Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Northern California Northern California

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-09, 12:03 AM   #1
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente
Thread Starter
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Northern CA
Bikes:
Posts: 10,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any interest in a "pick-up" Slowpoke ride this weekend?

Just spit-balling. I'm sick of work already, and it's only Tuesday. I need a good ride to unwind, and Saturday/Sunday look like they'll be clear.

Any interest? I'm thinking start at the Orinda BART station and go down San Pablo Dam Road. Maybe up and over to Pinole, through Crockett, and return. Or something else entirely.
__________________
"Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin, itís the triumphant twang of a bedspring."

S. J. Perelman
bigbossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 12:11 AM   #2
jonathanb715
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NorCal
Bikes: Kestrel Talon
Posts: 1,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Easter might work - but it'd have to be in the afternoon for me. I have the kids until lunch.

JB
jonathanb715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 12:36 AM   #3
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like to subscribe to this particular newsletter.
__________________
x136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 08:37 AM   #4
Beaker
moth -----> flame
 
Beaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon
Posts: 5,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
I'm sick of work already, and it's only Tuesday.
Well, I have NO IDEA what that's like

This sounds good, but I'm planning on putting in a 70+mile ride in this Saturday AM that will likely start at a time of day that isn't very compatible with the Slow Poke ethos.
__________________
BF, in a nutshell
Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 09:21 AM   #5
taxi777
Wheres my snuggie?
 
taxi777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Francisco
Bikes:
Posts: 3,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I could be enticed...
__________________
Blame It On The Dog Blog
taxi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 11:11 AM   #6
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down
 
bikingshearer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Democratic Peoples' Republic of Berkeley
Bikes: 1967 Paramount, 1982-ish Ron Cooper,1986 De Rosa Professional, 1978 Eisentraut "A," 1961 BianchiCompetizione, 1994 Trek 520, 199? Burley Bossa Nova, early-1970s Cinelli Speciale Corsa
Posts: 3,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
For me, it would have to be Saturday and I'd need to be home by 2:00 p.m.

Maybe this? 32 miles. 1800 feet of climbing.
http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...23921040154793
__________________
"I'm in shape -- round is a shape." Andy Rooney
bikingshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 11:31 AM   #7
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente
Thread Starter
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Northern CA
Bikes:
Posts: 10,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikingshearer View Post
For me, it would have to be Saturday and I'd need to be home by 2:00 p.m.

Maybe this? 32 miles. 1800 feet of climbing.
http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...23921040154793
Pig Farm the hard way. Hmmmm....... maybe. I really wanna buzz down San Pablo Dam Road all the way into El Sobrante and see what's that way. Looks like Appian Way will reconnect me with familiar routes, but that might be a bit ambitious ands more miles than I think. Plus, I have a dim recollection of Appian Way being steep on the El Sobrante end up to hwy 80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxi777 View Post
I could be enticed...
Remember - you'll be riding with me. No whining and stuff about how slow I am......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
Well, I have NO IDEA what that's like

This sounds good, but I'm planning on putting in a 70+mile ride in this Saturday AM that will likely start at a time of day that isn't very compatible with the Slow Poke ethos.
Where are you starting, and what time? By "slowpoke", I mean "me". If there's a lot of climbing and stuff, I don't mind - but I'll likely hang you up and ruin your ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x136 View Post
I would like to subscribe to this particular newsletter.
You can't subscribe - you have to be asked. are you one of the "Cool Kids"?
__________________
"Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin, itís the triumphant twang of a bedspring."

S. J. Perelman
bigbossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 11:43 AM   #8
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
You can't subscribe - you have to be asked. are you one of the "Cool Kids"?
Hell no!
__________________
x136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 11:47 AM   #9
taxi777
Wheres my snuggie?
 
taxi777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Francisco
Bikes:
Posts: 3,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not whinning...what would make you think that?
__________________
Blame It On The Dog Blog
taxi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 11:55 AM   #10
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente
Thread Starter
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Northern CA
Bikes:
Posts: 10,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x136 View Post
Hell no!
Then you're "in".
__________________
"Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin, itís the triumphant twang of a bedspring."

S. J. Perelman
bigbossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 12:07 PM   #11
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
Then you're "in".
__________________
x136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 12:24 PM   #12
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down
 
bikingshearer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Democratic Peoples' Republic of Berkeley
Bikes: 1967 Paramount, 1982-ish Ron Cooper,1986 De Rosa Professional, 1978 Eisentraut "A," 1961 BianchiCompetizione, 1994 Trek 520, 199? Burley Bossa Nova, early-1970s Cinelli Speciale Corsa
Posts: 3,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
Pig Farm the hard way. Hmmmm....... maybe. I really wanna buzz down San Pablo Dam Road all the way into El Sobrante and see what's that way. Looks like Appian Way will reconnect me with familiar routes, but that might be a bit ambitious ands more miles than I think. Plus, I have a dim recollection of Appian Way being steep on the El Sobrante end up to hwy 80.
Pig Farm the hard way? Not a chance - check the map again.

As for the Dam Road into El Sobrante - you've seen it, at least in a car, going to and from the Pedaler. Between Castro Ranch (the turn off to get to the Bears) and I-80, the Dam Road is a four lane suburban high-speed highway with decent shoulders, but nothing to write home about, scenery-wise. Appian Way is more of the same with hills. There is another road you can turn off between Castro ranch and Appian that hooks into Appian - what applies to Appian applies to this road, too.

If you are really jonesing to see the Dam Road, stem to stern, How about this: start at Orinda BART, go over Wildcat Canyon through Tilden Park, down Spruce to Los Angeles, thence to the Circle, then along the Arlington to the end on San Pablo Ave, take that the mile or so to San Pablo Dam Road, and then the Dam Road back to Orinda BART?
__________________
"I'm in shape -- round is a shape." Andy Rooney
bikingshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 01:08 PM   #13
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente
Thread Starter
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Northern CA
Bikes:
Posts: 10,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikingshearer View Post
Pig Farm the hard way? Not a chance - check the map again.

As for the Dam Road into El Sobrante - you've seen it, at least in a car, going to and from the Pedaler. Between Castro Ranch (the turn off to get to the Bears) and I-80, the Dam Road is a four lane suburban high-speed highway with decent shoulders, but nothing to write home about, scenery-wise. Appian Way is more of the same with hills. There is another road you can turn off between Castro ranch and Appian that hooks into Appian - what applies to Appian applies to this road, too.

If you are really jonesing to see the Dam Road, stem to stern, How about this: start at Orinda BART, go over Wildcat Canyon through Tilden Park, down Spruce to Los Angeles, thence to the Circle, then along the Arlington to the end on San Pablo Ave, take that the mile or so to San Pablo Dam Road, and then the Dam Road back to Orinda BART?
I'll take the original plan - sounds good. The jonesing for San Pablo Road is to go down it, not up it back to Orinda.
__________________
"Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin, itís the triumphant twang of a bedspring."

S. J. Perelman
bigbossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 01:19 PM   #14
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down
 
bikingshearer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Democratic Peoples' Republic of Berkeley
Bikes: 1967 Paramount, 1982-ish Ron Cooper,1986 De Rosa Professional, 1978 Eisentraut "A," 1961 BianchiCompetizione, 1994 Trek 520, 199? Burley Bossa Nova, early-1970s Cinelli Speciale Corsa
Posts: 3,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
I'll take the original plan - sounds good. The jonesing for San Pablo Road is to go down it, not up it back to Orinda.
I can assure you, based on extensive personal experience, that San Pablo Dam Road between Castro Ranch and I-80 looks pretty much the same in either direction, and is no scenic wonderland however ridden.

If you are up for the Orinda/Lafayette/Reliez Valley/back side of Pig Farm route, shall we meet at Orinda BART Saturday at, say, 9:00 a.m.? (Like I said, I need to be home by 2:00.) This has the added advantage of Europa, Nation's, or possibly even Village Pizza for the post-ride repast.
__________________
"I'm in shape -- round is a shape." Andy Rooney
bikingshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 02:43 PM   #15
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente
Thread Starter
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Northern CA
Bikes:
Posts: 10,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikingshearer View Post
I can assure you, based on extensive personal experience, that San Pablo Dam Road between Castro Ranch and I-80 looks pretty much the same in either direction, and is no scenic wonderland however ridden.

If you are up for the Orinda/Lafayette/Reliez Valley/back side of Pig Farm route, shall we meet at Orinda BART Saturday at, say, 9:00 a.m.? (Like I said, I need to be home by 2:00.) This has the added advantage of Europa, Nation's, or possibly even Village Pizza for the post-ride repast.
Done and Done.

Be there, or be square.
__________________
"Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin, itís the triumphant twang of a bedspring."

S. J. Perelman
bigbossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 02:56 PM   #16
jonathanb715
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NorCal
Bikes: Kestrel Talon
Posts: 1,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Square.

We'll be on Mt. D. and Morgan Territory on Saturday.

JB
jonathanb715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 04:14 PM   #17
cantdrv55
Senior Member
 
cantdrv55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not going to try to not make this ride on Saturday. Or, something like that.

I haven't been on my bike since the slowpoke ride in Danville so have mercy on me.
cantdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 05:07 PM   #18
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente
Thread Starter
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Northern CA
Bikes:
Posts: 10,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdrv55 View Post
I'm not going to try to not make this ride on Saturday. Or, something like that.

I haven't been on my bike since the slowpoke ride in Danville so have mercy on me.
You'll be with me and Rich - you can't lose.
__________________
"Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin, itís the triumphant twang of a bedspring."

S. J. Perelman
bigbossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 05:57 PM   #19
cantdrv55
Senior Member
 
cantdrv55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cool!
cantdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 06:13 PM   #20
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
You'll be with me and Rich - you can't lose.
Sounds like a challenge to me...
__________________
x136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 06:39 PM   #21
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down
 
bikingshearer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Democratic Peoples' Republic of Berkeley
Bikes: 1967 Paramount, 1982-ish Ron Cooper,1986 De Rosa Professional, 1978 Eisentraut "A," 1961 BianchiCompetizione, 1994 Trek 520, 199? Burley Bossa Nova, early-1970s Cinelli Speciale Corsa
Posts: 3,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
Done and Done.

Be there, or be square.
Can't I be both?
__________________
"I'm in shape -- round is a shape." Andy Rooney
bikingshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 08:04 PM   #22
pohlf
Accidental Vintage Rider
 
pohlf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Francisco
Bikes: '67 Schwinn Varsity, late 70's(?) (Mike) Melton
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikingshearer View Post
Can't I be both?
Noooo.. because your shape is round

Sorry, couldn't resist (and it's in your signature - c'mon). Actually if I can trade the caboose/tail-gunner/sweep position with B1 and then, B2, this might just work for me. So, I'm a definite maybe, since Fri. pm will be spent hoisting beers with a few old friends, making an 8:00am BART arrival the next morning a ..challenge.

I will give it a shot.
pohlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 08:32 PM   #23
taxi777
Wheres my snuggie?
 
taxi777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Francisco
Bikes:
Posts: 3,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry, can't make it on Sat. I have a date with the "Wheel Stooges"
__________________
Blame It On The Dog Blog
taxi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 09:37 PM   #24
RoboCheme
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Moraga, CA
Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio
Posts: 1,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikingshearer View Post
For me, it would have to be Saturday and I'd need to be home by 2:00 p.m.

Maybe this? 32 miles. 1800 feet of climbing.
http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...23921040154793
I'm confused. Did you guys decide on this?
RoboCheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 09:37 PM   #25
cantdrv55
Senior Member
 
cantdrv55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxi777 View Post
Sorry, can't make it on Sat. I have a date with the "Wheel Stooges"
She better be cute because we're a good looking bunch.
cantdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:09 PM.