Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member DeadheadSF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy Advanced 3, Trek 520
    Posts
    232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    South Bay & Peninsula Flat Distance Routes?

    So I'm getting back into road cycling after over a decade of not riding much at all. Part of getting back into riding shape is racking up some miles on (mostly) flat rides. I'm far from ready for hills at this point, but most of the routes I've seen posted on various sites all involve some degree of climbing. Can anyone recommend some flat routes/loops that are 25-30 miles or longer? If the routes manage to avoid streets with heavy traffic, that'd be a big plus.

    I've done a bit of googling already, but like I said, everybody always wants the hills, it seems.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    10,388
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some ideas in this thread: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-The-Peninsula

    There are even more choices in the farm and reservoir country south of San Jose.

  3. #3
    Senior Member DeadheadSF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy Advanced 3, Trek 520
    Posts
    232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny99 View Post
    There are some ideas in this thread: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-The-Peninsula

    There are even more choices in the farm and reservoir country south of San Jose.
    I don't know how I missed that - thanks!

  4. #4
    Idealistic Troublemaker bjorke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area + Surrounding Planet
    My Bikes
    Bike Friday, Soma, Fuji, Haro, No_Name...
    Posts
    605
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The creekside paths -- Stevens Creek and San Tomas Aquino Creek -- are great routes, safe from cars and Stevens Creek path is pretty shady as well. Stevens Creek leads to Shoreline Park and you can ride easily from, say, from downtown Mountain View up the creek, west along the bay past the Palo Alto Airport and golfcourse and back -- would be about 25 miles.

  5. #5
    Senior Member DeadheadSF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy Advanced 3, Trek 520
    Posts
    232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    The creekside paths -- Stevens Creek and San Tomas Aquino Creek -- are great routes, safe from cars and Stevens Creek path is pretty shady as well. Stevens Creek leads to Shoreline Park and you can ride easily from, say, from downtown Mountain View up the creek, west along the bay past the Palo Alto Airport and golfcourse and back -- would be about 25 miles.
    Yep, I once in a while ride up the Stevens Creek trail to get to Shoreline Park from Sunnyvale. I was pleasantly surprised to see some nicely paved trails that don't seem to have a lot of users (at least not in the evening). Not a lot of dog walkers, joggers, only a handful of bicycles.

    Generally I prefer to stay to the roads otherwise.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    10,388
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadheadSF View Post
    Yep, I once in a while ride up the Stevens Creek trail to get to Shoreline Park from Sunnyvale. I was pleasantly surprised to see some nicely paved trails that don't seem to have a lot of users (at least not in the evening). Not a lot of dog walkers, joggers, only a handful of bicycles.

    Generally I prefer to stay to the roads otherwise.
    Weekends are crowded. Weekdays aren't bad.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Fisher Rail
    Posts
    257
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Coyote Creek Trail, starting at Hellyer Park and riding south to Morgan Hill, is around 15 miles each way. Lovely scenery, and no roads involved. It can get busy with joggers, dog walkers, horses, and cyclists on nice days!

  8. #8
    Senior Member asiamj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Mateo
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride the Bay trail frequently and it's flat and about 40 miles back and forth from Foster City to about Brisbane. It's a nice safe ride.

    http://maps.google.com/?q=http://sha...10514-0900.kml

  9. #9
    Bourbon junkie ricebowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    653
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestion I'll give it a try soon. Well maybe not that soon climbing guadalupe canyon to get home at the end doesn't exactly fill me with glee.

    Quote Originally Posted by asiamj View Post
    I ride the Bay trail frequently and it's flat and about 40 miles back and forth from Foster City to about Brisbane. It's a nice safe ride.

    http://maps.google.com/?q=http://sha...10514-0900.kml
    Last edited by ricebowl; 06-08-11 at 05:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy View Post
    Show me just one law that says that a person has a right to exercise their judgement or common sense, just one.

  10. #10
    Senior Member squirtdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
    My Bikes
    '89 Miyata 1400, '82 nishiski (current utilty/commuter project)
    Posts
    3,273
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is a nice ride Almaden lake park to mckean road in San jose. the first part is a MUP trail so it can be busy...but generally not as busy as los gatos creek. and you can keep going as long as you like and then come back


    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...ed=0CBcQ8gEwAA
    '82 Nishiski commuter/utility
    '83 Torpado Super Strada ... cafe commuter
    '89 Miyata 1400
    Soma rush Fixie
    '78 Univega gran turismo (son's Fixie/SS)
    06 Haro x3 (son's bmx)
    Electra cruiser (wife's bike)

    looking for: De Rosa 58cm ELOS frame and fork internal cable routing

  11. #11
    Idealistic Troublemaker bjorke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area + Surrounding Planet
    My Bikes
    Bike Friday, Soma, Fuji, Haro, No_Name...
    Posts
    605
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the map! I ride the exact opposite direction from almost exactly the same location (within a couple of blocks), most every day. Also pretty flat & safe.

    Assuming CalTrain doesn't kill anyone today, I think I'll try your route, or some part of it, tonight & then take the train back to the south bay
    My Cycling Log: http://www.endomondo.com/profile/202754 BikeForums Cycling Team on Endomondo: http://www.endomondo.com/teams/1747411

  12. #12
    Idealistic Troublemaker bjorke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area + Surrounding Planet
    My Bikes
    Bike Friday, Soma, Fuji, Haro, No_Name...
    Posts
    605
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    Assuming CalTrain doesn't kill anyone today, I think I'll try your route, or some part of it, tonight & then take the train back to the south bay
    So I rode to SFO -- holy cow, you didn't warn me about the headwind! Must have been 15-20 mph as I came around Seal Point. Toughest "flat" ride I've ever had, zowie!

    (And yeah, CalTrain did hit someone around 4-5pm -- allegedly a drunk passed out on the tracks)
    My Cycling Log: http://www.endomondo.com/profile/202754 BikeForums Cycling Team on Endomondo: http://www.endomondo.com/teams/1747411

  13. #13
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,737
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the bay winds will get you every time.

    And no one is on the Stevens Creek Trail in the evening because of the bugs.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: I openSUSE: III

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •