Sacramento prologue TT Questions.
I am not very familiar with Sacramento but would like to be able to get to the pits area (like in Palo Alto last year) to see the bikes and riders up close. We plan on driving up to Sacramento and then walking to the stage (walking a few miles if necessary isnt a problem).
Could anyone recommend a good place to park ?
A few Pictures I took last year to get you going
Stuf for sale
Awesome pix! I'm so bummed out it's not in Palo Alto this year.
One of the easiest and closest places is at Old Sacramento. You exit off I-5 at J St. and follow the signs to Old Sac. There are two parking lots, one at the north end and one at the south end. They are separated by about four blocks. Both are covered, multi-story lots. If you can park there, you will be very close to the turnaround at the west end of the course. Here is the Old Sac link
Another option might be to go east on highway 50 and exit at 65th or Watt Avenue. You can park your car and use light rail (RT) to get close to the course. Here is the timetable
Hope this helps. I'm sure others will have additional suggestions
Theres also a structure at, I think, 16th and J and also at 14 and H.
I don't know if you'll be able to park (or it'll be full) at the mall downtown too, it covers from 3rd to 7th and J to L.
From the Sacramento Bee:
Here's a quick look at road closures and parking recommendations for the Amgen Tour of California professional cycling race, set for Feb. 14 in downtown and midtown Sacramento:
* Beginning at 8 p.m. on Feb. 13, 10th Street will be closed from K Street to N Street and L Street will be closed from 9th Street to 13th Street.
* Starting at 11 a.m. on Feb. 14, streets will be closed from 6th to 9th streets and from L to N Streets.
* At 1 p.m., the entire course -- roughly from 4th Street to 19th Street, between L and N Streets, will be closed.
* Street closures are scheduled to end at 4 p.m., except for Capitol Mall between 8th and 9th Streets.
* From Interstate 5: Tower Bridge Parking Garage (135 Neasham Circle), Surface Parking Lot X (201 N Street), the Old Sacramento Parking Garage (200 I Street) or one of three Downtown Plaza Parking Garages: Central (414 J Street), East (597 L Street) or West (325 L Sreet).
* From Capital City Freeway or Highway 50: Memorial Parking Garage (805 14th Street).
Note: The starting line in on Capitol Mall near 8th Street; the finish is at 11th and L streets.
Thanks for the information everyone
If you park at the Downtown Plaza parking garage, you can get your parking validated at any shop in the mall. There's a candy shop we hit for a buck or two for the parking. Or the brewpub...
Originally Posted by hoo_koo
it's still going through our back yard. i plan to photograph the prologue, maybe stage II up on skyline, the sierra road climb and the ITT in solvang .
Originally Posted by 1jacktripper
Spinning like a gerbel
Looks like it's going to be another soaked tour.