Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Transplant Robobo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac, Fuji Cross, Lemond Tourmalet, Specialized Langster
    Posts
    518
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Landis - connection between his TT Position and Bad Hip?

    Could there be a connection between Landis's hip condition and his "mantis" Time Trial position? Might it help roll his hip forward in a way that helps his pain?

    He does say that it doesn't affect his riding... but you still have to wonder. And I'm just curious, no malice here.

    If so, I feel bad for the guy... had to change his position, and THEN had to ride a different bike...

    I'd love to see him at 100%. Get that surgery Landis!

  2. #2
    Easily distracted...
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Decatur, Ga
    My Bikes
    Surley Cross Check
    Posts
    1,067
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know for sure, but Robbie Ventura alluded to that in some of the coverage last week. He said something along the lines of Floyd's preference for a more open hip position leading to the development of his "mantis" hand positions. It makes since that the hip problem lead the team to investigate new hand positions.
    Safe, efficient, and comfortable transportation.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    My Bikes
    Torelli Titanio; Serotta Atlanta Concept; Bridgestone MB4, Raleigh Twenty, Bike Friday Family Tandem
    Posts
    394
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have osteoarthritis and it definitely limits range of motion in my hips. With the bars in a normal position, it's essentially impossible to ride in the drops (putting aside the fact that I'm fat). I expect he does have limited range of motion and finds it painful to bring his knee all the way up to his chest--something I can't do at all.

  4. #4
    Transplant Robobo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac, Fuji Cross, Lemond Tourmalet, Specialized Langster
    Posts
    518
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering his pain level and the fact that it is now public... I wonder if the ICF would change their ruling and waive the aero-bar position rule for him?


    Quote Originally Posted by harlond
    I have osteoarthritis and it definitely limits range of motion in my hips. With the bars in a normal position, it's essentially impossible to ride in the drops (putting aside the fact that I'm fat). I expect he does have limited range of motion and finds it painful to bring his knee all the way up to his chest--something I can't do at all.

  5. #5
    He drop me Grasschopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Central PA
    My Bikes
    '03 Marin Mill Valley, '06 Cannondale Rush, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '07 Bottecchia Euro Sprint Tour Comp Elite Pro 1000
    Posts
    11,436
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robobo1
    Considering his pain level and the fact that it is now public... I wonder if the ICF would change their ruling and waive the aero-bar position rule for him?
    Your joking right?

    Oh well this guy has pain when he rides so why don't we change the rules for him...hmm maybe he can ride a recumbant in the next TT...will that be better on his hip? Oh wait what if we give him a motor...only good for people with a Dr's note.

    NO SPECIAL RULES FOR INDIVIDUALS. If you can't compete under the rules because you are injured or disabled then sorry...have a nice day.
    The views expressed by this poster do not reflect the views of BikeForums.net.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    2,948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasschopper
    NO SPECIAL RULES FOR INDIVIDUALS. If you can't compete under the rules because you are injured or disabled then sorry...have a nice day.
    Your argument might make some sense if UCI didn't already allow morphological exceptions to their position rules.

  7. #7
    He drop me Grasschopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Central PA
    My Bikes
    '03 Marin Mill Valley, '06 Cannondale Rush, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '07 Bottecchia Euro Sprint Tour Comp Elite Pro 1000
    Posts
    11,436
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asgelle
    Your argument might make some sense if UCI didn't already allow morphological exceptions to their position rules.
    For medical conditions? I will admit I don't know the UCI rules and I will also say my feelings go across all sport. I sided with the PGA on the Casy Martin case as well. Great guy, good golfer, couldn't play under the rules (and didn't make the cut when the Govt forced the allowance of a cart just for him).
    The views expressed by this poster do not reflect the views of BikeForums.net.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    2,948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasschopper
    I will admit I don't know the UCI rules ...
    Well that pretty much sums it up, now, doesn't it?
    http://www.uci.ch/modello.asp?1stlev...el1=0&level2=0

  9. #9
    Professional Fuss-Budget Bacciagalupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6,338
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Landis' TT position is a result of his condition:

    Quote Originally Posted by NY Times
    Landis was so dominant that until a below-average performance in early June’s Dauphiné Libéré, some in the media speculated that he might be doping, a rumor that entertains Landis to no end. Though not quite as much as the reports that some rivals have begun to copy his uniquely painful position on the time-trial bike. ‘‘Maybe they should break their hip, and it would work better for them,’’ Landis told me with a smile.
    IMO the guy is obviously off his rocker to compete given his condition, even though he's capable of doing so. There's no way to know what the long-term repercussions will be of this, except that he's got a lifetime of pain and repeated hip surgeries ahead of him for the forseeable future -- which I assume will be severely aggravated by cycling.

    That said, I'd pay to see him roll up to his bike at the starting line in a wheelchair....

  10. #10
    \||||||/ ZachS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    pdx
    My Bikes
    highly modified specialized crossroads and GT hybrid (really a [formerly] 12-speed bmx cruiser, made before 'hybrid' took on its current meaning), as yet unmodified redline 925, couple of other projects
    Posts
    1,362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His hip is already completely ruined and useless, riding might aggravate the condition, but he's throwing out the whole thing and getting a new one regardless. Racing after the surgery would probably have more reprecussions, but then again he can afford as many new hips as they're willing to give him. When you consider what NFL players put their bodies through for far shorter careers, less recognition, and less money, it doesn't seem crazy at all.

  11. #11
    He drop me Grasschopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Central PA
    My Bikes
    '03 Marin Mill Valley, '06 Cannondale Rush, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '07 Bottecchia Euro Sprint Tour Comp Elite Pro 1000
    Posts
    11,436
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asgelle
    Well that pretty much sums it up, now, doesn't it?
    http://www.uci.ch/modello.asp?1stlev...el1=0&level2=0
    How about you point me to the specific rule you are talking about...
    The views expressed by this poster do not reflect the views of BikeForums.net.

  12. #12
    Vanned. worker4youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    My Bikes
    2006 Motobecane Le Champ SL, 2006 Mercier Kilo TT, 2004 Gary Fisher Tassajara
    Posts
    1,244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe

    IMO the guy is obviously off his rocker to compete given his condition, even though he's capable of doing so. There's no way to know what the long-term repercussions will be of this, except that he's got a lifetime of pain and repeated hip surgeries ahead of him for the forseeable future -- which I assume will be severely aggravated by cycling.

    That said, I'd pay to see him roll up to his bike at the starting line in a wheelchair....
    If you read the article carefully, his doctors apparently gave him the go-ahead, though it's never been done. Besides, he's replacing it within the next month...any more damage done to his hips won't matter, since it's being replaced. Might as well get the full use out of them, is probably Floyd's philosophy in this.

  13. #13
    \||||||/ ZachS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    pdx
    My Bikes
    highly modified specialized crossroads and GT hybrid (really a [formerly] 12-speed bmx cruiser, made before 'hybrid' took on its current meaning), as yet unmodified redline 925, couple of other projects
    Posts
    1,362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this, and most of the other questions people have been asking, are all answered in the long NYT article. i suggest reading it.

  14. #14
    Realist Greg180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    Roubaix, Tarmac, Fixed Gear
    Posts
    3,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are missing the point with Floyd...He loves the pain. From his riding all night after the chores his father gave him to riding with injuries all during his career...he acknowledges pain but doesn't use it as an excuse to quit. I only saw this kind of selfless commitment from my fellow team memebers in SF...Pain lets you know you are alive...

    Saying that I was surprised by the press release...maybe he won't be able to finish and is priming the press and the fans for possibly dropping...I hope not, I am an Hincappe fan, (got to admire his years of effort), but I would like to see Floyd in the top three with the bum hip.

  15. #15
    Shut Up and Ride domestique's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    PA (Worst roads in existence)
    My Bikes
    05 Cannondale Six 13 (Record 2008 with DT rr 1.1 rims, WI H2 Hubs and CX-ray spokes), OLMO Antares (Micx of 06 Record and Chorus), 1988 Tunturri, 1980's Fuji, 1970's Crescent (Sweeden)
    Posts
    1,969
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
    Yes, Landis' TT position is a result of his condition:



    IMO the guy is obviously off his rocker to compete given his condition, even though he's capable of doing so. There's no way to know what the long-term repercussions will be of this, except that he's got a lifetime of pain and repeated hip surgeries ahead of him for the forseeable future -- which I assume will be severely aggravated by cycling.

    That said, I'd pay to see him roll up to his bike at the starting line in a wheelchair....

    thanks for the article.
    do·mes·tique (dms-tk) n.
    A member of a competitive bicycle-racing team whose role is to assist the team leader, as by setting the pace.

    C'Dale Six13 (Record 08), Olmo Antares (Record/Chorus 06)

  16. #16
    Transplant Robobo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac, Fuji Cross, Lemond Tourmalet, Specialized Langster
    Posts
    518
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asgelle
    Your argument might make some sense if UCI didn't already allow morphological exceptions to their position rules.
    +1 yes they allowed him to have a shot of cortisone (banned substance) for his pain.

  17. #17
    meb
    meb is offline
    Senior Member meb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    arlington, VA
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasschopper
    Your joking right?

    Oh well this guy has pain when he rides so why don't we change the rules for him...hmm maybe he can ride a recumbant in the next TT...will that be better on his hip? Oh wait what if we give him a motor...only good for people with a Dr's note.

    . . . .
    A recumbent should be harder on the hip. You're pedalling while the weight is on the hip. I've found if the seat is off on adjustment by as little as 1-2 inches, the hip gets sore. Also, it's the hip that most often takes the impact in a fall.

  18. #18
    Transplant Robobo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac, Fuji Cross, Lemond Tourmalet, Specialized Langster
    Posts
    518
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by meb
    A recumbent should be harder on the hip. You're pedalling while the weight is on the hip. I've found if the seat is off on adjustment by as little as 1-2 inches, the hip gets sore. Also, it's the hip that most often takes the impact in a fall.

    Floyd Landis is just too hip for his own good.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •