Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
What's your route from the UW to Interlaken? Great park, by the way.
Sorry for the delay...finally getting a chance to peek at a map and remember what route I tried last time, IIRC it was this:
- bomb down Roosevelt from the light at 45th (I exceed 37 MPH here, don't have a computer but doing the math on 53x11 + likely RPM)
- across the University Bridge
- hang the first left at East Fuhrman there, just as you finish passing over the bridge
- right onto East Shelby, this is the street I had to dismount for, but looking at it now I think I may have overshot my turn at 1oth & went on to 11th. It's between 1oth & 11th that it gets wicked steep.
- Google suggests left again onto 1oth East (when I tweak it to go take the Easterly route rather than Harvard)
- another left onto East Roanoke for a whopping 150 feet
- then left onto Delmar which puts you into the park
I'm coming from Greenwood and take the University Bridge, although both Google Maps, and Ride The City (depending on the settings) suggest taking the Montlake Bridge, but I always enjoy bombing down and across the University Bridge. Rolling through all the traffic of the U and on the Burke there and then across the Montlake Bridge sounds like PITA to me.
I wanted to try a new route and explore the backside of Capitol Hill there a bit, I used to live at the south edge of Capitol Hill and commute to Northwest Hospital. I've ridden up Harvard hundreds of times and would be happy for a change of scenery on that leg, but prefer not to dismount. It's not my pride, I just like to stay rolling. I'm certainly open to suggestions as to route.
I think next time I may stay on Fuhrman as it turns into Boyer then try going up East Edgar. It's probably a wicked grade too though. Edgar doesn't look too bad, but one would have to take 11th from there, and it looks like a doosey. I know I could stay on Boyer longer and avoid that steep ridge at the northern tip of Capitol Hill, but then I'd miss out on riding through half of Interlaken Park!