Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco!
    My Bikes
    2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)
    Posts
    903
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Mt. Diablo Cyclists are Awesome!

    Hey Northern CA people,

    I haven't posted on Bikeforums in a while, but I wanted to swing by and say that the cyclists on Mt. Diablo are some of the nicest and most encouraging that I have ever had the pleasure of riding with/around/behind/whatever. Yesterday was my very first time tackling Mt. Diablo. I was the fat Asian guy wearing a black helmet, glasses, a red T-shirt, black shorts, and riding a tan color Surly Long Haul Trucker with a fat tan color saddle bag, if anybody here was riding up there at the time

    Anyway, it was so nice to have other cyclists cheering me on. I kept hearing words of encouragement from all sorts of bike riders, like "Good Job!" "You're almost there!" etc. One guy (whom I was keeping up with) was even encouraging me throughout the entire climb, even on the "no-talking" 15% grade to the summit!

    Yes, I went all the way up to the summit on my very first Mt. Diablo ride. I've ridden Twin Peaks in San Francisco over 20 times already. It's my after-work ride that I do Monday thru Friday, and I lost count around the 13th time up Twin Peaks. I've also ridden Hawk Hill in Marin several times. I wasn't going to stop until I reached the summit on Mt. Diablo, even after several people told me I could just turn around at the Ranger Station Junction. I took BART to Walnut Creek from San Francisco, then I rode to North Gate Road and went up from there. It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be after hearing about how South Gate Road would be the easier option.

    So you're all awesome! Hopefully it'll be the same the next time I head up the mountain again!

  2. #2
    Family, Health, Cycling Lanceoldstrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Concord, CA
    My Bikes
    Roubaix SL4 Expert, Felt F75, Univega Gran Turismo
    Posts
    1,258
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Ride Report about a Great Ride.

    You never forget your first Diablo. Congratulations.

    I did not ride Diablo yesterday but I do a lot. I hope to see you and your LHT up there again soon.
    In Escendo Est Verum

  3. #3
    Bourbon junkie ricebowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    653
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! There's also San Bruno Mt. from brisbane or colma for some weekday variety close to home

    Strava Segment | San Bruno Cat 2
    Strava Segment | San Bruno Mtn- Price to Summit
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy View Post
    Show me just one law that says that a person has a right to exercise their judgement or common sense, just one.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco!
    My Bikes
    2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)
    Posts
    903
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I'll check 'em out if I have the time!

  5. #5
    It's MY mountain DiabloScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mt.Diablo
    Posts
    5,473
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for bringing glory to The Mountain.

    What time were you riding? Maybe I captured you on my bikecam.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco!
    My Bikes
    2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)
    Posts
    903
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
    Thank you for bringing glory to The Mountain.

    What time were you riding? Maybe I captured you on my bikecam.
    I reached the North Gate Road entrance to the park at 8:12 A.M. I reached the summit at around 10:46 A.M. I don't remember exactly when I started my descent, but I reached the park's North Gate Road exit at 11:24 A.M. All these times were read on my smartphone's clock. Hope that helps

    I can totally see why it's a ride that everybody here loves to do. The climbing might have become gruelling at points, but I just looked to the side and marveled at the views to take my mind off of it.

  7. #7
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    29,783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fat_bike_nut, you are correct: Mt. Diablo cyclists are awesome. You are a Mt. Diablo cyclist. Therefore, you are awesome. Q.E.D.
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  8. #8
    It's MY mountain DiabloScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mt.Diablo
    Posts
    5,473
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_bike_nut View Post
    I reached the North Gate Road entrance to the park at 8:12 A.M. I reached the summit at around 10:46 A.M.



    HEY HEY!
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

  9. #9
    hup
    hup is offline
    Senior Member hup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central Valley CA
    My Bikes
    '04 Serotta CIII, '01 Lemond Poprad, '10 Look 566, mid 90s Burley Rock N Roll Tandem, Old School Specialized HardRock
    Posts
    255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is such a cool post.
    I have been up Diablo once. Mine had a surreal sense to it ... a perfect ride. I envy those who ride it regularly. Someday I hope to do it again.

  10. #10
    Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Antioch, CA (SF Bay Area)
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Posts
    6,552
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to delete double post, failing. See next...
    Last edited by cccorlew; 06-16-14 at 08:41 AM.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

  11. #11
    Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Antioch, CA (SF Bay Area)
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Posts
    6,552
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! And a nice post too.

    My wife and I did rode to the summit for our 15 anniversary on Thursday. Every time I ride Diablo I am amazed how wonderful it is, and how lucky I am to live somewhat nearby. I still remember my first summit in the 70s, and as Oldstrong said, you'll never forget yours.

    Congratulations. BTW, those LHTs weigh a ton, so double congrats! No one passing you on a carbon bike was doing anything special.

    Oh, don't forget, you are now qualified to buy a Diablo jersey!

    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

  12. #12
    It's MY mountain DiabloScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mt.Diablo
    Posts
    5,473
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_bike_nut View Post
    I took BART to Walnut Creek from San Francisco, then I rode to North Gate Road and went up from there.
    Next time go to Pleasant Hill BART - one more stop but a better ride to the Gate.

    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/copy/15535118/

    The best way to get to South Gate is to go over North Gate Road and then down and back up.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    My Bikes
    2012 Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    1,106
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_bike_nut View Post
    Hey Northern CA people,

    I haven't posted on Bikeforums in a while, but I wanted to swing by and say that the cyclists on Mt. Diablo are some of the nicest and most encouraging that I have ever had the pleasure of riding with/around/behind/whatever. Yesterday was my very first time tackling Mt. Diablo. I was the fat Asian guy wearing a black helmet, glasses, a red T-shirt, black shorts, and riding a tan color Surly Long Haul Trucker with a fat tan color saddle bag, if anybody here was riding up there at the time

    Anyway, it was so nice to have other cyclists cheering me on. I kept hearing words of encouragement from all sorts of bike riders, like "Good Job!" "You're almost there!" etc. One guy (whom I was keeping up with) was even encouraging me throughout the entire climb, even on the "no-talking" 15% grade to the summit!

    Yes, I went all the way up to the summit on my very first Mt. Diablo ride. I've ridden Twin Peaks in San Francisco over 20 times already. It's my after-work ride that I do Monday thru Friday, and I lost count around the 13th time up Twin Peaks. I've also ridden Hawk Hill in Marin several times. I wasn't going to stop until I reached the summit on Mt. Diablo, even after several people told me I could just turn around at the Ranger Station Junction. I took BART to Walnut Creek from San Francisco, then I rode to North Gate Road and went up from there. It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be after hearing about how South Gate Road would be the easier option.

    So you're all awesome! Hopefully it'll be the same the next time I head up the mountain again!
    Congratulations! I hope to do this some day too


    Quote Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
    Next time go to Pleasant Hill BART - one more stop but a better ride to the Gate.

    Copying North Gate to Pleasant Hill BART | MapMyRide

    The best way to get to South Gate is to go over North Gate Road and then down and back up.
    Can you upload a screenshot? Looks like the link you sent needs a login.
    http://treadrightly.blogspot.com/

  14. #14
    It's MY mountain DiabloScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mt.Diablo
    Posts
    5,473
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by treadtread View Post
    Can you upload a screenshot? Looks like the link you sent needs a login.
    OK, this map was selected going the other way (Diablo to BART), but it's the same route. That first bit from the station to the Canal Trail is the Iron Horse Trail and the bridge over Treat Blvd.

    http://i.imgur.com/U1da5Kh.jpg


    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco!
    My Bikes
    2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)
    Posts
    903
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha, that is me! Nice catch, DiabloScott.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •