Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: why no team TT?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Oak Park/Chicago IL
    My Bikes
    04 pista 06 fetish fixation s/s
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    why no team TT?

    I was looking forward to a team TT but to my dismay there will be none why???

  2. #2
    It is fantastic. voltman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The OC
    My Bikes
    05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro
    Posts
    7,978
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because they took it out.

  3. #3
    Senior Member rufvelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4,196
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another poor choice by the organizers, in my opinion, and big loss for all. I think every tour should have a team event such as the team TT. It is a great show for the spectators, demonstrates team group skill and ability.

  4. #4
    Senior Member godspiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    876
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a loss only for the teams that would do well in it. Though there are an aweful lot of consecutive flat stages that could use some gimmick to break them up.

  5. #5
    My Name is Nobody
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Europe
    My Bikes
    Marin, Peugeot, My Grandmother's Bike
    Posts
    314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's part of the game, like there will be years they'll ride clockwise, or first stage will be in Pyrenees, or there will be no Alpe d'Huez. Remember last year, there was no real prologue but a mini TT.

    Tour de France "purists" say sometimes a real Tour MUST go up Mont Ventoux, but this year...zip ! Only must have seems to be the last stage over Champs Elysees. I guess that's what makes Tour de France so unique and fascinating at the same time. Good thing about it all riders know the programme by November of the previous year, so they can prepare properly for it.

    I guess this year the big losers were the organisers of Eindhoven's first team time trial. As it was a PRO Tour race all major ones had to be there, but all teams sent their B-team only. Shame.
    Health, Friendship and Love

  6. #6
    Senior Member ken cummings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    northern California
    My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
    Posts
    5,605
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the Francophobes I seem to recall a non-french team winning it three years in a row. Good enough reason to give it a rest. TT gear is pushing a little close to the UCI technology limit, Look for a banning of various bits of aerodynamic gear.
    This space open

  7. #7
    Seņor Member USAZorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    My Bikes
    1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1994 Trek 830 MTB, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead, Unicycle
    Posts
    13,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to wonder if it doesn't have to do with the "stop loss" situation involved. On the one hand, it's kind of unfair to penalize a team that finishes way ahead of another by limiting the amount of time that they can pick up on them. On the other, it would be a hard pill to swallow for a strong GC contender, if his team put in a slow TTT to be set back the entire amount of the difference and effectively be put out of contention for something he is (at most) 20% responsible for. Possibly easier to just not have the TTT, than to take the criticism for how it is scored?
    The search for inner peace continues...

  8. #8
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,125
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=adamastor] like there will be years they'll ride clockwise, QUOTE]

    As in every other year.

  9. #9
    My Name is Nobody
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Europe
    My Bikes
    Marin, Peugeot, My Grandmother's Bike
    Posts
    314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ken cummings
    For the Francophobes I seem to recall a non-french team winning it three years in a row. Good enough reason to give it a rest. TT gear is pushing a little close to the UCI technology limit, Look for a banning of various bits of aerodynamic gear.
    Can't remember ANY French team winning it anyway over the last 10 years, so they were really stupid in not stopping it ages ago. If I recall correctly, even in Hinault's times, it used to be good old Dutch Ti Raleigh winning it all the time, with Raas, Kneteman and Co.
    Health, Friendship and Love

  10. #10
    Senior Member Keith99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,703
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adamastor
    Can't remember ANY French team winning it anyway over the last 10 years, so they were really stupid in not stopping it ages ago. If I recall correctly, even in Hinault's times, it used to be good old Dutch Ti Raleigh winning it all the time, with Raas, Kneteman and Co.
    From 82 thru 86 it looks like every team to win the TTT was French. A mild surprise is that many of those Teams were lead by Figneon, not Hinault. One where I could be wrong is Coop-Mercier-Mavic. After all Joop was hte team leader, but 7 out of 9 riders were French.

    Though I think adamastor is right about the last 10 years and not that far off going back to Hinault. Before 82 it looked more like Dutch teams winning. And in 82 the TTT as cancelled to to protests. Perhaps the French are hoping that a one year absence of the TTT might produce similar results.

  11. #11
    Senior Member roadwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Galt Gulch
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Super Six High Mod, Evo, Sram Red, CAAD9 Rival
    Posts
    9,869
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USAZorro
    I have to wonder if it doesn't have to do with the "stop loss" situation involved. On the one hand, it's kind of unfair to penalize a team that finishes way ahead of another by limiting the amount of time that they can pick up on them. On the other, it would be a hard pill to swallow for a strong GC contender, if his team put in a slow TTT to be set back the entire amount of the difference and effectively be put out of contention for something he is (at most) 20% responsible for. Possibly easier to just not have the TTT, than to take the criticism for how it is scored?
    It's funny, but the teams that are on top right now are the ones I would have thought (and in the past have been) would be strongest in a TTT.
    You can be a GC "contender" with a weak team...

    You can't be a serious GC contender without a strong team.

    It would have made this endless week and a half of flat stages a lot more interesting.
    "Nothing is so typical of middling minds than to harp on the intellectual deficiencies of the slightly less smart, but considerably more successful."
    Bret Stephens, WSJ

  12. #12
    My Name is Nobody
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Europe
    My Bikes
    Marin, Peugeot, My Grandmother's Bike
    Posts
    314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior
    It's funny, but the teams that are on top right now are the ones I would have thought (and in the past have been) would be strongest in a TTT.
    You can be a GC "contender" with a weak team...

    You can't be a serious GC contender without a strong team.

    It would have made this endless week and a half of flat stages a lot more interesting.
    Now for a future Tour de France imagine a TTT up Alpe d'Huez? That would have style, don't you think? Although, na, stupid idea, the team leader would just go off straight at the first kilometre...

    or a TTT downhill? Any more splendid ideas?
    Health, Friendship and Love

  13. #13
    My Name is Nobody
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Europe
    My Bikes
    Marin, Peugeot, My Grandmother's Bike
    Posts
    314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior
    It's funny, but the teams that are on top right now are the ones I would have thought (and in the past have been) would be strongest in a TTT.
    You can be a GC "contender" with a weak team...

    You can't be a serious GC contender without a strong team.

    It would have made this endless week and a half of flat stages a lot more interesting.
    roadwarrior, don't mind me asking, but are you really Belgian? Or is it just because you used to support Merckx, Van Impe, Pollentier and CO ?
    Health, Friendship and Love

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •