Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Northern California (http://www.bikeforums.net/northern-california/)
-   -   SFPD Bust Prius Driver for Harassing Cyclist, Charge with Assault (http://www.bikeforums.net/northern-california/924339-sfpd-bust-prius-driver-harassing-cyclist-charge-assault.html)

bjorke 11-30-13 03:27 PM

SFPD Bust Prius Driver for Harassing Cyclist, Charge with Assault
 
http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancis...nt?oid=2634966

cannondale125 11-30-13 03:31 PM

Maybe the Prius idiot learned a lesson!! Glad the rider is ok ))

phoebeisis 11-30-13 03:38 PM

Prius vs Bike???
I really shouldn't mention the obvious-but I will
ONLY IN CALIFORNIA

I'm amazed they arrested the driver-
The report didn't mention witnesses
there must have been witnesses, right?

The report indicated the Prius driver "brake checked" the rider-
that was it???
Gotta be more to the story than that-maybe the driver has some history of this?
Just don't picture anyone being arrested for slamming on the brakes
"cat ran across the road"
Gotta' be more to it than what the report said.
It is illegal to slam on your brakes for the intention of causing a wreck-but how in the world do you prove that?
Besides-you aren't supposed to follow so closely that you can be brake checked.

bhchdh 11-30-13 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoebeisis (Post 16290460)
Besides-you aren't supposed to follow so closely that you can be brake checked.

The cyclis was not following too closely until the driver swerved in front of him.

Beaker 11-30-13 04:08 PM

^^The article states that the driver sped around the cyclist after exchanging words and then braked - we all know that cars can stop in a much shorter distance than a bike can.

Remember this situation from SoCal a couple of years back? http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...sentenced.html

In all seriousness, I wager that that the tensions between cyclists and motorists get a lot more attention from the SFPD than you get in NO.

phoebeisis 11-30-13 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhchdh (Post 16290491)
The cyclis was not following to closely until the driver swerved in front of him.

OK-Makes sense- swerved in front-jammed on brakes.
Cars can certainly out brake bikes.
I'm just surprised the cops just more or less took the riders word for it?
Gotta be more to it-witnesses- or perhaps the driver has some history of this behavior?

In any case it is always against the law to intentionally try to cause an accident.

Yes you are right- car vs bike tension would be small potatoes for NOPD-
them busy with all the shootings/murders- and with their own thuggery thievery raping etc.

Dchiefransom 11-30-13 10:04 PM

Cops are taught to ask questions the right way to get info the suspect does not really want to give. Maybe this cop was good at it. 'You're &$#@*!^&% right I ordered the Code Red !!!!".

Shimagnolo 11-30-13 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dchiefransom (Post 16291073)
'You're &$#@*!^&% right I ordered the Code Red !!!!".

:lol:

cthenn 11-30-13 10:32 PM

Prius drivers...*exactly* everything you think they are. Sorry Prius drivers (not really) ;)

caloso 11-30-13 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoebeisis (Post 16290460)
Prius vs Bike???
I really shouldn't mention the obvious-but I will
ONLY IN CALIFORNIA

I'm amazed they arrested the driver-
The report didn't mention witnesses
there must have been witnesses, right?

The report indicated the Prius driver "brake checked" the rider-
that was it???
Gotta be more to the story than that-maybe the driver has some history of this?
Just don't picture anyone being arrested for slamming on the brakes
"cat ran across the road"
Gotta' be more to it than what the report said.
It is illegal to slam on your brakes for the intention of causing a wreck-but how in the world do you prove that?
Besides-you aren't supposed to follow so closely that you can be brake checked.

Why? Do they not have Priuses in other states?

phoebeisis 12-01-13 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 16291191)
Why? Do they not have Priuses in other states?

Bad joke-cheap shot at CA.
Guessing I will keep my day job

prathmann 12-01-13 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoebeisis (Post 16290618)
OK-Makes sense- swerved in front-jammed on brakes.
Cars can certainly out brake bikes.
I'm just surprised the cops just more or less took the riders word for it?
Gotta be more to it-witnesses- or perhaps the driver has some history of this behavior?

In the southern Ca case some of the most damaging evidence were the words of the driver himself - both on his 911 call and to the responding police officer. That may have been the case here as well - especially if the police were clever in how they conducted their questioning.

Shimagnolo 12-01-13 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cthenn (Post 16291121)
Prius drivers...*exactly* everything you think they are. Sorry Prius drivers (not really) ;)

We have had lots of Prius's here in the Boulder area ever since they were introduced.
My subjective observation is that there seem to be two very different types of drivers:
a) Extremely cautious and courteous.
b) Totally unpredictable.

phoebeisis 12-01-13 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prathmann (Post 16291578)
In the southern Ca case some of the most damaging evidence were the words of the driver himself - both on his 911 call and to the responding police officer. That may have been the case here as well - especially if the police were clever in how they conducted their questioning.

Fair chance you are right. Police officers aren't stupid-and they are EXTREMELY good at getting folks to talk-
It always amazes me at how good they are-everyone watches TV- they KNOW you get convicted because you didn't shut up.
But only hardened criminals actually shut up-other folks think they can outsmart the cops. ZERO CHANCE.

I drive a 2006 Prius and a 1998 used 224,000 mile suburban(NOLA need to evacuate 4 cats 1 leggy dog 2 adults).
I rarely get to drive the prius-son and wife monopolize it-they don't like driving the cumbersome suburban(no kidding)
It is a low use-3000 miles per year vehicle-and I hyper mile it-so fuel cost TCO not too bad( if you DIY repair-otherwise TCO is high).

Prius drivers 3 types-
1)some -a few- hyper mile-in which case they are very attentive to their driving-safe drivers-not in a hurry.The electric drive means at under 33 mph-they will read 99mpg-so happy to stay behind lane controller(33 level hy-uphill the ICE will kick on)
2) a few drive as if they have an invisible force field around them-because of their inherent "goodness"-they are unpredictable -except expect the worst!
3)The rest-most-just drive like everyone else-which means not so good but not malignant.

Prius-low TCO- very reliable-good thing since very little room under hood- a bear to replace repair parts-but same story most modern cars-

Beaker 12-01-13 12:24 PM

For my $0.02, I've heard a lot of anti-Prius driver rhetoric and I don't really buy into it. They were a novelty on the roads a few years ago and then as hey became more ubiquitous around here, everyone had their favorite bad-Prius-driver story. In reality, I'm not convinced that they're being driven any worse than any other automobile. It's just like the car vs bike debate - unfortunately their are good and bad in all social groups. Of course, there are quite different consequences to those on the wrong end of a bad car vs a bad bike owner, but that's a whole other discussion.

B. Carfree 12-04-13 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaker (Post 16292052)
For my $0.02, I've heard a lot of anti-Prius driver rhetoric and I don't really buy into it. They were a novelty on the roads a few years ago and then as hey became more ubiquitous around here, everyone had their favorite bad-Prius-driver story. In reality, I'm not convinced that they're being driven any worse than any other automobile. It's just like the car vs bike debate - unfortunately their are good and bad in all social groups. Of course, there are quite different consequences to those on the wrong end of a bad car vs a bad bike owner, but that's a whole other discussion.

Five years ago, the majority of the Pious drivers I encountered were extremely aggressive towards cyclists. I think they were upset at being "outgreened". Over the past couple of years, as they have become more common, they seem to be being driven just like any other car. Now, those Leafs... (just kidding)

Tycho Brahe 12-05-13 11:51 AM

The two types of cars that I look out for the most: pickups and Priuses (Priuii?).

Standalone 12-05-13 12:02 PM

My 2010 Prius does NOT have good sight lines. You have to be extra attentive to compensate for what is actually rather poor visibility. Might have something to do with a reputation. No comment on state-by-state comparison.

leicanthrope 12-05-13 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B. Carfree (Post 16302418)
Five years ago, the majority of the Pious drivers I encountered were extremely aggressive towards cyclists.

If that wasn't intentional, that was probably one of the most awesome typos I've seen in a while.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:34 PM.