Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Lance's Back Wheel...

    Can someone explain to me why Lance didn't have a solid back wheel in today's time trial when everyone else does? Does Lance know something everyone else doesn't?

  2. #2
    Ride it, don't fondle it! Wheel Doctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    My Bikes
    Raleigh M80, Bacchetta AERO, Bacchetta GIRO, BikeE, 83' TREK 970, Catrike Speed, IRO Fixie/SS
    Posts
    413
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganesha
    Can someone explain to me why Lance didn't have a solid back wheel in today's time trial when everyone else does? Does Lance know something everyone else doesn't?
    IMO it looks like he was using a pair of HED 3's. The 3 is lighter than the disk. This TT was more climbs/rollers than any Tour TT in the past. George Hincape also was not running disks but some very deep profile rim spoked wheels. Most of what is used is determined by windtunnel testing and weight vs. aerodynamics. Possibly this stage profile may have dictated a compromise between weight and aerodynamics.

  3. #3
    Klaatu barada nikto cascade168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    1,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, they commented on this issue specifically. It was thought, before he started, that crosswinds might become an issue, so they swapped out the solid back wheel. No big mystery.
    "Work is the curse of the drinking class."
    - Oscar Wilde

  4. #4
    Runner nxtpre's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Simi Valley, California
    My Bikes
    Kona Blast and Motobecane Mirage Sport
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the commentators mentioned something about agility?
    I'm a runner.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah thats what i heard.... he switched it out cause of its better agility in corners

  6. #6
    Photog Extraordinaire Crack'n'fail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    My Bikes
    Santa Cruz Chameleon, Cannondale R800 (CAAD4) with Dura-Ace upgrade
    Posts
    863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This from Chris Carmichael:

    "Some people have asked why Lance and the Discovery Channel team chose to ride Hed 3 wheels instead of rear discs, and it was because of the climbs and the technical descents. It was important to have wheels that were aerodynamic for the flat and downhill portions of the course, that could accelerate quickly out of the tight corners, and that were reasonably light for the climbs. Discs are great for flat or gently rolling time trials, but for going up and down harder climbs and twisting descents, the Hed 3s were the better choice."

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    320
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crack'n'fail
    This from Chris Carmichael:

    "Some people have asked why Lance and the Discovery Channel team chose to ride Hed 3 wheels instead of rear discs, and it was because of the climbs and the technical descents. It was important to have wheels that were aerodynamic for the flat and downhill portions of the course, that could accelerate quickly out of the tight corners, and that were reasonably light for the climbs. Discs are great for flat or gently rolling time trials, but for going up and down harder climbs and twisting descents, the Hed 3s were the better choice."
    i was just going to post that.

  8. #8
    Photog Extraordinaire Crack'n'fail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    My Bikes
    Santa Cruz Chameleon, Cannondale R800 (CAAD4) with Dura-Ace upgrade
    Posts
    863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by youm0nt
    i was just going to post that.
    Sweet, I won the posting sprint!

  9. #9
    Klaatu barada nikto cascade168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    1,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nxtpre
    I thought the commentators mentioned something about agility?
    You're right. I watched it again and I guess I was dozing when they did the explanation. It's not easy when you get old. At least I remembered that they discussed it ;-) I am pretty sure that it's been discussed in the past that the solid wheels would not be used on days that there were bad cross winds.
    "Work is the curse of the drinking class."
    - Oscar Wilde

  10. #10
    Dude wheres my guads? skinnyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Guess
    My Bikes
    Not enough
    Posts
    2,680
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Discs literally act like a sail in crosswinds.. The discs are heavy and hence more load to carry up a hill where the speed is not high enough to get a flywheel sorta effect.. Am I completely of base here... Skydive??

  11. #11
    Senior Member Drayko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    355
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So...a related question...why the Hed 3 and not a Deep rimmed wheel (mb 60 or 90 mm)? I thought for the whole stage they were riding deep rimmed heds untill the after the tt when I saw LA going slowly on his bike. What advantages does the trispoke have since I remember reading Hed's stuff on the advantages of deep rims being very close to discs.

  12. #12
    Dude wheres my guads? skinnyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Guess
    My Bikes
    Not enough
    Posts
    2,680
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayko
    So...a related question...why the Hed 3 and not a Deep rimmed wheel (mb 60 or 90 mm)? I thought for the whole stage they were riding deep rimmed heds untill the after the tt when I saw LA going slowly on his bike. What advantages does the trispoke have since I remember reading Hed's stuff on the advantages of deep rims being very close to discs.
    Weight savings??? Lesser turbulence generated?

  13. #13
    raodmaster shaman
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    G-ville
    Posts
    1,431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think the 3 blades have lower cumulative resistance then 16-20 spokes would.

  14. #14
    Spinning like a gerbel spingineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    My Bikes
    Seven
    Posts
    7,947
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it would be interesting how Basso would have done if he didn't have the solid wheels in the back. It seemed like he was having agility problems in the middle section of the course. But then again, he may just not have had enough in the tank, and expended too much energy in the beginning, like Paul and Phil were saying.

  15. #15
    meb
    meb is offline
    Senior Member meb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    arlington, VA
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spingineer
    it would be interesting how Basso would have done if he didn't have the solid wheels in the back. It seemed like he was having agility problems in the middle section of the course. But then again, he may just not have had enough in the tank, and expended too much energy in the beginning, like Paul and Phil were saying.
    It appears both were at issue. Downhill he was clearly cautious, and he was struggling uphill. Given his forward and backward margins in the GC, there probably was not much point in risking a fall on a high speed treacherous portion of the TT.

  16. #16
    Baby it's cold outside... ViperZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SK, Canada
    My Bikes
    Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany
    Posts
    7,306
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lance's bike looked like it was set up much better for the course overall.... He hammered it and was carving up curves with his TTX while others were handling like they had steel hoops on pavement rather than rubber.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can bet with Lance's fanatical prep for this race that they A) had rode this TT both ways and knew the Hed to be faster or B) inputted the info into a computer and knew it would be faster. people don't give Lance and his team enough credit for the hard work and prep.

  18. #18
    Baby it's cold outside... ViperZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SK, Canada
    My Bikes
    Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany
    Posts
    7,306
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerski
    you can bet with Lance's fanatical prep for this race that they A) had rode this TT both ways and knew the Hed to be faster or B) inputted the info into a computer and knew it would be faster. people don't give Lance and his team enough credit for the hard work and prep.

    Exactly right...

    It was written that Carmichael stated when bulding the team that they want to to go and get the best and the brightest. So they retained or added top notch physical therapist, coaches, aerodynamic and biomechanical specialists. Lances team was nick named the "F1 Consortium" for they had the skills, talents, depth, sports science & engineering typical of modern day Formula 1 racing teams. Anchoring this "F1 Consortium" was Trek, Nike and Giro, no doubt his bike would have been tuned

    Lance stated it on the podium, he had the best support team around.
    Last edited by ViperZ; 07-25-05 at 10:46 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •