Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Folsom Cyclebration: Gold Rush Century

    I'm signed up for the metric century, my first one.

    Anyone else participating in the half-metric, metric or century ride?

    http://folsomcyclebration.com/GRushMetricCentury.htm

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Near Sacramento
    Posts
    4,872
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife is. Not sure yet which distance. Stay hydrated. It's gonna be hot.
    -------

    Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelS View Post
    My wife is. Not sure yet which distance. Stay hydrated. It's gonna be hot.
    Thanks Joel. Should be interesting, lots of hills & heat. I'm definitely going hydration heavy!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northern Cali
    My Bikes
    2010 Marin Lucas Valley
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am signed up for the Metric as well. Looking forward to it. The course does not look to bad...at least on the way back...it is mostly down hill on Folsom/Auburn. Of the whole course...I think the climb that would be the most work is Baxter Grade. Now I have done that several times this year...so I know what to expect.

    Softreset...yeah hydrate tonight...and pace yourself tomorrow...it should be fun.
    2010 Marin Alp/Lucas Valley now lives on the trainer , 2011 Marin Apline Trail 29er, 2012 Giant Defy 2 Composite

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Loco.

    I'm anticipating a lot of sweating and grunting when I hit Baxter Grade at what appears to be just shy of the half way point for the metric. I don't do a lot with hills so I'm anticipating a very humbling experience, the derailleurs are going to be earning their stripes.

    Forecast looks pretty hot and miserable come mid-day tomorrow so I'm hoping to get started right @ 7:00 AM to minimize my time on the course when it's triple digits.

    See you out there!

  6. #6
    RacingBear UmneyDurak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    8,031
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wanted to do an Omnium, but crank borked. Although not sure if it would have been a good idea with jet lag (flew back Thursday evening) and two weeks of almost no riding and lots of German beer.
    I see hills.... Bring them on!!!
    Stay calm and bring a towel.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northern Cali
    My Bikes
    2010 Marin Lucas Valley
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by softreset View Post
    Thanks Loco.

    I'm anticipating a lot of sweating and grunting when I hit Baxter Grade at what appears to be just shy of the half way point for the metric. I don't do a lot with hills so I'm anticipating a very humbling experience, the derailleurs are going to be earning their stripes.

    Forecast looks pretty hot and miserable come mid-day tomorrow so I'm hoping to get started right @ 7:00 AM to minimize my time on the course when it's triple digits.

    See you out there!
    so how did you do? All week long the smoke really wasn;t that bad. Man today heading towards the 2nd work rest stop...you could really smell the smoke. We started@ 645....finished by 1205. Was a good route....Somewhere I ran through a bunch of little thorns...ended up with a rear flat...somewhere after going down MillerTown Rd..
    2010 Marin Alp/Lucas Valley now lives on the trainer , 2011 Marin Apline Trail 29er, 2012 Giant Defy 2 Composite

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Near Sacramento
    Posts
    4,872
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, my wife not only rode the century, but she added in another 30mi over and back from home. Very impressed. She said the smoke wasn't bad.
    -------

    Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoCycle View Post
    so how did you do? All week long the smoke really wasn;t that bad. Man today heading towards the 2nd work rest stop...you could really smell the smoke. We started@ 645....finished by 1205. Was a good route....Somewhere I ran through a bunch of little thorns...ended up with a rear flat...somewhere after going down MillerTown Rd..
    I was way out of my league. First, most of my riding is on the ARBT and commuting to Davis. Hills? I think my biggest "climb" is 60 feet. I had done several 35-40 mile "prep" rides over the last few weeks and felt real good with saddle comfort but nothing prepared me for the spirit crushing Baxter Grade and Lozano Road basically brought me to my knees.

    The good news, I finished. The bad news, at over 6 hours of bike time and 8 hours and 45 minutes of travel time I got blitzed by the asphalt furnace on the Folsom climb and the last 12 miles took as long as the first 30. I frequently stopped to hydrate and slow my HR.

    I didn't get hurt, I didn't get sick, none of my equipment was lost, stolen or damaged and I can put on my 'resume' that I've completed a metric century. At 265+ pounds and having only been back on a bike (after 10+ years off it) for 9 weeks I'm pretty proud of that.

    As far as smoke... I didn't really experience any difficulties from it yesterday. But today, I have this brutal chest cough that I only get when I'm exposed to smoke.

    It was a great event. All the turns were marked, the rest stops were staffed with friendly people, the snacks/food were great. I don't know if I'll ever do it again without significant climbing work over the next year but I'd definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to really test their ability from the greater-Sacramento area.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Near Sacramento
    Posts
    4,872
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job on completing it! Next year you'll be ready for the 100!
    -------

    Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northern Cali
    My Bikes
    2010 Marin Lucas Valley
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by softreset View Post
    I was way out of my league. First, most of my riding is on the ARBT and commuting to Davis. Hills? I think my biggest "climb" is 60 feet. I had done several 35-40 mile "prep" rides over the last few weeks and felt real good with saddle comfort but nothing prepared me for the spirit crushing Baxter Grade and Lozano Road basically brought me to my knees.

    The good news, I finished. The bad news, at over 6 hours of bike time and 8 hours and 45 minutes of travel time I got blitzed by the asphalt furnace on the Folsom climb and the last 12 miles took as long as the first 30. I frequently stopped to hydrate and slow my HR.

    I didn't get hurt, I didn't get sick, none of my equipment was lost, stolen or damaged and I can put on my 'resume' that I've completed a metric century. At 265+ pounds and having only been back on a bike (after 10+ years off it) for 9 weeks I'm pretty proud of that.

    As far as smoke... I didn't really experience any difficulties from it yesterday. But today, I have this brutal chest cough that I only get when I'm exposed to smoke.

    It was a great event. All the turns were marked, the rest stops were staffed with friendly people, the snacks/food were great. I don't know if I'll ever do it again without significant climbing work over the next year but I'd definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to really test their ability from the greater-Sacramento area.
    Awesome job....you finished!!!! Lozanos....isn't as bad as you think? But after Baxter Grade...it would feel pretty bad. Another great ride to work on hills in the Tour De Lincoln in May. I have done it twice...I think it would be harder than yesterday. It has Baxter grade, and Ridge Rd.

    Yesterday...as we were flying down MillerTown Rd...I was thinking...m so glad we are not climbing this one!
    So do you have any other organzied rides on your calendar for the year? I have two more...the Konocti Challenge, and the Foxy's fall century..

    Yeah you got off the ARBT to work hills...keep up the good work!
    2010 Marin Alp/Lucas Valley now lives on the trainer , 2011 Marin Apline Trail 29er, 2012 Giant Defy 2 Composite

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Near Sacramento
    Posts
    4,872
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoCycle View Post
    Awesome job....you finished!!!! Lozanos....isn't as bad as you think? But after Baxter Grade...it would feel pretty bad. Another great ride to work on hills in the Tour De Lincoln in May. I have done it twice...I think it would be harder than yesterday. It has Baxter grade, and Ridge Rd.

    Yesterday...as we were flying down MillerTown Rd...I was thinking...m so glad we are not climbing this one!
    So do you have any other organzied rides on your calendar for the year? I have two more...the Konocti Challenge, and the Foxy's fall century..

    Yeah you got off the ARBT to work hills...keep up the good work!
    Millertown isn't much of a climb, I found it disappointingly easy. Rather go climb Bald or Baxter or Ridge ;-). There are a couple of steep short pitches, but that's about it. Fun descent though!
    -------

    Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoCycle View Post
    Awesome job....you finished!!!! Lozanos....isn't as bad as you think? But after Baxter Grade...it would feel pretty bad. Another great ride to work on hills in the Tour De Lincoln in May. I have done it twice...I think it would be harder than yesterday. It has Baxter grade, and Ridge Rd.
    Lozanos was just a spirit crusher, more than anything. I was already out of gas by that point and what little energy I had in the tank it was all gone by then. I had also been on the course (at that point for over 5 hours) and while my mind may have been ready, my body was not. If anything the ride taught me a lot about preparedness.

    I'm committed to the Tour De Fuzz next weekend (metric century) and that has far less climbing. I was considering the 62 mile distance for Levi's GranFondo but in looking over the course map I think I'm going to sit that one out. I feel as though it could be a repeat of yesterday and I don't believe in less than a month I can prepare myself physically for another 4000+ climb day.

    Miller Town Road was quite fun, there were a couple of sections I took waaaaay too fast. Even a few riders following me commented afterwards, especially considering I had no idea what turn (and how sharp) was coming up next. Definitely a few white knuckle moments.

    All in all, a great day. The team that put it together and the crew in the Folsom Cycle kits who were "ride patrons" (I think is what they were called) were all super nice and courteous. Especially considering several times they passed me while I was catching my breath on the side of the road, every time one of them slowed and verbally confirmed I was ok.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northern Cali
    My Bikes
    2010 Marin Lucas Valley
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by softreset View Post
    Lozanos was just a spirit crusher, more than anything. I was already out of gas by that point and what little energy I had in the tank it was all gone by then. I had also been on the course (at that point for over 5 hours) and while my mind may have been ready, my body was not. If anything the ride taught me a lot about preparedness.

    I'm committed to the Tour De Fuzz next weekend (metric century) and that has far less climbing. I was considering the 62 mile distance for Levi's GranFondo but in looking over the course map I think I'm going to sit that one out. I feel as though it could be a repeat of yesterday and I don't believe in less than a month I can prepare myself physically for another 4000+ climb day.

    Miller Town Road was quite fun, there were a couple of sections I took waaaaay too fast. Even a few riders following me commented afterwards, especially considering I had no idea what turn (and how sharp) was coming up next. Definitely a few white knuckle moments.

    All in all, a great day. The team that put it together and the crew in the Folsom Cycle kits who were "ride patrons" (I think is what they were called) were all super nice and courteous. Especially considering several times they passed me while I was catching my breath on the side of the road, every time one of them slowed and verbally confirmed I was ok.
    I have never heard of the Tour De Fuzz....so I checked it out....after this last weekend....it should be a great and fun ride for you. Keep us updated how it goes?
    2010 Marin Alp/Lucas Valley now lives on the trainer , 2011 Marin Apline Trail 29er, 2012 Giant Defy 2 Composite

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •