Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Taking a tip from Siu Blue Wind, I too am typing a lengthy passage of text down here to demonstrate the enormous amount of space available should one wish to use it-- in sharp contrast to the avatar text above this part.
Bikes: '06 Salsa Campeon, '84 Cannondale R1000, 80's Nishiki Ariel
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From one of the Velonews raceday archives:
"Calling a climb a Category 1 or 2 is a somewhat subjective process, but there are some consistent rules.
* CAT. 4 Usually less than 3km in length, an easy pitch that amounts to no more than a sustained rise in the road.
* CAT. 3 Slightly harder, up to 5km in length.
* CAT. 2 Between 5km and 10km, and steeper than a 4-percent grade.
* CAT. 1 Long and steep. Between 10km and 20km, and steeper than a 5-percent grade.
* HORS CATÉGORIE (HC) or Above Category -The longest, steepest mountain climbs. Extremely difficult, sometimes 15km to 20km, with grades often exceeding 10 percent."