Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Moraga, CA
    My Bikes
    2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio
    Posts
    1,690
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    South Bay folks, please suggest a ride

    I'm driving my wife down to Santa Clara for a knitting show at the end of next week and, fortunately, she's not making me go to the show. So, I've got 3-4 hours to get a ride in.

    I was hoping that you could suggest something in the 30-35 mile range with some hills. I rode up Stevens Canyon Road at last year's Sequoia Century and that was doable (just barely), but I'd rather try something different. I've also done Hamilton.

    I'll have the car so I can get to any starting place. I'd appreciate it if you could be as specific as possible so that I can figure out the route on MapMyRide.

    thanks for your help,

    Cliff

  2. #2
    bam
    bam is offline
    None bam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    192
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you're in the los gatos area, how about hwy9 / skyline / summit / old santa cruz? most of the climbing is getting up hwy9, and the trip down summit / old santa cruz is real nice.

    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/32808

    you could also add some miles by looping around the reservoir (around mile 28)

    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/32810
    Last edited by bam; 02-15-10 at 09:39 PM. Reason: updated route

  3. #3
    RacingBear UmneyDurak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    8,005
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Park at "Park and Ride" near woodside then you can go up Kings, left on Skyline, down 35, up West Old La Honda, and down 84.
    I see hills.... Bring them on!!!
    Stay calm and bring a towel.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    10,360
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my favorite short loop in the Stanford University area. Start somewhere near the west edge of campus
    South on Junipero Serra Blvd
    Right on Page Mill Road (look for the bike lane along the median at the I-280 interchange)
    After I-280, Page Mill climbs up to Skyline (long climb, steep in a couple of places, but mostly not bad)
    Right on Skyline (excellent views on both sides of the road)
    Right on Highway 84 (downhill)
    Near the bottom of the hill, sharp right turn right on Portola Road
    Left on Sand Hill Road (over I-280)
    Right on Santa Cruz Ave.
    Quick left onto Junipero Serra and back to where you started

    27 miles with 2700 feet of climbing

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Moraga, CA
    My Bikes
    2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio
    Posts
    1,690
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bam View Post
    if you're in the los gatos area, how about hwy9 / skyline / summit / old santa cruz? most of the climbing is getting up hwy9, and the trip down summit / old santa cruz is real nice.

    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/32802

    you could also add some miles by looping around the reservoir (around mile 28)
    Thanks, Bam. One question. At mile 28.8, it looks like you're right on Highway 17, which sounds kind of dangerous. Is there some frontage road that you're actually on?

  6. #6
    bam
    bam is offline
    None bam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    192
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboCheme View Post
    Thanks, Bam. One question. At mile 28.8, it looks like you're right on Highway 17, which sounds kind of dangerous. Is there some frontage road that you're actually on?
    yeah, i messed up a bit on that route but there is a road that goes right next to 17, then you either have to ride the shoulder for a few hundred feet or take the small dirt trail off to the right.. i prefer just going around the reservoir (added a second route above)

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    10,360
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bam View Post
    yeah, i messed up a bit on that route but there is a road that goes right next to 17, then you either have to ride the shoulder for a few hundred feet or take the small dirt trail off to the right.. i prefer just going around the reservoir (added a second route above)
    The shoulder here is very minimal. You're mostly riding on the highway exit lane and off-ramp. The dirt trail is narrow and rocky and probably not realistic for road bikes.

  8. #8
    Senior Member rdtompki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Hollister, CA
    My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Posts
    3,934
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are tons of 30-40 mile rides south of San Jose in and about Morgan Hill if you're interested in going that far south. The reservoir loop or versions thereof is very popular and you can do an out/back up Croy and find a few other small goats to add to the ride. I think if you punch Morgan Hill into Mapmyride a bunch of stuff will come up. You can also go to www.actc.org and you'll find a link to a good number of rides throughout the bay area. Probably also can be found at www.westernwheelers.com.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

  9. #9
    Spinning like a gerbel spingineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    My Bikes
    Seven
    Posts
    7,947
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind that rain is being forecast for next weekend.
    I'm in it to finish it.

    My Cycling Blog

  10. #10
    Senior Member ahmose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    179
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Morgan hill suggestion is great. In addition to ACTC also checkout the Western Wheelers site www.westernwheelers.org and look at the rides information.
    This was a very nice ride that i did a few weeks back, nothing too strenuous.
    http://www.westernwheelers.org/main/...gan_hill_d.pdf Great scenery and everything is nice and green right now.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Moraga, CA
    My Bikes
    2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio
    Posts
    1,690
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, everyone. I think that I'll try this route ( a variation of Johnny99's suggestion).

    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/33229#


    How is the riding on Portola Road and Alpine road (near Stanford)?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    10,360
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Portola Rd. and Alpine Rd. are fairly boring. Be careful about stop signs, since the cops around there can be pretty strict.

  13. #13
    Spinning like a gerbel spingineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    My Bikes
    Seven
    Posts
    7,947
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally don't like riding on Alpine all the way to Junipero Serra. It is pretty boring. Instead, I prefer going on Alpine, and turning right on Arastradero, and then hang a left on Page Mill, back to Stanford on Foothill Expy.
    I'm in it to finish it.

    My Cycling Blog

  14. #14
    Senior Member 1jacktripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    787
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spingineer View Post
    I personally don't like riding on Alpine all the way to Junipero Serra. It is pretty boring. Instead, I prefer going on Alpine, and turning right on Arastradero, and then hang a left on Page Mill, back to Stanford on Foothill Expy.
    +1

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    10,360
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny99 View Post
    Here is my favorite short loop in the Stanford University area. Start somewhere near the west edge of campus
    South on Junipero Serra Blvd
    Right on Page Mill Road (look for the bike lane along the median at the I-280 interchange)
    After I-280, Page Mill climbs up to Skyline (long climb, steep in a couple of places, but mostly not bad)
    Right on Skyline (excellent views on both sides of the road)
    Right on Highway 84 (downhill)
    Near the bottom of the hill, sharp right turn right on Portola Road
    Left on Sand Hill Road (over I-280)
    Right on Santa Cruz Ave.
    Quick left onto Junipero Serra and back to where you started

    27 miles with 2700 feet of climbing
    I still prefer the above route to the Portola/Alpine/Arastradero extensions that people are suggesting. If you want to do a few more miles, continue north on Skyline and turn right on Kings Mountain Road to descend back to Stanford.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Gatos, CA
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny99 View Post
    The shoulder here is very minimal. You're mostly riding on the highway exit lane and off-ramp. The dirt trail is narrow and rocky and probably not realistic for road bikes.

    I've ridden on the dirt path plenty of times with my road bike. The shoulder also works fine too since it's such a rarely used exit.

  17. #17
    bam
    bam is offline
    None bam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    192
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i haven't had any issues with the dirt path either. i do like going around lexington since it gives you the option to go up soda springs if you feel like climbing some more.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •