Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Northern California (http://www.bikeforums.net/northern-california/)
-   -   Diablo Challenge 2013 (http://www.bikeforums.net/northern-california/916581-diablo-challenge-2013-a.html)

DiabloScott 10-05-13 07:24 PM

Diablo Challenge 2013
 
Looks like it'll be great weather - probably a little windy though if today's any indication.

I saw them changing the portapotties in the Lower Lot this morning, but there's still only three or four of them there... plan ahead Challengers.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-a.../s800/John.jpg

Post your results and photos here.

Specialized2k10 10-06-13 05:24 AM

Can you be a spectator? I read that n gate is closed which messes up my plan of climbing n gate to junction.

cccorlew 10-06-13 06:12 PM

I lived!
Here's a blog post with photos
http://ccorlew.blogspot.com/2013/10/...enge-2013.html

I hit a boatload of Strava PRs including one for the entire climb. I'm still slow, but less slow than I ever have been.
Official slowness = 1:15:34:9

I have a photo of the results page, but I have no clue what some of the columns are. Hopefully they will post online and I'll be able to figure it all out.

I'd love to be faster, but this was a good effort for me.

gpelpel 10-06-13 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cccorlew (Post 16138127)
Official slowness = 1:15:34:9


Slow??? That's faster than my own PR... and that was a few years ago at my peak!

I would say you did fantastic. Congrats!

bobonker 10-06-13 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cccorlew (Post 16138127)
I lived!
Here's a blog post with photos
http://ccorlew.blogspot.com/2013/10/...enge-2013.html

I hit a boatload of Strava PRs including one for the entire climb. I'm still slow, but less slow than I ever have been.
Official slowness = 1:15:34:9

I have a photo of the results page, but I have no clue what some of the columns are. Hopefully they will post online and I'll be able to figure it all out.

I'd love to be faster, but this was a good effort for me.

Very nice work! Congrats. :thumb:

Bob

Beaker 10-07-13 11:34 PM

Great work curtis! I'm impressed.

BenRidin 10-09-13 10:11 AM

I had a goal of 1:03.00
Made it up in 1:00.21
Playing it back in my mind, there were areas where I could have pushed harder.
Am I bummed for not breaking the 1 hour barrier? Not a bit. I'm just happy to be out there on the bike.

BR

cthenn 10-09-13 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cccorlew (Post 16138127)
I lived!
Here's a blog post with photos
http://ccorlew.blogspot.com/2013/10/...enge-2013.html

I hit a boatload of Strava PRs including one for the entire climb. I'm still slow, but less slow than I ever have been.
Official slowness = 1:15:34:9

I have a photo of the results page, but I have no clue what some of the columns are. Hopefully they will post online and I'll be able to figure it all out.

I'd love to be faster, but this was a good effort for me.



Did you do that drawing on your race number? That's pretty awesome! :thumb:

cthenn 10-09-13 03:10 PM

I've never done this ride, not super fond of huge groups. But how does the timing work? I assume the starting "area" is quite a long line, so those in front of the area already have a several second starting advantage. I know they start riders in multiple groups, but how does the timing work with all of the people in the back having to wait for everyone else in front of them start? Seems you'd lose a good minute or more just at the start waiting to get started, and then having to work your way through the crowds...

With the NG ITT, they have an actual ramp and individual starts...not possible with this ride, but if I did commit to it, I'd want to be able to go 100% as soon as the "gun" went off, not have to wait for hundreds of people in front of me to get going.

cccorlew 10-09-13 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cthenn (Post 16146963)
Did you do that drawing on your race number? That's pretty awesome! :thumb:

It's theirs, on shirts nd jerseys.
Quote:

Originally Posted by cthenn (Post 16146968)
I've never done this ride, not super fond of huge groups. But how does the timing work?

Chips on you ankle. Waves of starters get a rolling start, so my time matches my Garmin really well.

DiabloScott 10-09-13 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cccorlew (Post 16147289)
my time matches my Garmin really well.


Inexplicably, it's 13 seconds slower than my Strava segment indicates.
http://www.strava.com/segments/5704921

I wonder if they put the timing sensor somewhere other than the official start line.

[TABLE="class: striped, width: 906"]
[TR]
[TD]2
[/TD]
[TD="class: athlete"]Curtis Corlew
[/TD]
[TD]Oct 6, 2013
[/TD]
[TD]9.0mi/h
[/TD]
[TD]159bpm
[/TD]
[TD]193W http://d26ifou2tyrp3u.cloudfront.net...717584e995.png
[/TD]
[TD]788
[/TD]
[TD="class: last-child"]1:15:21
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

As the deity of Diablo Strava Segments, this concerns me.

cccorlew 10-09-13 05:53 PM

There are several Diablo Challenge segments, though I'm sure none are as accurate and cool as yours.
I get times of:

01:15:21
01:15:24
01:15:16
01:15:17
on the different segments

I believe the fastest time is the most accurate, and the reading with the highest elevation gain is also the most accurate.

Oh, my pushing the button on my Garmin gave me
01:15:24, as opposed to 1:15:34 chip time. That's only 10 seconds difference, and I know it took me a few secs — heck, it could have been 10 — to stop after I crossed the line.

Beaker 10-09-13 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cthenn (Post 16146968)
I've never done this ride, not super fond of huge groups. But how does the timing work? I assume the starting "area" is quite a long line, so those in front of the area already have a several second starting advantage. I know they start riders in multiple groups, but how does the timing work with all of the people in the back having to wait for everyone else in front of them start? Seems you'd lose a good minute or more just at the start waiting to get started, and then having to work your way through the crowds...

With the NG ITT, they have an actual ramp and individual starts...not possible with this ride, but if I did commit to it, I'd want to be able to go 100% as soon as the "gun" went off, not have to wait for hundreds of people in front of me to get going.

It's not that bad, you should give it a go, just pick the right wave to start with.


Quote:

Originally Posted by cccorlew (Post 16147416)
There are several Diablo Challenge segments, though I'm sure none are as accurate and cool as yours.
I get times of:

01:15:21
01:15:24
01:15:16
01:15:17
on the different segments

I believe the fastest time is the most accurate, and the reading with the highest elevation gain is also the most accurate.

Oh, my pushing the button on my Garmin gave me
01:15:24, as opposed to 1:15:34 chip time. That's only 10 seconds difference, and I know it took me a few secs — heck, it could have been 10 — to stop after I crossed the line.

I've always assumed that the official time is the time between the starting gun for that wave and when your timing chip crosses the finishing pad at the summit. If you're further back in the wave, you'll actually cross the start line a few seconds after the gun goes.

LtDan 11-26-13 10:54 PM

Does the club still give T-shirts for those that finish under an hour? That is one tee-shirt I refuse to discard after 25 years......

cccorlew 11-28-13 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtDan (Post 16281801)
Does the club still give T-shirts for those that finish under an hour? That is one tee-shirt I refuse to discard after 25 years......

Not that I'll ever get one, but, yes they do.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:18 PM.