Originally Posted by EffSizzle
Wow, 38 views and no suggestions for a newb going on his first group ride. There goes the notion that cyclists help each other out.
In our defense, you only waited 30 minutes!
Anywho, I'll throw in my $.02:
- As stated by East Hill - let the group know that this is your first group ride
- Find a good wheel (experienced and consistent) to follow for most of the day
- Don't let a gap open up, but don't ride .0001" from the guy in front of you either. Leave a few feet until you get comfortable. You may want to stagger/offset your wheel (a few inches) relative to the guy directly in front of you.
- Keep a steady pace (same relative speed) when it's your turn up front.
- Listen and look for other riders (they may point to a hazard on the road, or yell "slowing", "car up", etc)
- Wait until you are on the back to get a drink from your water bottle
- Don't overlap wheels!
- Try not to get dropped!
You'll learn a lot about paceline riding by doing this first ride. Good luck!