Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-06, 12:45 AM   #1
Guest
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Stage 15: Gap - L'Alpe-d'Huez

Stage 15: Gap - L'Alpe-d'Huez, 182 km

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-06, 01:39 PM   #2
C_Heath
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!
 
C_Heath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Off the back @ 188 BPM's
Bikes: 2008 Felt F3 :)
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Hills !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I don't like any other exercise or sports, really.
....

http://www.xxcycle.com/logo_w150h100/bmc.jpg
C_Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-06, 04:07 PM   #3
Allen H
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Piedmont, CA
Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires
Posts: 584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_heath
Hills !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stages 16 & 17 look even worse...or better, depending on whether you're watching or riding
Allen H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-06, 09:25 PM   #4
C_Heath
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!
 
C_Heath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Off the back @ 188 BPM's
Bikes: 2008 Felt F3 :)
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen H
Stages 16 & 17 look even worse...or better, depending on whether you're watching or riding
I have a remote in hand and a beer gut, they still look hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I don't like any other exercise or sports, really.
....

http://www.xxcycle.com/logo_w150h100/bmc.jpg
C_Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-06, 07:50 PM   #5
Kris Flatlander
Senior Member
 
Kris Flatlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bellevue, WA
Bikes: Cannondale Super Six 1, Cannondale F29er 1, Cannondale XTJ, Guru Pista, Lemond Limoge
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are prognostications alright? If so I'll pick Levi to take it, and if not for the win at least top 3.
Kris Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-06, 10:49 PM   #6
gm1230126
barnfullagts
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: WI
Bikes: GT BI Ti/BI Steel - Edge Ti and Steel Xizang Ti and Psyclone Steel
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Where's Danielson when Disco needs him? Bah, they should have brought him along just for 15, 16 and 17.
gm1230126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-06, 10:54 PM   #7
meb
Senior Member
 
meb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: arlington, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Flatlander
Are prognostications alright? If so I'll pick Levi to take it, and if not for the win at least top 3.
That HC climbing finish looks ready made fo Rassmussen.
Since I suspect Menchov will be with Floyd and Kloden, they may turn Rassmussen loose for the stage.
meb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-06, 03:55 PM   #8
godspiral
Senior Member
 
godspiral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rasmussen should be helping menchov. Hopefully the 2 of them with Boogert will attack this stage or next. I doubt Ras will go for a solo win this year. He can prob win climber's jersey, while helping menchov on GC.
godspiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-06, 04:12 PM   #9
oneradtec
Coastal NC
 
oneradtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Bikes: 2004 Trek 5200 w/ Ultegra
Posts: 1,040
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think an aggressive climber like Mercado could possibly win the stage to Alp d'Huez.
He obviously has great form, hence the stage win earlier, and a current top ten on GC.
That said, Floyd appears to be the strongest rider in the group.
oneradtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-06, 04:28 PM   #10
ericy
Seņor Member
 
ericy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna VA
Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't wait for this one to start. I suppose the riders do deserve their rest day however.

I just checked the weather forecast for l'Alpe Huez:

http://my.excite.com/weather/obs.jsp?id=FRXX0230

Tuesday : Sunny early. Becoming mostly cloudy with showers developing later in the day. High around 70F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
ericy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-06, 05:39 PM   #11
Allen H
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Piedmont, CA
Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires
Posts: 584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wonder whether we'll see the same phenomenon of a lot of riders (not just the sprinters, which is expected, but some decent climbers, too) cracking on a steep stage the day after a rest day here, like they did the first day in the Pyrenees.

I think the rest day messes up a lot of the riders' rythm and form, especially on a steeper stage. In any event, there will probably be another shaking up of the GC pecking order by the time they see the Alpe d'Huez....
Allen H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-06, 09:44 PM   #12
meb
Senior Member
 
meb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: arlington, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen H
I wonder whether we'll see the same phenomenon of a lot of riders (not just the sprinters, which is expected, but some decent climbers, too) cracking on a steep stage the day after a rest day here, like they did the first day in the Pyrenees.

I think the rest day messes up a lot of the riders' rythm and form, especially on a steeper stage. In any event, there will probably be another shaking up of the GC pecking order by the time they see the Alpe d'Huez....
I think the rest day helps more riders than breaks form, they're professionals and know what they need do to keep up. Prolly not so much cracking on 15 as 16. I would expect Alpe d'Huez will wear them down so they crack on 16 and 17.
meb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-06, 09:51 PM   #13
meb
Senior Member
 
meb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: arlington, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by godspiral
Rasmussen should be helping menchov. Hopefully the 2 of them with Boogert will attack this stage or next. I doubt Ras will go for a solo win this year. He can prob win climber's jersey, while helping menchov on GC.
I'm sure they'll keep Rasmussen helping Menchov in on 17, and at least one of 15 & 16. I think the peloton will be sufficiently bunched Tuesday Rasmussen's services might not be needed.

You're probably right, Chicken can likely win the dots while doing domestique duty. Funny thing is it's starting to look like Rasmussen's best competitor might turn out to be his leadout man.

A Rab attack is something I expect 16 or 17.

Even if they keep him back, they might turn him loose on final climb after he's pulled for Menchov.
meb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-06, 10:28 AM   #14
BryE
Seņor Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Central Illinois, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meb
I think the rest day helps more riders than breaks form, they're professionals and know what they need do to keep up. Prolly not so much cracking on 15 as 16. I would expect Alpe d'Huez will wear them down so they crack on 16 and 17.
Check out the stage profile for 16 - it starts right at the base of Galibier - there's no flat section at all, they start climbing that monster right from the edge of town. Stage 16 will be a day of cracking for sure.
BryE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-06, 10:36 AM   #15
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic
 
DrPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9
Posts: 17,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Enough with the rest day! I need my 15/16/17 fix! I've been sucked into threads about spoiling spoilers for the spoiled! Start already, before we all go inane, I mean, insane!

DrPete
DrPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-06, 10:44 AM   #16
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer
 
'nother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northern CA
Bikes: several
Posts: 4,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPete
before we all go inane
Doc, there ain't no cure for that


But I agree, I'm really looking forward to the upcoming stages...the real meat of the race!
'nother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-06, 10:48 AM   #17
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic
 
DrPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9
Posts: 17,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, in years past you just looked forward to the stages where LA would finally make his move and kill everyone. Now the race has totally changed, anything can happen, and I think it's more exciting than ever!

DrPete
DrPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-06, 11:25 AM   #18
webist
Huachuca Rider
 
webist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 4,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Agree
__________________
Just Peddlin' Around
webist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-06, 12:27 PM   #19
flythebike
Wher'd u Get That Jacket?
 
flythebike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Somewhere in the Tubes
Bikes: Calfee Dragonfly, Lemond Poprad, Airborne Manhatten Project, Calfee Luna Fixie
Posts: 1,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meb
I'm sure they'll keep Rasmussen helping Menchov in on 17, and at least one of 15 & 16. I think the peloton will be sufficiently bunched Tuesday Rasmussen's services might not be needed.

You're probably right, Chicken can likely win the dots while doing domestique duty. Funny thing is it's starting to look like Rasmussen's best competitor might turn out to be his leadout man.

A Rab attack is something I expect 16 or 17.

Even if they keep him back, they might turn him loose on final climb after he's pulled for Menchov.
You think the pack is going to 'stay bunched' climbing to Alpe D'Huez. Ok. Whatever you say!

Rasmussen and Boogered are working for Menchov to win the race. They'll take some mountain classification points if they're easy to get. If Floyd can't get some help, those guys are going to make it hard on him.
flythebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-06, 12:40 PM   #20
BryE
Seņor Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Central Illinois, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flythebike
If Floyd can't get some help, those guys are going to make it hard on him.
I'm willing to bet that Phonak will be able to give Floyd some help. They haven't ridden hard for several days, and Floyd apparently instructed his team to "take it easy" when he took yellow in the Pyrenees. They ought to be good to go for a few stages at least.
BryE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-06, 01:55 PM   #21
Allen H
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Piedmont, CA
Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires
Posts: 584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryE
I'm willing to bet that Phonak will be able to give Floyd some help. They haven't ridden hard for several days, and Floyd apparently instructed his team to "take it easy" when he took yellow in the Pyrenees. They ought to be good to go for a few stages at least.
They'd better be, or there will likely be attacks coming fast and furious from the other teams w/ GC contenders to try to isolate and/or crack Floyd.
Allen H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-06, 02:06 PM   #22
Smoothie104
Elitist Jackass
 
Smoothie104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Georgia
Bikes: Cannondale 2.8, Specialized S-works E5 road, GT Talera
Posts: 3,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Guess is that Floyd will ride defensivley, one Piero is gone. Although Peiro has finished in the top 10 in the TdF before, remember, he rode for Phonak last year, so they are aware of his abilities. I would like to see Oscar become inspired by the Yellow and fight to keep it at the finish, That would be exciting.
__________________
"You should already be aware that riding with people who steer with their elbows, stick food to the top tube of their frames and ride around in dick togs is not a great idea." -- Classic1
Smoothie104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-06, 02:39 PM   #23
Dead Extra #2
Mostly Harmless
 
Dead Extra #2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sittin' on a bench at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Bikes: Giant OCR1, Giant ATX760, Raleigh Retroglide Seven
Posts: 905
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericy
I can't wait for this one to start. I suppose the riders do deserve their rest day however.

I just checked the weather forecast for l'Alpe Huez:

http://my.excite.com/weather/obs.jsp?id=FRXX0230

Tuesday : Sunny early. Becoming mostly cloudy with showers developing later in the day. High around 70F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Looks like good climbing weather to me.
Dead Extra #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-06, 09:20 PM   #24
C_Heath
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!
 
C_Heath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Off the back @ 188 BPM's
Bikes: 2008 Felt F3 :)
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
got Switchbacks? LOL


Ok, Its hincapies turn, hes gonna redeem on stage fiddeeen!
C_Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-06, 09:31 PM   #25
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic
 
DrPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9
Posts: 17,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothie104
My Guess is that Floyd will ride defensivley, one Piero is gone. Although Peiro has finished in the top 10 in the TdF before, remember, he rode for Phonak last year, so they are aware of his abilities. I would like to see Oscar become inspired by the Yellow and fight to keep it at the finish, That would be exciting.
Floyd won't attack unless provoked, and Oscar will fade back all on his own. Probably.

But Pereiro seems inspired by his Maillot Jaune--Apparently, when he first put it on, he said "I can win the Tour." Big words--we'll see if he and is team are up for it, but I'm thinking not.

I think the Col d'Latauret will decide the stage, and we'll see the top handful of GC hopefuls alone on the Alpe d'Huez, without Oscar Pereiro. He'll crack on the Col d'Izoard.

DrPete
DrPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:10 PM.