Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Northern California Northern California

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-13, 12:37 PM   #26
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Bikes:
Posts: 6,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Cal Fire – “Morgan Fire Caused by Target Shooting”


Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 09-13-13 at 01:15 PM. Reason: filter
DiabloScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-13, 12:56 PM   #27
gw_12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pleasanton, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not surprising. I've seen and heard people target shooting on the northern end of Morgan Terr Rd several times while riding there in the last few years.
gw_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 09:06 PM   #28
cthenn
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Bikes: 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, 2016 Devinci Hatchet, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.
Posts: 1,310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
Cal Fire – “Morgan Fire Caused by Target Shooting”

Guns...is there anything they CAN'T do? *sarcasm /off*
cthenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-13, 11:43 AM   #29
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Bikes:
Posts: 6,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
"All roads to The Park are open."

837-2525 road closure infoline.
DiabloScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-13, 01:49 PM   #30
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down
 
bikingshearer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Democratic Peoples' Republic of Berkeley
Bikes: 1967 Paramount, 1982-ish Ron Cooper,1986 De Rosa Professional, 1978 Eisentraut "A," 1961 BianchiCompetizione, 1994 Trek 520, 199? Burley Bossa Nova, early-1970s Cinelli Speciale Corsa
Posts: 3,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
Cal Fire – “Morgan Fire Caused by Target Shooting”

I think we just identified one or more volunteers to be targets . . . .
__________________
"I'm in shape -- round is a shape." Andy Rooney
bikingshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-13, 02:17 PM   #31
Leinster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 2,088
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
Cal Fire – “Morgan Fire Caused by Target Shooting”


Waitasec... guns don't start wildfires...
Leinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-13, 02:26 PM   #32
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Bikes:
Posts: 6,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leinster View Post
Waitasec... guns don't start wildfires...
I'm not really pro or anti gun... it's not my thing but I know lots of people who enjoy them and use them responsibly.

I wouldn't have put target shooting very high up on the list of things that might cause a fire though - it just doesn't seem that risky. I wonder if the target shooters were smoking at the time.
DiabloScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-13, 05:43 PM   #33
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down
 
bikingshearer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Democratic Peoples' Republic of Berkeley
Bikes: 1967 Paramount, 1982-ish Ron Cooper,1986 De Rosa Professional, 1978 Eisentraut "A," 1961 BianchiCompetizione, 1994 Trek 520, 199? Burley Bossa Nova, early-1970s Cinelli Speciale Corsa
Posts: 3,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
I'm not really pro or anti gun... it's not my thing but I know lots of people who enjoy them and use them responsibly.

I wouldn't have put target shooting very high up on the list of things that might cause a fire though - it just doesn't seem that risky. I wonder if the target shooters were smoking at the time.
That is a possibility, but the shooting itself could have done it. Bullets ricocheting off rocks causes sparks. Sparks in inopportune places cause dry grass to ignite. And so forth.

Between one or more target shooters causing teh Morgan Fire and a bow hunter's illegl camp fire causing the Rim Fire, it hasn't exactly been a banner season, PR-wise, for folks bearng arms.
__________________
"I'm in shape -- round is a shape." Andy Rooney
bikingshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-13, 07:23 PM   #34
JoelS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Near Sacramento
Bikes:
Posts: 4,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikingshearer View Post
That is a possibility, but the shooting itself could have done it. Bullets ricocheting off rocks causes sparks. Sparks in inopportune places cause dry grass to ignite. And so forth.

Between one or more target shooters causing teh Morgan Fire and a bow hunter's illegl camp fire causing the Rim Fire, it hasn't exactly been a banner season, PR-wise, for folks bearng arms.
Bullets are lead, or lead covered with copper. That doesn't cause sparks, you need steel for that. However, if the shooter was using black powder, that CAN start a fire. I've done it myself at the range, and put it right out. Black powder continues to burn as it leaves the muzzle and can start a fire if the embers land on dry grass or brush. Modern smokeless powder doesn't do that.
__________________
-------

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
JoelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-13, 07:33 PM   #35
LexKing
Senior Member
 
LexKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South Central, KY
Bikes: Jamis Hybrid
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some person of borderline intelligence was most likely shooting tracers, if the fire was started by target practice.

Last edited by LexKing; 09-17-13 at 07:46 PM.
LexKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-13, 08:43 PM   #36
cthenn
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Bikes: 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, 2016 Devinci Hatchet, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.
Posts: 1,310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
"All roads to The Park are open."

837-2525 road closure infoline.
If anyone takes pics on their way up or down in the next week or so, please post! I'm planning on riding up to the summit tomorrow evening, so I'll take some with my crappy cell phone camera.
cthenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-13, 12:15 PM   #37
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Northern CA
Bikes:
Posts: 10,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexKing View Post
Some person of borderline intelligence was most likely shooting tracers, if the fire was started by target practice.

Well - before we get the rope and pick out a tree, we might consider the "facts" that are known so far:

A resident heard what she presumed was gunfire.
She presumed it was coming from private property that has been used for target practice in the past.
CAL FIRE presumed someone in the area did something associated with the act of target shooting which caused a spark, or something, which caused the fire.
The press proudly announces "Morgan fire caused by target shooters", like it is a verified finding.

They are still investigating the cause of the fire AFAIK, but it could just as easily been a catalytic converter, cigarette smoker, someone burning weeds on their property, kids smoking dope, or any one of a dozen or more possibilities.

Excuse me for being a skeptic, but the press doesn't really do much vetting of sources and "facts" anymore. Every time I have had first-hand knowledge about something I've seen reported on, the account is misleading, factually wrong, omitting critical information, and most often poorly written. Journalism is not what it once was. In the 24 hour news cycle, they are just too pressured to be the first to break the story to be as careful as they should be in checking things for veracity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikingshearer View Post
That is a possibility, but the shooting itself could have done it. Bullets ricocheting off rocks causes sparks. Sparks in inopportune places cause dry grass to ignite. And so forth.

Between one or more target shooters causing teh Morgan Fire and a bow hunter's illegl camp fire causing the Rim Fire, it hasn't exactly been a banner season, PR-wise, for folks bearng arms.
1) Lead and copper do not spark when hitting rock, or anything else.... except maybe in the movies. Ricochet - yes, spark - no.

2) conflicting reports on the Rim Fire alternatively pin it on an illegal grow site. Since the "hunter" was claimed to be known but was never identified with no further information was forthcoming, I'm skeptical.
__________________
"Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin, itís the triumphant twang of a bedspring."

S. J. Perelman

Last edited by bigbossman; 09-18-13 at 12:28 PM.
bigbossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-13, 07:12 AM   #38
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Bikes:
Posts: 6,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Made it as far as the Livermore Valley Overlook last night and didn't see a hint of fire damage. NGR is normal.


Last edited by DiabloScott; 09-19-13 at 08:31 AM.
DiabloScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-13, 09:29 PM   #39
cthenn
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Bikes: 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, 2016 Devinci Hatchet, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.
Posts: 1,310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
Made it as far as the Livermore Valley Overlook last night and didn't see a hint of fire damage. NGR is normal.

LOL DiabloScott, that's me in the Diablo jersey at 0:10! I was jamming, trying to get up before dark. Made it up to the top, but I didn't take photos until I started back. By then it was too dark, and my cell phone's camera is garbage. But here are a few of the least crappy ones. Once you turn the corner at about 2570' (per Google Earth), about a quarter mile from the Blue Oak Picnic area, it's all burned on the east side of the road, and some on the other side. It looks pretty bad, but a lot of the trees look like they'll make it. The manzanita and other shrubs were toast. Further up the road, there is retardant on the road in places, as well as some dried up mud. Also, there is some minor damage to the road, as it looks like they had some kind of tracked dozer or something on the road. Some of the pavement has track marks on it, which feels like riding on a washboard. Also, some of the pavement near the edge is broken, from the tracks. It's not terrible, but it's too bad because the road is nice and new up there.


First one is from the summit looking east.


From a mile or so down Summit Road. This is one area where the fire jumped the road and burned on the west side of the road.


From just below Blue Oak Picnic area, looking east. It's quite a shock when you turn that corner...


Crappy quality I know, but it was really cool being up there alone. There was no one at the summit when I got there, and no one came up or down when I rode down. By the time I got to the junction, it was pitch black, and only the full moon gave me a bit of light. I couldn't see the road hardly at all, and I was just hoping not to hit any potholes or cracks. Cold too, forgot my vest! But...it was really cool overall, to have the mountain all to myself after dark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0918131915.jpg (95.4 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 0918131923.jpg (84.7 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 0918131927a.jpg (83.3 KB, 114 views)
cthenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-13, 11:33 AM   #40
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Bikes:
Posts: 6,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthenn View Post
LOL DiabloScott, that's me in the Diablo jersey at 0:10! I was jamming, trying to get up before dark.
You mean you were going that fast up the whole Mountain?

Usually when somebody passes me that fast, it's because they saw my video camera and want to look good for my blog post; so they burn a match and then fade when they're out of screen.
DiabloScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-13, 12:10 PM   #41
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down
 
bikingshearer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Democratic Peoples' Republic of Berkeley
Bikes: 1967 Paramount, 1982-ish Ron Cooper,1986 De Rosa Professional, 1978 Eisentraut "A," 1961 BianchiCompetizione, 1994 Trek 520, 199? Burley Bossa Nova, early-1970s Cinelli Speciale Corsa
Posts: 3,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelS View Post
Bullets are lead, or lead covered with copper. That doesn't cause sparks, you need steel for that. However, if the shooter was using black powder, that CAN start a fire. I've done it myself at the range, and put it right out. Black powder continues to burn as it leaves the muzzle and can start a fire if the embers land on dry grass or brush. Modern smokeless powder doesn't do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
Well - before we get the rope and pick out a tree, we might consider the "facts" that are known so far:

A resident heard what she presumed was gunfire.
She presumed it was coming from private property that has been used for target practice in the past.
CAL FIRE presumed someone in the area did something associated with the act of target shooting which caused a spark, or something, which caused the fire.
The press proudly announces "Morgan fire caused by target shooters", like it is a verified finding.

They are still investigating the cause of the fire AFAIK, but it could just as easily been a catalytic converter, cigarette smoker, someone burning weeds on their property, kids smoking dope, or any one of a dozen or more possibilities.

Excuse me for being a skeptic, but the press doesn't really do much vetting of sources and "facts" anymore. Every time I have had first-hand knowledge about something I've seen reported on, the account is misleading, factually wrong, omitting critical information, and most often poorly written. Journalism is not what it once was. In the 24 hour news cycle, they are just too pressured to be the first to break the story to be as careful as they should be in checking things for veracity.



1) Lead and copper do not spark when hitting rock, or anything else.... except maybe in the movies. Ricochet - yes, spark - no.

2) conflicting reports on the Rim Fire alternatively pin it on an illegal grow site. Since the "hunter" was claimed to be known but was never identified with no further information was forthcoming, I'm skeptical.
Hey, I've already made up my mind here. How dare you two try to confuse me with facts . . . .
__________________
"I'm in shape -- round is a shape." Andy Rooney
bikingshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-13, 02:27 PM   #42
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Bikes:
Posts: 6,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)


Called this my Fire and Rain ride.

Anyway, once you get near The Pines picnic area, there's burned patches all the rest of the way to Summit. This valley though seemed to be the worst - from The Pines and all the little picnic area up to Toyon. Most of the picnic grounds were closed with danger signs on them. Muir, which is one of my favorite Diablo Spy Cam locations is totally charred and there's literally nothing left of the picnic table or the outhouse.
DiabloScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-13, 12:05 AM   #43
gbwindman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rode to the summit opening day (Monday), Wednesday, and Friday. Yes, lots of acreage burned. Good news, bad news. The bad news is that the fire was human in origin, putting numerous people and structures in harms way, and the cost of fighting the fire will be the burden of the tax payers. The good news is that in the long run the mountain will be healthier!
During these three rides, I saw four tarantulas, one raccoon, two bobcats, and a chickadee bathing in a drinking fountain basin.
gbwindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-13, 01:59 PM   #44
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Bikes:
Posts: 6,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
Well - before we get the rope and pick out a tree, we might consider the "facts" that are known so far:

A resident heard what she presumed was gunfire.
She presumed it was coming from private property that has been used for target practice in the past.
CAL FIRE presumed someone in the area did something associated with the act of target shooting which caused a spark, or something, which caused the fire.
The press proudly announces "Morgan fire caused by target shooters", like it is a verified finding.
The press is just reporting that CalFire has determined that target shooting was the cause. Then the press reports that CalFire won't release any details about how they know that.

That's what I've seen in all the big media and local news reports.

https://vimeo.com/75164957

Last edited by DiabloScott; 09-22-13 at 06:02 PM.
DiabloScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-13, 08:01 PM   #45
gsa103
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SF Bay Area
Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)
Posts: 2,722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
The press is just reporting that CalFire has determined that target shooting was the cause. Then the press reports that CalFire won't release any details about how they know that.

That's what I've seen in all the big media and local news reports.

https://vimeo.com/75164957
LOL! I'm the cyclist in black going up the hill at the 3:30 mark with my riding partner. I noticed you filming, but figured there was no way it was actually you.
I see you got caught by the rain. I had just gotten back in my car when the skies opened.

I noticed that the sight lines near the top are much better. So at least the descents are a little safer.

Last edited by gsa103; 09-22-13 at 08:07 PM.
gsa103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-13, 09:55 PM   #46
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953
 
cccorlew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Antioch, CA (SF Bay Area)
Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
Posts: 6,766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rode to the summit with LanceOldStrong and MyLittlePony Sunday, the first day of fall.
I kept thinking how much worse it might have been.
Of course, I made photos.


First day Fall, Diablo summmit_post fire by ccorlew, on Flickr
cccorlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-13, 12:51 AM   #47
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Bikes:
Posts: 6,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsa103 View Post
figured there was no way it was actually you.
Yeah, cuz I'm the last guy you'd expect to see on Diablo on a Saturday morning.

DiabloScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-13, 12:08 PM   #48
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down
 
bikingshearer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Democratic Peoples' Republic of Berkeley
Bikes: 1967 Paramount, 1982-ish Ron Cooper,1986 De Rosa Professional, 1978 Eisentraut "A," 1961 BianchiCompetizione, 1994 Trek 520, 199? Burley Bossa Nova, early-1970s Cinelli Speciale Corsa
Posts: 3,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
Yeah, cuz I'm the last guy you'd expect to see on Diablo on a Saturday morning.

You mean you do actually ride up Diablo on Saturday mornings? Who knew . . . .
__________________
"I'm in shape -- round is a shape." Andy Rooney
bikingshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-13, 12:44 PM   #49
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Bikes:
Posts: 6,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikingshearer View Post
You mean you do actually ride up Diablo on Saturday mornings? Who knew . . . .

The Strava knows...
http://www.strava.com/athletes/697607


Last edited by DiabloScott; 09-23-13 at 12:55 PM.
DiabloScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-13, 01:56 PM   #50
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953
 
cccorlew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Antioch, CA (SF Bay Area)
Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
Posts: 6,766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just figured he meant it was like seeing a movie star, or Santa Claus. You know they're out there but you don't really expect to see them live.
cccorlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:10 AM.