Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Elite
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Buying a used bike from craigslist.

    Hi All,

    I am planning to buy my first road bike and I was wondering is it a good idea to buy it from craigslist. What measurements you should be looking at?

    I know that from my inseam measurement I need a 56cm bike. Do you need to keep any other things in mind ?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Seattle Forrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    9,871
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your inseam doesn't determine the frame size you need; test rides do. It's a good rule of thumb, but different companies have subtly different ways of measuring and rounding the top-tube length. And different bike geometry can have a big effect ... or it can not.

    Buying on Craigslist is a good idea, in general, as long as you shop around. Lots of CL people are going to list it for what they paid, or more. But if you have patience, you'll wind up getting a better deal than you can at the shop. I'd probably avoid used carbon, though. What's your budget?
    Don't believe everything you think.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Elite
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
    Your inseam doesn't determine the frame size you need; test rides do. It's a good rule of thumb, but different companies have subtly different ways of measuring and rounding the top-tube length. And different bike geometry can have a big effect ... or it can not.

    Buying on Craigslist is a good idea, in general, as long as you shop around. Lots of CL people are going to list it for what they paid, or more. But if you have patience, you'll wind up getting a better deal than you can at the shop. I'd probably avoid used carbon, though. What's your budget?
    Well my budget is around $500 but I will look for deals as low as possible so that I have something left for gear ...

  4. #4
    Senior Member Seattle Forrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    9,871
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What kind of gear do you need? If you mean stuff like pedals, you'll pay a hell of a lot less on CL (or in REI's used section) than if you buy them new at the store. If you mean clothes, give some thought to wool and hiking clothing, 'cause it rains a lot here.

    This might be worth test riding if you think you could talk the guy down on price: http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/bik/2614823385.html

    You should start a thread in the road forum. I flipped through the bike listing briefly, but there are people in there who make a hobby out of shopping for things they won't buy. People will be all over CL and find you the 10 or 20 best deals in the Seattle area.
    Don't believe everything you think.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Elite
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
    What kind of gear do you need? If you mean stuff like pedals, you'll pay a hell of a lot less on CL (or in REI's used section) than if you buy them new at the store. If you mean clothes, give some thought to wool and hiking clothing, 'cause it rains a lot here.

    This might be worth test riding if you think you could talk the guy down on price: http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/bik/2614823385.html

    You should start a thread in the road forum. I flipped through the bike listing briefly, but there are people in there who make a hobby out of shopping for things they won't buy. People will be all over CL and find you the 10 or 20 best deals in the Seattle area.
    Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

    Also will start a thread in the road forum, lets see how it goes.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Seattle Forrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    9,871
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would probably avoid this one - it's very old carbon, before people really knew how to make CF bikes well. But you might be able to talk the price down a lot, given the down tube shifters and all: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/2656820775.html

    I'd bet my hat this guy won't be talked down, but it's a wonderful bike if you can: http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/bik/2652208781.html

    This doesn't look like a bad deal: http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/bik/2639865361.html
    Don't believe everything you think.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Elite
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
    I would probably avoid this one - it's very old carbon, before people really knew how to make CF bikes well. But you might be able to talk the price down a lot, given the down tube shifters and all: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/2656820775.html

    I'd bet my hat this guy won't be talked down, but it's a wonderful bike if you can: http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/bik/2652208781.html

    This doesn't look like a bad deal: http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/bik/2639865361.html
    The 950 one is expensive for me
    how about this one :

    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/2652782520.html
    and
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/bik/2597646910.html

  8. #8
    Senior Member BigBlueToe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central Coast, CA
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Posts
    3,388
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post

    This doesn't look like a bad deal: http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/bik/2639865361.html
    This is a touring bike. If you want to load it up and go on tour, this would be a great purchase. The Randonee is a solid tourer, and that's a great price. If you want a commuter or an errand-running bike, this would be good. If you want something light and fast, this would fall a just a little short - you could find something nicer. Still, this is a good bike for a great price.

  9. #9
    Ellensburg, WA scozim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ellensburg, WA
    My Bikes
    See my signature
    Posts
    2,353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleRider View Post
    Hi All,

    I am planning to buy my first road bike and I was wondering is it a good idea to buy it from craigslist. What measurements you should be looking at?

    I know that from my inseam measurement I need a 56cm bike. Do you need to keep any other things in mind ?

    Thanks in advance.
    Ask yourself first what kind of riding you plan to do - fitness, racing, enjoyment, etc. Once you do that investigate different styles of bikes and their geometry and how they ride. If you're looking at a used one go to Road Bike Review to see what people say about it. Check Bikepedia for the original msrp. Talk to other people.

    There are four main materials in bikes - steel, aluminum, titanium and carbon fiber (and combinations). I lean to steel because I love the ride and I love the classic look of the older ones. I don't race but I'm also no slouch on a bike and can hold my own on the old steel. If you're a little mechanically inclined you can find some really good deals on a used steel or aluminum.

    Aluminum can be a rough ride so I'd look for one with a carbon fork. A lot of people instantly jump to carbon and for good reason they are stiff and pretty comfortable but just as with others there are things to look out for. Just research thoroughly. Titanium can be out of the price range you're looking at but is a heck of a ride.
    1984 Gitane Sprint; 1984 Gitane Tour de France;1982 Trek 610; 1980's Univega Supra Sport; 1975 Teledyne Titan;1984 Peugeot PSV10N; 1968 Peugeot PL8; ;1982 Nishiki Marina 12; 1977 Peugeot PX-10; 1987 Trek 800 Antelope (touring/commuting set up); 1981 Trek 510; 1993 or 1994 Scott Comp Racing mtb; 1996 Klein Pulse II mtb; 1980's Peugeot Limestone hybrid;

    My cycling blog

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Elite
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scozim View Post
    Ask yourself first what kind of riding you plan to do - fitness, racing, enjoyment, etc. Once you do that investigate different styles of bikes and their geometry and how they ride. If you're looking at a used one go to Road Bike Review to see what people say about it. Check Bikepedia for the original msrp. Talk to other people.

    There are four main materials in bikes - steel, aluminum, titanium and carbon fiber (and combinations). I lean to steel because I love the ride and I love the classic look of the older ones. I don't race but I'm also no slouch on a bike and can hold my own on the old steel. If you're a little mechanically inclined you can find some really good deals on a used steel or aluminum.

    Aluminum can be a rough ride so I'd look for one with a carbon fork. A lot of people instantly jump to carbon and for good reason they are stiff and pretty comfortable but just as with others there are things to look out for. Just research thoroughly. Titanium can be out of the price range you're looking at but is a heck of a ride.
    Great info, thanks scozium.

    I am looking at aluminum frames with carbon forks. I like yhe looks of specialized allez series and I am planning to test ride it today and see.

  11. #11
    Ellensburg, WA scozim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ellensburg, WA
    My Bikes
    See my signature
    Posts
    2,353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleRider View Post
    Great info, thanks scozium.

    I am looking at aluminum frames with carbon forks. I like yhe looks of specialized allez series and I am planning to test ride it today and see.
    So, did ya get one?
    1984 Gitane Sprint; 1984 Gitane Tour de France;1982 Trek 610; 1980's Univega Supra Sport; 1975 Teledyne Titan;1984 Peugeot PSV10N; 1968 Peugeot PL8; ;1982 Nishiki Marina 12; 1977 Peugeot PX-10; 1987 Trek 800 Antelope (touring/commuting set up); 1981 Trek 510; 1993 or 1994 Scott Comp Racing mtb; 1996 Klein Pulse II mtb; 1980's Peugeot Limestone hybrid;

    My cycling blog

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Elite
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scozim View Post
    So, did ya get one?
    Not yet. I am test riding different make models. My list is :

    Specialized Secteur Sport
    Specialized Allez T
    Giant Defy
    Felt.
    Fuji

    I was measured up and now I know that the 54cm frame on specialized fits me the best.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Seattle Forrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    9,871
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This was probably crashed or stolen, but, if it's legit, it's a hell of a deal. It's almost exactly double the OP's budget, but it's also about 1/5 what the bike would cost new in a shop. ( Although there have been a hell of a lot of changes to the frame in the past few years. )

    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/2671359610.html

    This one's even cheaper, but not suited to much other than time trials.

    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/2671230922.html

    Odd to see two very underpriced Cervelos, both with Dura Ace.
    Don't believe everything you think.

  14. #14
    Senior Member kc0yef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Olympia WA
    My Bikes
    Bill Stevenson Kawai, 1973 Paramount, Voyageur SP, Nishiki; KOKUSAI & Competition, Bridgestone; RBT RB-T & Kabuki Submariner, Mercian; Campionissimo, TriA, Superlight, , Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Gitane TDF
    Posts
    1,101
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CL is great I snag all the time off it... goto recycled cycles over by the stadium and check out the used bikes there all serial numbers are checked by the police so no issue of theft They had a serrota for under $800 with DA on it...

    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleRider View Post
    Hi All,

    I am planning to buy my first road bike and I was wondering is it a good idea to buy it from craigslist. What measurements you should be looking at?

    I know that from my inseam measurement I need a 56cm bike. Do you need to keep any other things in mind ?

    Thanks in advance.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Elite
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already bought a bike from craigslist and I am very happy about it now its time to buy some gear..

    What do you guys suggest?

  16. #16
    Senior Member kc0yef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Olympia WA
    My Bikes
    Bill Stevenson Kawai, 1973 Paramount, Voyageur SP, Nishiki; KOKUSAI & Competition, Bridgestone; RBT RB-T & Kabuki Submariner, Mercian; Campionissimo, TriA, Superlight, , Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Gitane TDF
    Posts
    1,101
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It didnt happen unless you show pictures...
    I suggest a smart phone GPS and a Ham radio red and white flashing lights white and yellow reflectors and a flag for the back white fiberglass shaft with an orange flag... Oh and a big bell preferably brass... that has a nice ring to it doesn't it...

    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleRider View Post
    I already bought a bike from craigslist and I am very happy about it now its time to buy some gear..

    What do you guys suggest?

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Elite
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    So this is my specialized

  18. #18
    Senior Member kc0yef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Olympia WA
    My Bikes
    Bill Stevenson Kawai, 1973 Paramount, Voyageur SP, Nishiki; KOKUSAI & Competition, Bridgestone; RBT RB-T & Kabuki Submariner, Mercian; Campionissimo, TriA, Superlight, , Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Gitane TDF
    Posts
    1,101
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very Nice Specialized you still need a bell and lights

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •