Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Northern California (http://www.bikeforums.net/northern-california/)
-   -   Sequoia Century June 1, 2014 (starts in Los Altos) (http://www.bikeforums.net/northern-california/937073-sequoia-century-june-1-2014-starts-los-altos.html)

johnny99 03-06-14 09:37 PM

Sequoia Century June 1, 2014 (starts in Los Altos)
 
Sequoia Century registration is now open. Who's going?
http://www.westernwheelersbicycleclu...ge.com/sequoia

JakiChan 03-10-14 02:47 AM

There'll be about 2500 of us going in the opposite direction. That won't be a hassle at all...

Alphamoose 03-10-14 02:02 PM

Us?

JakiChan 03-10-14 03:05 PM

ALC. It's always the 1st week in June, as this event is.

rdtompki 03-14-14 05:42 PM

Anyone care to comment on what sort of weather this ride has experienced? I live in the bay area and assume early am, shaded (?) climbs probably makes for reasonable weather that time of year. OTOH, whether I pick the 100K (very likely) or the 50 mile ride, there is no lack of climbing for a senior citizen. I did do my 68+ mile b'day ride last November with 6000' of climbing so I really don't have an excuse not to give it a go.

budkid 03-17-14 10:23 PM

I signed up! Looking forward to all the climbing.

johnny99 03-18-14 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdtompki (Post 16578604)
Anyone care to comment on what sort of weather this ride has experienced? I live in the bay area and assume early am, shaded (?) climbs probably makes for reasonable weather that time of year. OTOH, whether I pick the 100K (very likely) or the 50 mile ride, there is no lack of climbing for a senior citizen. I did do my 68+ mile b'day ride last November with 6000' of climbing so I really don't have an excuse not to give it a go.

Expect cool weather in the morning (sometimes cold if you start early). Mostly cool weather on the ocean side of Skyline, which is where most of the ride is. Tunitas Creek Road climbing back up to Skyline on the 100K and 100 mile routes is shaded the whole way and usually pleasant. The 50 mile route takes La Honda Road back to Skyline which is warmer, but shorter and less steep. The last few miles getting back to the start through Silicon Valley may be warm, but the distance is short.

rdtompki 03-19-14 06:09 PM

I signed up for the 100K. I'll make it, but it will no doubt be semi-epic.

dalameda 03-20-14 07:59 AM

I signed up as well. Last weekend I rode Old La Honda and Tunitas creek, nd it was beautiful enough to make me want to do it again.

sandrab 04-19-14 10:31 PM

I'm in for the 100 miler! Can't wait!
:)

mcmoose 05-02-14 09:40 PM

Bumping to remind people... Early registration ($60) ends May 17th... then it goes up to $75.

rdtompki 05-04-14 07:45 PM

I did actually (and unfortunately) sign up for this. My bike as been laid up for 2.5 weeks and I've only ridden my son's backup bike a few times. I think I am in trouble. An easy 20 mile ride today left me wondering where all the glycogen had gone.

mcmoose 05-04-14 08:14 PM

Well, Rick, now you have an excuse to do the Half Century rather than Metric. My excuse? Redwood Gulch is stupid steep.

Hope to see you there!

rdtompki 05-05-14 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmoose (Post 16728417)
Well, Rick, now you have an excuse to do the Half Century rather than Metric. My excuse? Redwood Gulch is stupid steep.

Hope to see you there!

Well, if you see a 6', 190 lb old guy riding a new red Volagi say hi. I should pick up my replacement bike tomorrow (had a very unusual problem with one of the rear dropouts and Volagi replaced under warranty).

johnny99 05-05-14 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmoose (Post 16728417)
Well, Rick, now you have an excuse to do the Half Century rather than Metric. My excuse? Redwood Gulch is stupid steep.

Hope to see you there!

Redwood Gulch is very steep for about 100 yards (near the bamboo forest) and there is really no shame in walking. There are a couple of other tough parts, but also not too long. In between these sections, the road is pleasant or at least tolerable. The entire road is only a mile or so long.

johnny99 05-05-14 10:29 AM

fyi - the Sequoia Century people have a Facebook page with lots of photos and videos from last years event and tips for training for this year: http://www.facebook.com/SequoiaCentury

mcmoose 05-05-14 02:17 PM

Thanks, johnny… I might get inspired in the next few weeks… but it's nice to have the Half Century as a back up.

Rick, I'll be the semi-old woman on the semi-new Lexa. If we meet up on a long climb, I'll be the one exploring creative new curses.

nuke_diver 05-05-14 02:38 PM

I was thinking about going and was debating if I could do the metric century...I've never ridden Redwood Gulch and it is kind of frightening sounding (I have gone up Montabello and that was not as scary sounding as RWG). But it turns out I cannot go on Sunday. I'll have to try RWG on my own one day to see if I can conquer it.

johnny99 05-05-14 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuke_diver (Post 16730850)
I was thinking about going and was debating if I could do the metric century...I've never ridden Redwood Gulch and it is kind of frightening sounding (I have gone up Montabello and that was not as scary sounding as RWG). But it turns out I cannot go on Sunday. I'll have to try RWG on my own one day to see if I can conquer it.

IMHO - Montebello is harder because it is steep for longer distances. Redwood Gulch is relatively short and the steep parts amount to less than half its distance. Once you get into 20%+ grades, I think the length of the steep part causes more pain than the nominal steepness.

nuke_diver 05-06-14 09:29 AM

Good to know, I might give it a go this weekend if my knees hold up

Bostic 05-06-14 01:30 PM

I will probably do this ride as it's a good prep for the double centuries in June. I looked over the Facebook Page and noticed they nixed the 120 mile option and merged with the 100 for a really different route. There is a lot of riding north along HW 1 which might be unpleasant depending on wind direction and amount of traffic. This years route while still hard does avoids China Grade leading to HW 236. Two years ago it was darn hot and I remember many riders running out of water after China Grade with 236 and 9 still to climb to get back to the rest stop at the Firestation. Also rest stops ran out of food. Weather can be hit or miss. Some years the fog has been so thick along Skyline visibility was a concern.

johnny99 05-07-14 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostic (Post 16734227)
I will probably do this ride as it's a good prep for the double centuries in June. I looked over the Facebook Page and noticed they nixed the 120 mile option and merged with the 100 for a really different route. There is a lot of riding north along HW 1 which might be unpleasant depending on wind direction and amount of traffic. This years route while still hard does avoids China Grade leading to HW 236. Two years ago it was darn hot and I remember many riders running out of water after China Grade with 236 and 9 still to climb to get back to the rest stop at the Firestation. Also rest stops ran out of food. Weather can be hit or miss. Some years the fog has been so thick along Skyline visibility was a concern.

I heard there was a food shortage issue a few years ago at a couple of the rest stops. They must have learned from their mistake as I did the full century last year and the food was great at all the rest stops.

I'm glad that they deleted China Grade from this year's route since climbing the Hwy 9 from the west is kind of a slog and noisy with motorcycles. Hwy 1 can be windy, but you can always find people to draft with in these kinds of events.

Always a good idea to bring a couple of taillights in case Skyline is foggy, but this year's route doesn't spend much time on Skyline (full century route at least).

mcmoose 05-17-14 05:34 PM

At the risk of sounding like a broken record (remember those?)...

Today's the last day to register before the price bumps up from $60 to $75.

Bike94965 05-26-14 11:23 AM

Looking forward to Tunitas Creek - love that climb! Gearing up for Death Ride and Marin Century.


Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny99 (Post 16556029)
Sequoia Century registration is now open. Who's going?
Western Wheelers Bicycle Club - Sequoia Century


rdtompki 05-27-14 09:07 PM

I hope I'm not the only retired or infirm individual doing the 1/2 century Couldn't they add 6 stinkin' miles to the 1/2 century (56 miles) to get a 100K!;) And, no, I'm not going to voluntarily ride the extra 6 miles. At least my suffering will be accompanied by good weather.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:06 PM.