Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Professional Cycling For the Fans (http://www.bikeforums.net/professional-cycling-fans/)
-   -   OLN Announcer Favorites (http://www.bikeforums.net/professional-cycling-fans/123273-oln-announcer-favorites.html)

disenchantedguy 07-19-05 07:01 PM

OLN Announcer Favorites
 
In your opinion, who is each OLN commentatorís favorite rider? After watching the Tour on OLN for the last few years (which I think they have done a great job, it is certainly better than NO COVERAGE!) it is certainly obvious that Lance gets 99.99% of the coverage, but if you listen carefully you will notice that each commentator has a "favorite" that he readily heaps praise on.

Phil--Any Australian; especially Cadel Evans
Paul--Any Australian; especially Stuart O'Grady and Baden Cooke
Bob--Juan Antonio Flecha
Al--??? Hard to tell with Al, he seems to mention Joseba Beloki quite often.

Your choices?

OrionKhan 07-19-05 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disenchantedguy
In your opinion, who is each OLN commentatorís favorite rider? After watching the Tour on OLN for the last few years (which I think they have done a great job, it is certainly better than NO COVERAGE!) it is certainly obvious that Lance gets 99.99% of the coverage, but if you listen carefully you will notice that each commentator has a "favorite" that he readily heaps praise on.

Phil--Any Australian; especially Cadel Evans
Paul--Any Australian; especially Stuart O'Grady and Baden Cooke
Bob--Juan Antonio Flecha
Al--??? Hard to tell with Al, he seems to mention Joseba Beloki quite often.

Your choices?

While watching another race in the past, I actually remember Paul saying that George Hincapie was one of his favorite riders.

Crack'n'fail 07-19-05 08:18 PM

Paul and George love Hincapie and until recently David Millar.

Obviously Bob is in love with Lance

Al, I don't know if he even knows the difference between the riders.

jitteringjr 07-19-05 09:28 PM

Phil always has good things to say about Jens Voigt

TCR 07-19-05 09:37 PM

Phil and Paul like all the riders except for a few here and there. Bobke likes them all as long as they're not French. Al doesn't have a clue so it doesn't really matter!

Crack'n'fail 07-20-05 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crack'n'fail
Paul and George love Hincapie and until recently David Millar.

Obviously Bob is in love with Lance

Al, I don't know if he even knows the difference between the riders.

Paul and George?

Ha!! :p

I meang Paul and Phil. Although after their little spat today, I'm not so sure Phil's as high on Georgie as Paul.

Allen H 07-20-05 10:13 AM

what spat? Did I miss something??

jbonus 07-20-05 10:48 AM

David Millar was always in the running commentary by Paul & Phil; but, since Millar's suspended they've seem to taken a liking to the Aussies. Bob & Al: who will they root for next year, if there is a "next year" on OLN? It would've been Basso but Riis sealed the deal for him in style.

Crack'n'fail 07-20-05 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allen H
what spat? Did I miss something??

Phil just mentioned that he didn't think George was very sporting in the way that he wond the stage. Paul said for the first time ever he was going to disagree with him, saying that George did what he had to do to win the Tour. Funny thing is that Paul said he only did that tactic once in his career and it was when he won the British Championships.

Allen H 07-20-05 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crack'n'fail
Phil just mentioned that he didn't think George was very sporting in the way that he wond the stage. Paul said for the first time ever he was going to disagree with him, saying that George did what he had to do to win the Tour. Funny thing is that Paul said he only did that tactic once in his career and it was when he won the British Championships.

Thanks, crack'n'fail. I did miss that.

daytonian 07-20-05 08:11 PM

In the book it's not about the bike it talks about Bob Roll riding with Lance in the mountains by the tour of Georgia after Lance's recovery from cancer. I believe Lance states in the book that on a ride with Roll he felt he had gotten his power back. I imagine they are friends? Am I wrong?

disenchantedguy 07-20-05 09:11 PM

Bob talks about it in Bobke II also. It is obvious that Lance is his favorite and they are most certainly friends. Was it today when he was giving that "bird of prey swooping down and grabbing the meat of the tour" analogy, with his hands in the shape of talons? Hilarious.

Crack'n'fail 07-21-05 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daytonian
In the book it's not about the bike it talks about Bob Roll riding with Lance in the mountains by the tour of Georgia

It was the Tour du Pont that the road had been in. The ride was on Beech Mountain in North Carolina if I remember correctly, it's near (if not right in) Boone.

DieselDan 07-21-05 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crack'n'fail
It was the Tour du Pont that the road had been in. The ride was on Beech Mountain in North Carolina if I remember correctly, it's near (if not right in) Boone.

If I may add, Bob Roll has a more personal connection to Lance Armstrong because of that training camp that Lance, Chris Carmicheal, and Roll did in Bonne in 1998. Bob told the story last night, and Lance told it in his first book, how he rode with Lance for days in the rain. Suddenly, Lance's legs came to him. Kind of a Zen moment that you had to be there to understand.

Crack'n'fail 07-21-05 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselDan
If I may add, Bob Roll has a more personal connection to Lance Armstrong because of that training camp that Lance, Chris Carmicheal, and Roll did in Bonne in 1998. Bob told the story last night, and Lance told it in his first book, how he rode with Lance for days in the rain. Suddenly, Lance's legs came to him. Kind of a Zen moment that you had to be there to understand.

I believe this is what the original poster was referring to. Lance was really struggling and considering quitting. Bob convinced him to go and do the ride to Beech Mountain where some of the paint was still on the roads saying "Go Lance," etc. He then proceeded to mash up the climb and begin his comeback. The rest, as they say, is history.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:54 AM.