Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Northern California Northern California

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-09-14, 04:07 PM   #1
mrduck826 
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
mrduck826's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Sacramento
Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Schwinn Hybrid
Posts: 13
The week after my crash

Hi all,

I just recently got into Road Biking in Sacramento. My favorite spot is the American River trail and my wife just bought me a 2013 bianchi via nirone 7 as pictured below. I never realized how much faster road bikes are compared to cruisers/hybrids and ended up taking a corner way to fast than I should have and ate it hard. I had a light sprang on my right hand (which is almost fully recovered) and bad road rash on my leg. My leg has been in pain since it happened a week ago. I've heard it takes about 2 weeks for the pain to go away. Before the crash I was thinking of getting rid of the stock peddles and getting clipless ones. However, after my crash to be honest -- I'm getting scared of crashing again. Any advice from you veterans on what I can do to get over this fear? Any recommendations on peddles/shoes that won't break my bank? Is there an alternative?


Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140503_142524.jpg (104.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20140503_181625.jpg (102.0 KB, 42 views)
mrduck826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 04:30 PM   #2
Tycho Brahe 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Amateur Coachsurfer
Bikes:
Posts: 441
You forgot to mention how the bike is doing!

Did you see a doctor? As far as pedals go, you will get used to them pretty quickly. The entry level Shimano road pedals are a good overall deal.
Tycho Brahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 04:52 PM   #3
hueyhoolihan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
Bikes: 7⃥ 9 road bikes
Posts: 6,401
you'll get over it, but i expect you'll be riding a little slower for a while.
hueyhoolihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 05:09 PM   #4
SClaraPokeman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 229
A sprain in your wrist that you almost don't feel after a week wasn't much of a sprain. The scabs that form from the road rash will hurt for two-three weeks but that's about it. Any accident has potential to really hurt you, but I'd say you got off pretty light.

I'd definately go clipless as I think it's far safer for handling.
SClaraPokeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 05:14 PM   #5
mrduck826 
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
mrduck826's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Sacramento
Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Schwinn Hybrid
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe View Post
You forgot to mention how the bike is doing!

Did you see a doctor? As far as pedals go, you will get used to them pretty quickly. The entry level Shimano road pedals are a good overall deal.

The bike is well, picked up a few dings during the fall but seems everything else is ok. I'm having the shop I got it at take a look at it this weekend. Haven't road it since the crash though.

My wife is a doctor so she's been taking care of my wounds. The wrist wasn't a full on sprang, so I think I got away easy.

How much do the entry level shimanos go for? How much are the matching shoes?
mrduck826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 10:52 PM   #6
softreset
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 497
I've eaten asphalt on the ARBT something like 3 or 4 times now and I've only been riding on it since July of last year. More often then it's going too fast or too hard into a corner but a few times it's been to slick pavement or some other random scenario. Needless to say I've stopped buying nice helmets and I've been thankful that no one is around me. They've all been fairly low speed crashes too (sub 15 MPH), I suspect that's why the road rash or what have you hasn't been so bad.

Recovering from a crash/fall where you're not serious hurt is 100% mental to get back on the bike. My first fall was prompt the worst and I tore my leg (same leg and area as you) and I didn't ride for almost a week. But the previous falls, I was not only right back up on the bike but I tried to shake it off almost immediately.

You may need to ease into it, that's perfectly normal. But you need to commit to getting back onto the bike, even if it's just around the neighborhood.
softreset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 11:06 PM   #7
UmneyDurak
RacingBear
 
UmneyDurak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NorCal
Bikes:
Posts: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by softreset View Post
I've eaten asphalt on the ARBT something like 3 or 4 times now and I've only been riding on it since July of last year. More often then it's going too fast or too hard into a corner but a few times it's been to slick pavement or some other random scenario. Needless to say I've stopped buying nice helmets and I've been thankful that no one is around me. They've all been fairly low speed crashes too (sub 15 MPH), I suspect that's why the road rash or what have you hasn't been so bad.

Recovering from a crash/fall where you're not serious hurt is 100% mental to get back on the bike. My first fall was prompt the worst and I tore my leg (same leg and area as you) and I didn't ride for almost a week. But the previous falls, I was not only right back up on the bike but I tried to shake it off almost immediately.

You may need to ease into it, that's perfectly normal. But you need to commit to getting back onto the bike, even if it's just around the neighborhood.
You crashed 3-4 times since July? Maybe it's time to reconsider whatever you are doing...
UmneyDurak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 11:15 PM   #8
softreset
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak View Post
You crashed 3-4 times since July? Maybe it's time to reconsider whatever you are doing...
Yeah, Continental Gator Hardshells are a real PITA when the asphalt is wet.
softreset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 11:29 PM   #9
UmneyDurak
RacingBear
 
UmneyDurak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NorCal
Bikes:
Posts: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by softreset View Post
Yeah, Continental Gator Hardshells are a real PITA when the asphalt is wet.
Maybe it's time for new tires... Although I have ridden on Gatorskins in the wet at slightly more then 15mph through some sharp corners and they behaved OK.
UmneyDurak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 11:42 PM   #10
softreset
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak View Post
Maybe it's time for new tires... Although I have ridden on Gatorskins in the wet at slightly more then 15mph through some sharp corners and they behaved OK.
Sounds good.

Back to OP (seeing somehow my riding style has derailed the conversation). Shimano has a "entry" brand of their clipless pedals called Click'r that might be worth exploring. They also have touring shoes designed to go with them. You can pick up the shoes and pedals (that come with cleats) for about $125 on Amazon.

I tried for a shop review and they were pretty cool. Super easy to get in & out of and the shoes were great for walking around in after/before riding. I don't know if I'd want to wear those shoes on my next century but that's not the target audience for them. The good news, you can "upgrade" to more formal road shoes and the pedals can continue to be used as they're standard Shimano MTB SPD pedals.

Normally I just tell people who visit the shop that you need to "jump into the deep end" and an overwhelming percentage of our customers do just that. However, I totally get the hesitation, I had it back in the day. We've all had the "in slow motion" fall at some point (no doubt someone will post saying they've never experienced it... Good for you!).
softreset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-14, 07:26 AM   #11
dalameda
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bay Area
Bikes:
Posts: 349
One thing that softreset mentioned in passing was the helmet. OP if it hit, you should replace it.
dalameda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-14, 10:55 AM   #12
Jseis 
Grating member
 
Jseis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SW Washington state on the ocean!
Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks
Posts: 1,398
I crashed hard two months before a double century and still rode it. However, I did take 3 weeks off the bike as I pulled a groin muscle, bashed my right hip, and bruised 3 ribs. The ribs hurt bad, hip & groin were tolerable though ribs caused me to see my doc immediately and while they weren't broken, he was more concerned about my hip which was (fortunately) not injured though badly bruised. The road rash on my arm and shoulder healed fast but the skin covering the knee is still healing slowly (scar tissue) a year later. Being 59 Y.O. doesn't help. In retrospect I was very very lucky that I didn't damage my hip. I strongly recommend X-rays if your older and/or the crash smacks a bone/joint hard. Both my riding partner & ex euro domestique buddy told me that my excellent conditioning probably spared worse injury.
__________________
Make Amerika Grate Again
Jseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-14, 11:23 AM   #13
mrduck826 
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
mrduck826's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Sacramento
Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Schwinn Hybrid
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by softreset View Post
I've eaten asphalt on the ARBT something like 3 or 4 times now and I've only been riding on it since July of last year. More often then it's going too fast or too hard into a corner but a few times it's been to slick pavement or some other random scenario. Needless to say I've stopped buying nice helmets and I've been thankful that no one is around me. They've all been fairly low speed crashes too (sub 15 MPH), I suspect that's why the road rash or what have you hasn't been so bad.

Recovering from a crash/fall where you're not serious hurt is 100% mental to get back on the bike. My first fall was prompt the worst and I tore my leg (same leg and area as you) and I didn't ride for almost a week. But the previous falls, I was not only right back up on the bike but I tried to shake it off almost immediately.

You may need to ease into it, that's perfectly normal. But you need to commit to getting back onto the bike, even if it's just around the neighborhood.
yeah, my wife keeps asking me to ride, but it's only been a week and my roadrash is still pretty raw. I have medical coverage +, which means my wife's a doc and a lot of my friends are docs so they've been helping me throughout this injury. I still love the sport and think once the pain subsides I'll get back on my bike but keep a conscious mind to not take the corners so fast.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I was talking to my client and mentioned my spill, he said it's good that all road bikers fall and get road rash, that it's a right of passage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softreset View Post
Sounds good.

Back to OP (seeing somehow my riding style has derailed the conversation). Shimano has a "entry" brand of their clipless pedals called Click'r that might be worth exploring. They also have touring shoes designed to go with them. You can pick up the shoes and pedals (that come with cleats) for about $125 on Amazon.

I tried for a shop review and they were pretty cool. Super easy to get in & out of and the shoes were great for walking around in after/before riding. I don't know if I'd want to wear those shoes on my next century but that's not the target audience for them. The good news, you can "upgrade" to more formal road shoes and the pedals can continue to be used as they're standard Shimano MTB SPD pedals.

Normally I just tell people who visit the shop that you need to "jump into the deep end" and an overwhelming percentage of our customers do just that. However, I totally get the hesitation, I had it back in the day. We've all had the "in slow motion" fall at some point (no doubt someone will post saying they've never experienced it... Good for you!).
Softreset - I see you are in Sacramento like me. You mentioned "the shop", which one are you referring too?

Last edited by mrduck826; 05-10-14 at 12:24 PM.
mrduck826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-14, 12:33 AM   #14
softreset
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 497
I moonlight at Folsom Bike on my "weekends."

<-- Live in Sac
<-- Work in Davis (full-time job)

I gave my worst bout of road rash a few days to get a 'crust' going and then I'd wrap it for rides. I made the very fatal mistake of riding with it exposed once on my forearm. Sunburn on road rash and the discomfort felt that evening in the shower is one of those "never want to experience again" feelings.
softreset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-14, 06:07 PM   #15
JoelS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Near Sacramento
Bikes:
Posts: 4,890
Glad you're not more seriously injured. FWIW, my experience with Gatorskins has not been positive the 4000s on the other hand, has been outstanding.

Cornering is a learned skill. Do you ski or snowboard? I learned a lot about cornering from carving a snowboard. Lean the bike a little bit more into the corner than you lean yourself. That will help keep your weight over the tires and give them more grip.
__________________
-------

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
JoelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:08 AM.