
    My Bikes
    2006 Cannondale Synapse carbon 2
    Posts
    889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother and I are doing this ride. We'll be heading up to the area on Monday to get in a few days of backpacking in the Sinkyone Wilderness. Then Friday night we plan to camp at the fairgrounds and get started riding around 7am the next morning. We got a hotel room in Eureka for the night after the ride. It should be a welcome relief after camping for a few days in a row

    Oh yeah we also signed up for the spaghetti dinner the night before the ride. Maybe we'll see you there?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon
    Posts
    1,695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silentben View Post
    My brother and I are doing this ride. We'll be heading up to the area on Monday to get in a few days of backpacking in the Sinkyone Wilderness. Then Friday night we plan to camp at the fairgrounds and get started riding around 7am the next morning. We got a hotel room in Eureka for the night after the ride. It should be a welcome relief after camping for a few days in a row

    Oh yeah we also signed up for the spaghetti dinner the night before the ride. Maybe we'll see you there?
    We won't be at the spaghetti dinner, but we will be riding. Our coaches have organized a dinner for us on Friday (we're using this as a training ride). We'll also be starting the ride as close to 7 as possible, so I'll look for you at the start - we'll mostly be wearing TnT stuff.

    JB
    "Poor Reverend Hamilton! He worked so hard, got a mountain named after him and now all anyone wants to do is complain about his backside!" Overheard while climbing Mt. Hamilton

    Check out my cycling blog.

  4. #4
    Chieftain
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oakland
    My Bikes
    2012 Cannondale CAADX 105; Wabi Classic Fixed Gear
    Posts
    545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be there. Rode Panther Gap (the first climb) a week ago - ZERO traffic, and a surprisingly good road for up here. Tough thing about TUC is that about 9000' of the climbing comes after mile 40 and most of that after mile 70 with a head wind. So beautiful, yet so brutal!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be riding one of the shorter rides this year- the 20 miler. I wasnt ready for the 100 this year and my GF wanted to ride something so I said I'd ride whatever she's riding.

    HUMBOLDTS ROADS- were you out scouting the course or testing your climbing That's a good climb no matter what weekend.

    Dean (in Trinidad)

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon
    Posts
    1,695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by humboldt'sroads View Post
    I'll be there. Rode Panther Gap (the first climb) a week ago - ZERO traffic, and a surprisingly good road for up here. Tough thing about TUC is that about 9000' of the climbing comes after mile 40 and most of that after mile 70 with a head wind. So beautiful, yet so brutal!
    Funny, I thought there only was 9,000 feet of climbing in the entire ride!

    JB
    "Poor Reverend Hamilton! He worked so hard, got a mountain named after him and now all anyone wants to do is complain about his backside!" Overheard while climbing Mt. Hamilton

    Check out my cycling blog.

  7. #7
    Spinning like a gerbel spingineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    My Bikes
    Seven
    Posts
    7,947
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldn't find any info on the site about how much climbing there is. Funny how they happen to leave that detail out.
    I'm in it to finish it.

    My Cycling Blog

  8. #8
    Senior Member gpelpel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, CA
    My Bikes
    Time VXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
    Posts
    2,504
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, this is what they claim in the ride description:

    "You will have ridden one of the world's toughest 100 mile courses when you complete this great ride."

    Ouch!!!

  9. #9
    Wheres my snuggie? taxi777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanb715 View Post
    5/10 - should be a good test if I'm on track for the Death Ride



    JB
    I think I'm going to drive up there and just pop out of a bush in the middle of a climb, just to freak you out... >>>Hello Jonathan<<<<<

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon
    Posts
    1,695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taxi777 View Post
    I think I'm going to drive up there and just pop out of a bush in the middle of a climb, just to freak you out... >>>Hello Jonathan<<<<<
    LOL. I half expected to see you climbing Mt. D's Northgate last weekend with the other Lifecycle folks despite your widely publicized *other* plans....

    JB
    "Poor Reverend Hamilton! He worked so hard, got a mountain named after him and now all anyone wants to do is complain about his backside!" Overheard while climbing Mt. Hamilton

    Check out my cycling blog.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon
    Posts
    1,695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spingineer View Post
    Couldn't find any info on the site about how much climbing there is. Funny how they happen to leave that detail out.
    I found this blog - the linked motionbased analysis gives more than 9,700 feet of climbing, with grades exceeding 20% briefly a few times: http://northcoastbikerides.blogspot....own-coast.html

    I still have time put mountain bike gears on my bike

    JB
    "Poor Reverend Hamilton! He worked so hard, got a mountain named after him and now all anyone wants to do is complain about his backside!" Overheard while climbing Mt. Hamilton

    Check out my cycling blog.

  12. #12
    Spinning like a gerbel spingineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    My Bikes
    Seven
    Posts
    7,947
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be a great ride. I know what it's like, as I did the Auburn Century last year, at 108 miles and ~ 12,000 feet climbing. It's funny how your mind will say "you're never going to make it, you'll have to sag", but your body is saying "don't you dare sag this in!"
    I'm in it to finish it.

    My Cycling Blog

  13. #13
    Chieftain
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oakland
    My Bikes
    2012 Cannondale CAADX 105; Wabi Classic Fixed Gear
    Posts
    545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KF6AAI View Post
    HUMBOLDTS ROADS- were you out scouting the course or testing your climbing That's a good climb no matter what weekend.

    Dean (in Trinidad)
    Both - rode Panther Gap for a warmup for the wildflower, and the wildflower for a TUC warmup. Hit up Butler Valley via Kneeland a few days ago and Fickle yesterday - I wanna hit TUC with some confidence!

    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanb715 View Post
    Funny, I thought there only was 9,000 feet of climbing in the entire ride!

    JB
    You are correct, but the first 40 has virtually no elevation - check out the link below. I guess about 1/2 the climbing is after Petrolia (mile 65-70ish).
    http://www.tuccycle.org/map.html

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how did everyone do?

    The weather looked to be pretty good. I rode the 20 mile with my GF. She wasnt ready for anything longer this year, and I had not ridden much this spring myself. It was nice to hear some of the stories from the 100 mile riders though. I think she will try training harder for a couple more rides next year, including the TUC 100.


    Dean

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon
    Posts
    1,695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KF6AAI View Post
    So how did everyone do?

    The weather looked to be pretty good. I rode the 20 mile with my GF. She wasnt ready for anything longer this year, and I had not ridden much this spring myself. It was nice to hear some of the stories from the 100 mile riders though. I think she will try training harder for a couple more rides next year, including the TUC 100.


    Dean
    look here!

    JB
    "Poor Reverend Hamilton! He worked so hard, got a mountain named after him and now all anyone wants to do is complain about his backside!" Overheard while climbing Mt. Hamilton

    Check out my cycling blog.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •