Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Wheres my snuggie? taxi777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I locked "Granny" out! Your Thoughts On Gearing?



    I like my Trek 5000 that I bought the day Lance started his winning 5th TDF...I wanted a Lance bike, and back when we had a couple of bucks, Cathy bought it for me for our July 2ND anniversary. Two things that drove me crazy though was that it had a high velocity shimmy from the oscillation in the front end. I remedied that by going withMavic Cosmic Elite wheels which immediately fixed that!

    Second problem was that shifting sucked. I hated the triple. I like a wide range for my middle chain ring, but no matter what I did (setting the trim & new chain, I was never happy with it!
    I actually was thinking about selling it this week, but I wanted to set it up for a "Night Bike" cause the ride is as smooth as butterscotch!

    So today I just put it in the stand and kept messing with different variations...Finally I locked out the Granny gear and now it's purring like a kitty and it's a hell of a lot more fun. I can get a huge range on the middle chain wheel which I use most. When I think about it...I don't think I really need a granny

    Has anyone else done this? seems like most have "Compact cranks". I couldn't really afford that right now, but this seems to work really well. Ultegra BTW

  2. #2
    moth -----> flame Beaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    My Bikes
    11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon
    Posts
    5,908
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well timed Pete -- I'm going to embark on the triple to compact switch in the next month. I just got a killer PBK deal on a nice new Ultegra SL 50/34 crankset at PBK for $137 w/free shipping.

    If you're interested here's the link - given your height I'm thinking you'd be riding 175mm cranks?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Jose
    Posts
    182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did that same thing on my old Giant with the Ultegra triple. Something about that small ring was like a wrench thrown in a well oiled machine. I've been riding a Campy Centaur compact for a while now and am having a hell of a time finding a gear combo I like. I think I'm going to swap the 34 for a 36, and if that doesn't do it for me I'm going back to a non-compact crankset. I figured the compact was just the thing to get my fat-ass up the hills.

  4. #4
    phony collective progress x136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Hoosey
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/user/36663
    Posts
    2,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you think doubles shift better than triples, you should just rip off the derailleur. 1x9/1x10 drivetrain with shifting as smooth as a butter-baby's ass!

  5. #5
    Wheres my snuggie? taxi777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by x136 View Post
    If you think doubles shift better than triples, you should just rip off the derailleur. 1x9/1x10 drivetrain with shifting as smooth as a butter-baby's ass!
    Very good idea...Right now the shifting is nice tight and smooth, but I'll know more after 80+ miles...I'll either love it or hate it like a wife...oops

    Beakers idea looks good, I think I want to go to the LBS and try one first.

  6. #6
    Tandem Mountain Climber
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    My Bikes
    Calfee Tandem, Custom CAAD9 BB30, 90 Santana Arriva Tandem, 02 CAAD4 errand bike, 87 Cannondale "Black Lightning"
    Posts
    4,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be able to get you triple to shift fine Pete. I can get my tandem shifting through all 3-rings... and that's under load since it's hard to coordinate a surge followed by soft pedal for a nice shift like you would on a solo bike.

    The keys to good shifting on the triple are:
    1) Limit settings
    2) 3rd eye chain watcher
    3) Trim

    The 3rd eye do-hickey let's you get more aggressive with the lower limit without throwing the chain so the shifts are fast.

    The upper limit should be set such that the FD cage is over just enough to run your highest gear combo.

    Then set the trim accordingly.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,678
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, so on the way back we are taking Divisadero from Marina blvd. to Broadway in celebration of kick granny to the curb day.

  8. #8
    Wheres my snuggie? taxi777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get 2 maybe 3 on the granny...the middle I really want full range...that's just the way I ride "******ed" and if I have to cross chain the 53 to 26...Lance does it, so I figure it's accepted. You know me...No rhyme no reason

    I think on the Tandem you need it...I just don't feel I need the granny, I think I 'm just getting used to mashin up the hills after you and Ramon.

    BTW I think I'll be up to par next Thurs and I'm bringing the trek,,,it's being nice to me cause it knows I was thinking of selling it!

  9. #9
    Tandem Mountain Climber
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    My Bikes
    Calfee Tandem, Custom CAAD9 BB30, 90 Santana Arriva Tandem, 02 CAAD4 errand bike, 87 Cannondale "Black Lightning"
    Posts
    4,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now my thoughts on gearing...

    Pete - I know you like a high cadence, so I I would say stick with compact or triple.

    Personally, I like my 50/34 and 11-26 combo. I don't like the gearing SO low that I can go easy or something like quimby or crestview type grades. 34x26 still forces me to go hard.

    A triple with a 11-23 or 12-25 would be good too.

    Basically with the 50/34:
    50= flats/short rollers/ under 5% stuff
    34 = climbs

    I am bascally in the 50 for all non-climbing.

  10. #10
    Wheres my snuggie? taxi777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uspspro View Post
    Now my thoughts on gearing...

    Pete - I know you like a high cadence, so I I would say stick with compact or triple.

    Personally, I like my 50/34 and 11-26 combo. I don't like the gearing SO low that I can go easy or something like quimby or crestview type grades. 34x26 still forces me to go hard.

    A triple with a 11-23 or 12-25 would be good too.

    Basically with the 50/34:
    50= flats/short rollers/ under 5% stuff
    34 = climbs

    I am bascally in the 50 for all non-climbing.
    Mmmm? dually noted...I'm gonna sleep on that...I would like to try a compact sometime first though.

  11. #11
    Tandem Mountain Climber
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    My Bikes
    Calfee Tandem, Custom CAAD9 BB30, 90 Santana Arriva Tandem, 02 CAAD4 errand bike, 87 Cannondale "Black Lightning"
    Posts
    4,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taxi777 View Post
    I think on the Tandem you need it...I just don't feel I need the granny, I think I 'm just getting used to mashin up the hills after you and Ramon.
    Yeah, we do need it.

    I wasn't comparing the tandem to you for gear selection... I was just saying the tandem has a triple and the FD shifts great. Even with under load shifting. Thus, yours should work too

  12. #12
    moth -----> flame Beaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    My Bikes
    11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon
    Posts
    5,908
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taxi777 View Post
    Very good idea...Right now the shifting is nice tight and smooth, but I'll know more after 80+ miles...I'll either love it or hate it like a wife...oops

    Beakers idea looks good, I think I want to go to the LBS and try one first.
    I was thinking about trying the LBS route, but my trusty shop was looking at ~$300 for the same crankset. I'm normally happy to pay a bit over to support my LBS, but this was just too much.

    I do most of my climbs in my 39, but every now and again want something a little lower - I'll give this a go and see how it works out.

  13. #13
    Wheres my snuggie? taxi777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uspspro View Post
    Yeah, we do need it.

    I wasn't comparing the tandem to you for gear selection... I was just saying the tandem has a triple and the FD shifts great. Even with under load shifting. Thus, yours should work too
    BTW...You wanna do the "Wall" right...YOu seem to really want to take a bite of that!

    I'm pretty excited about the possible turnout tomorrow.

  14. #14
    Tandem Mountain Climber
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    My Bikes
    Calfee Tandem, Custom CAAD9 BB30, 90 Santana Arriva Tandem, 02 CAAD4 errand bike, 87 Cannondale "Black Lightning"
    Posts
    4,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taxi777 View Post
    BTW...You wanna do the "Wall" right...YOu seem to really want to take a bite of that!

    I'm pretty excited about the possible turnout tomorrow.
    I just want to get full value out of the ride

    Go for broke, ya know...

    Anyway, I'm down for whatever the hard route is determined to be.

    As far as the wall goes, I'm just trying to get as many steep grades under our belt as possible on the tandem.

    After all, we going to attempt Everest Challenge on that thing next year... so HTFU right??

  15. #15
    Wheres my snuggie? taxi777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uspspro View Post
    I just want to get full value out of the ride

    Go for broke, ya know...

    Anyway, I'm down for whatever the hard route is determined to be.

    As far as the wall goes, I'm just trying to get as many steep grades under our belt as possible on the tandem.

    After all, we going to attempt Everest Challenge on that thing next year... so HTFU right??
    That's right her first time up the wall!!!! Man! she's gone from obscurity to head Cheetah in a year!

  16. #16
    Family, Health, Cycling Lanceoldstrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Concord, CA
    My Bikes
    Roubaix SL4 Expert, Felt F75, Univega Gran Turismo
    Posts
    1,239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50/34 compact with 105 front derailleur
    11-28 SRAM cassete with Ultegra rear derailleur.

    I run this Frankenbike set up and I use 34-28 for steep stuff, 50-25, 50-22 and 50-19 are my fave for cruising the flats.
    I luvs me some high cadence.
    (notice the 3 tooth jumps 50-25 down to 50-22 etc, this cassette would drive some nuts with all it's 3 tooth jumps)

    I can get going pretty good in 50-13, 50-12 or 50-11, no 3 tooth jumps down at the power end.

    I have to have the 28. I am just too damned heavy at 185 to shimmy up the hills with the likes of Bostic and Taxi. Part of it is my surgically rebuilt left knee can't take the hammer.

    The great thing I have learned is that gearing is like jazz. We all play the same instrument but we bend the notes to our own unique style.
    In Escendo Est Verum

  17. #17
    Wheres my snuggie? taxi777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Lanceoldstrong;7855191]50/34 compact with 105 front derailleur
    11-28 SRAM cassete with Ultegra rear derailleur.


    The great thing I have learned is that gearing is like jazz. We all play the same instrument but we bend the notes to our own unique style.


    What a great way to say that! I loves to bend the notes too!

    Pete....so what are you doing tomorrow??? You should see if you can make it...

  18. #18
    Family, Health, Cycling Lanceoldstrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Concord, CA
    My Bikes
    Roubaix SL4 Expert, Felt F75, Univega Gran Turismo
    Posts
    1,239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pete,

    I crave it, I want it but I can't have it. I wish I could ride the epic ride with ya'll tomorrow but my wife has a Team In Training ride (Solvang Century prep) so... I will be home with the kids.

    I will catch you next time. Have fun, be safe.
    Last edited by Lanceoldstrong; 11-15-08 at 12:43 AM.
    In Escendo Est Verum

  19. #19
    moth -----> flame Beaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    My Bikes
    11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon
    Posts
    5,908
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanceoldstrong View Post
    Pete,

    I crave it, I want it but I can't have it. I wish I could ride the epic ride with ya'll tomorrow but my wife has a Team In Training ride (Solvang Century prep) so... I will be home with the kids.

    I will catch you next time. Have fun, be safe.
    I hear you Dan, I was in a similar mode today, but managed a short 20miler just after lunch in the hills - what a great day to be alive and riding a bike. I was bending notes in my own unique style today for sure....(fantastic line)

    Quote Originally Posted by taxi777 View Post
    When I think about it...I don't think I really need a granny
    Pete - I gotta ask, did this thought occur to you before or after you climbed the Wall at the top of Diablo in your 42x16? Yeah, I think on balance you might be able to do without granny.

  20. #20
    Pepperoni Power ROJA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oaklandish
    Posts
    1,665
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not as strong as most of you, but I love and frequently use my lowest gear (34-27 from my compact double).

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon
    Posts
    1,695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Granny is my best friend! As for teeth, more is better!

    I try to ride my triple as if it were a std. double, but I find on long rides it can be real nice to have that small chain ring to bail out to.

    JB
    "Poor Reverend Hamilton! He worked so hard, got a mountain named after him and now all anyone wants to do is complain about his backside!" Overheard while climbing Mt. Hamilton

    Check out my cycling blog.

  22. #22
    moth -----> flame Beaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    My Bikes
    11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon
    Posts
    5,908
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ROJA View Post
    I am not as strong as most of you, but I love and frequently use my lowest gear (34-27 from my compact double).
    Hey, IIRC you're no slouch up them hills Justin...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •