Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member scrubbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    A good rain bike?

    So, I have a Surly Crosscheck, and it is awesome. Recently I had debated about making it my 'rain bike' and getting a Trek Domane (they were on super sale, 900 bucks off the MSRP on the 5.2) but the wife put the kibosh on that. As a lark, I weighed the 'check before my commute in to work (which I usually climb Kings and the west side of Old La Honda before getting in to work... about 33 miles, 2 hours 10-20 minutes) and discovered my packed bike with work clothes in the pannier is 44.4 pounds. Without the work clothes, it's 37.8 (just my trunk bag with tools, tire, batteries for the lights,etc.)

    Now I'm thinking maybe I should strip everything off the Crosscheck (it's reasonably light 'naked' in the 25-26 pound range, I believe) and get a rain bike. The crosscheck's brakes (avid 6 shorty cantilevers) leave a little to be desired stopping me and the bike (I'm 185, it's 45, total is 230ish) when it's wet in the first place, and adding more weight with fenders (negligible as it is) won't help matters.

    I'm looking for fenders with 28mm tires, rack that can take panniers and a minimum of 20 pounds of weight, probably a triple, and probably using drop bars as I'm comfy with them and I'd like to take it up King's when it's raining. Given that it will probably be a tank, I'd like disc brakes. It'd also be nice to take a generator hub so I can mount lights and not worry about batteries and battery packs. I live on a decent hill (Just off Jefferson in RWC) so the bike's gearing can't be a 'only on the flats with a minor hill or two' thing that I never take up Kings.

    The Specialized Source Expert Disc looked good, but the ridiculous built in rack/fender only holds 10 pounds and looks wholly useless for panniers.

    Should I aim for a cheap aluminum cyclocross like the Trek CrossRip and slap on racks and lights? Get me a surly LHT? Any other good recommendations? I'm not opposed to buying a frame and building it (or having the LBS build it, if I'm honest) to suit.
    Last edited by scrubbo; 06-22-13 at 01:44 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    331
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a pair of mini-V brakes with Kool Stop salmon pads, or a new disc fork with a road BB7 on the front and a mini-V on the back and you'll have hugely better braking performance.

    The "naked" weight of the CC doesn't sound appealing. If you wanted another bike you could find something much more "performance oriented" used for less than you'd get a new rain bike.

  3. #3
    It's MY mountain DiabloScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mt.Diablo
    Posts
    5,671
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Specialized is $2000 and looks like something a commuter would ride 1 mile to the BART station.
    LHT with disc brakes is $1400 and looks like it loves rain.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

  4. #4
    Senior Member ericm979's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    Posts
    6,170
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd keep the cross check for rain/commuting and get a nice carbon Trek for everything else. Even at "only" 25 lbs without the rack that's a lot of extra weight compared to a road bike. My race bike is 13 lbs with the light wheels, 14 with training wheels.

    Put better brake pads or brakes on the cross check for rain. Maybe fit v brakes instead of cantis.

    My rain bike is a chinese carbon road frame. Rim brakes work ok in the rain for me, even going down Kings.

  5. #5
    Senior Member scrubbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am surprised nobody said the clear option was a LHT for rain AND a Domane (or equivalent) and to turn the Cross Check into a single speed.

    I was under the impression that Vs don't work with brifters, which is what I have on my crosscheck. I have a coolstop salmon on the rear brake, and will put one on the front when the one on it wears out. Hopefully that will improve the braking and reduce the squealing a bit.

    I agree that the Source is a little boring looking, but the reason I pointed it out was it had pretty much everything else I was looking for : disc brakes, drop bars, brifters, hub powered lights, etc. It's just the terrible integrated rack that makes it unusable in my case.

  6. #6
    Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Antioch, CA (SF Bay Area)
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Posts
    6,575
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Motobecane Fantom Outlaw commuter bike by ccorlew, on Flickr

    Perhaps?
    Though I'd just keep the Cross Check....
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

  7. #7
    Senior Member bikemig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Middle Earth
    My Bikes
    A lot of old bikes and a few new ones
    Posts
    5,030
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The BD windsor tourist would make a good rain bike/commuter: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/tourist.htm

    Also you could pick up a used bike on CL for this purpose; probably your cheapest option and you can get a pretty nice bike for short money.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    331
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scrubbo View Post
    I was under the impression that Vs don't work with brifters, which is what I have on my crosscheck. I have a coolstop salmon on the rear brake, and will put one on the front when the one on it wears out. Hopefully that will improve the braking and reduce the squealing
    "Mini-V's" are v-brakes that have shorter arms and thus work with brifters/road levers. I've got a parts bin full of high-zoot cantis, and none compare (in braking performance) to the cheapest mini-V's. I use a set of the Paul Comp's on my Ritchey CX that is mostly ridden as a road bike and I couldn't ask for anything more in braking. Mini-V's don't have as much mud clearance as a canti (plenty of tire clearance for the biggest CX knobbies though), but that shouldn't be an issue on the road.

  9. #9
    Senior Member longbeachgary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Beautiful Long Beach California
    My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
    Posts
    3,273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scrubbo View Post
    So, I have a Surly Crosscheck, and it is awesome. Recently I had debated about making it my 'rain bike' and getting a Trek Domane (they were on super sale, 900 bucks off the MSRP on the 5.2) but the wife put the kibosh on that. As a lark, I weighed the 'check before my commute in to work (which I usually climb Kings and the west side of Old La Honda before getting in to work... about 33 miles, 2 hours 10-20 minutes) and discovered my packed bike with work clothes in the pannier is 44.4 pounds. Without the work clothes, it's 37.8 (just my trunk bag with tools, tire, batteries for the lights,etc.)

    Now I'm thinking maybe I should strip everything off the Crosscheck (it's reasonably light 'naked' in the 25-26 pound range, I believe) and get a rain bike. The crosscheck's brakes (avid 6 shorty cantilevers) leave a little to be desired stopping me and the bike (I'm 185, it's 45, total is 230ish) when it's wet in the first place, and adding more weight with fenders (negligible as it is) won't help matters.

    I'm looking for fenders with 28mm tires, rack that can take panniers and a minimum of 20 pounds of weight, probably a triple, and probably using drop bars as I'm comfy with them and I'd like to take it up King's when it's raining. Given that it will probably be a tank, I'd like disc brakes. It'd also be nice to take a generator hub so I can mount lights and not worry about batteries and battery packs. I live on a decent hill (Just off Jefferson in RWC) so the bike's gearing can't be a 'only on the flats with a minor hill or two' thing that I never take up Kings.

    The Specialized Source Expert Disc looked good, but the ridiculous built in rack/fender only holds 10 pounds and looks wholly useless for panniers.

    Should I aim for a cheap aluminum cyclocross like the Trek CrossRip and slap on racks and lights? Get me a surly LHT? Any other good recommendations? I'm not opposed to buying a frame and building it (or having the LBS build it, if I'm honest) to suit.
    Isn't she going to squash this bike too?

  10. #10
    Senior Member scrubbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have about 2 grand saved up in my bike fund. Exceeding that amount required spousal approval.

    Plus, I think she likes having the lightest bike in the house.

  11. #11
    Senior Member scrubbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post

    Motobecane Fantom Outlaw commuter bike by ccorlew, on Flickr

    Perhaps?
    Though I'd just keep the Cross Check....
    That is a sexy commuter! If I get a 'rain bike' I will keep the 'check as my nice weather go fast bike!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •