Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Northern California Northern California

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-05-10, 09:17 AM   #1
knotty
Lost in Nostalgia
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Fog City
Bikes:
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OT: FYI Credit Card Reader.

Credit cards at risk by a portable RFID reader. Careful folks!

VIDEO
knotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 12:44 PM   #2
UmneyDurak
RacingBear
 
UmneyDurak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NorCal
Bikes:
Posts: 8,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Welcome to 2006? This was a concern since then. I think some credit card companies responded by encrypting the data, or removing name and the security code. Bottom line if you want to be sure don't use RFID enabled credit cards.
UmneyDurak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 02:28 PM   #3
uspspro
Tandem Mountain Climber
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Mateo, CA
Bikes: Calfee Tandem, Custom CAAD9 BB30, 90 Santana Arriva Tandem, 02 CAAD4 errand bike, 87 Cannondale "Black Lightning"
Posts: 4,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak View Post
Welcome to 2006? This was a concern since then. I think some credit card companies responded by encrypting the data, or removing name and the security code. Bottom line if you want to be sure don't use RFID enabled credit cards.
Yeah but if you travel to places like parts of Europe, you need RFID to even buy things at some places. For example, the public bike rental system in Paris.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%A9lib'
uspspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 05:15 PM   #4
UmneyDurak
RacingBear
 
UmneyDurak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NorCal
Bikes:
Posts: 8,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uspspro View Post
Yeah but if you travel to places like parts of Europe, you need RFID to even buy things at some places. For example, the public bike rental system in Paris.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%A9lib'
Well good thing I am to broke to go to Europe.
UmneyDurak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 05:43 PM   #5
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious
 
contango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: England
Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
Posts: 3,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uspspro View Post
Yeah but if you travel to places like parts of Europe, you need RFID to even buy things at some places. For example, the public bike rental system in Paris.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%A9lib'
From the linked article (emphasis mine):

1-day and 1-week subscribers are given a printed ticket with their subscription number that they will need for future rentals during their subscription period, while 1-year subscribers will be sent a RFID card.

so you don't need an RFID credit card, they send you a card. Just like London's transport network uses an (optional) Oyster card that's RFID enabled. It's not your credit card and if you don't like it you don't have to use it.
contango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 06:10 PM   #6
gpelpel
Senior Member
 
gpelpel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lafayette, CA
Bikes: Time VXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
Posts: 2,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well in Europe, at least in France, it is more and more difficult to use a US credit card. All the cards there have a chip and you are required to enter a 4 digit code to validate purchases (no signature required). Most retailers don't even know how to scan traditional cards, in most cases you have to show them and then let them know that you are supposed to sign the paper slip.
gpelpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 08:33 PM   #7
uspspro
Tandem Mountain Climber
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Mateo, CA
Bikes: Calfee Tandem, Custom CAAD9 BB30, 90 Santana Arriva Tandem, 02 CAAD4 errand bike, 87 Cannondale "Black Lightning"
Posts: 4,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by contango View Post
From the linked article (emphasis mine):

1-day and 1-week subscribers are given a printed ticket with their subscription number that they will need for future rentals during their subscription period, while 1-year subscribers will be sent a RFID card.

so you don't need an RFID credit card, they send you a card. Just like London's transport network uses an (optional) Oyster card that's RFID enabled. It's not your credit card and if you don't like it you don't have to use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpelpel View Post
Well in Europe, at least in France, it is more and more difficult to use a US credit card. All the cards there have a chip and you are required to enter a 4 digit code to validate purchases (no signature required). Most retailers don't even know how to scan traditional cards, in most cases you have to show them and then let them know that you are supposed to sign the paper slip.
Yes, exactly...

To contango:

I was just providing an example with the bike rentals.. Even some restaurants don't take magnetic strip CC's in France. The waiter will walk up to you with a hand held RFID scanner device.

Also, perhaps I don't want to purchase a 29 euro 1-yr subscription. My point wasn't that renting bikes in Paris is impossible without an RFID CC. My point is that the RFID is convenient to have.

Last edited by uspspro; 12-05-10 at 10:05 PM.
uspspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 09:46 PM   #8
UmneyDurak
RacingBear
 
UmneyDurak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NorCal
Bikes:
Posts: 8,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
What happened to just paying with cash? Well with that specific example it might be an issue, but for everything else I had no issue using cash.
UmneyDurak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 10:13 PM   #9
gpelpel
Senior Member
 
gpelpel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lafayette, CA
Bikes: Time VXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
Posts: 2,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The credit cards use EMV chips which are different than RFID cards. The VéLib subscription card is RFID and must be purchased with a credit card. The VéLib card has only a value of 29 Euros (1 year of use).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMV
gpelpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 10:15 PM   #10
uspspro
Tandem Mountain Climber
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Mateo, CA
Bikes: Calfee Tandem, Custom CAAD9 BB30, 90 Santana Arriva Tandem, 02 CAAD4 errand bike, 87 Cannondale "Black Lightning"
Posts: 4,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I see, but what in the case of restaurants, etc?
uspspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 10:26 PM   #11
gpelpel
Senior Member
 
gpelpel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lafayette, CA
Bikes: Time VXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
Posts: 2,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uspspro View Post
I see, but what in the case of restaurants, etc?
The portable wireless reader allows you to insert your card (chip in the machine) and enter your PIN number for validation. Same as the desk units but these sometimes have a thin slide scanner on the side for old type (US) cards.
It is very annoying especially traveling at night and finding yourself out of gas. Most gas stations are unattended and their card readers only accept the new types. It happened to me last year. I barely reached a small town in the countryside where I ended up having to convince a guy in front of a bar to hop in my car and accompany me to one of only 2 gas stations in town, of course on the outskirts. He paid with his card, I gave him cash with a tip for his trouble.
gpelpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:48 AM.