Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Dennis Menchov

  1. #1
    Forum Admin lotek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    n.w. superdrome
    My Bikes
    1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa
    Posts
    17,634
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Dennis Menchov

    Does anyone else but me think he is a real
    sleeper, very quiet in the peloton in that
    you don't hear alot from him.
    I have a hunch that come Paris Dennis
    is going to podium.

    Marty
    Sono più lento di quel che sembra.
    Odio la gente, tutti.

    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. Its free, and only takes 27 seconds!
    Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    My Bikes
    Torelli Titanio; Serotta Atlanta Concept; Bridgestone MB4, Raleigh Twenty, Bike Friday Family Tandem
    Posts
    394
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure he's a sleeper, the Vuelta winner has been mentioned since the beginning and given his decent TT has to be considered a threat. Agree he's definitely a podium possibility. And he's looking well supported in the lead group today.

  3. #3
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,363
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harlond
    I'm not sure he's a sleeper, the Vuelta winner has been mentioned since the beginning and given his decent TT has to be considered a threat. Agree he's definitely a podium possibility. And he's looking well supported in the lead group today.

    my take exactly. Riding strong up front right now on the Pla de Baret, with Boogard pulling for him.

  4. #4
    Since Ever Since Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,574
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think so too.

    My top 3 as of now:

    Landis
    Evans
    Menchov

  5. #5
    Freshly shorn
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    My Bikes
    Scott Speedster S3
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I've seen from him so far this year, he's a pansy afraid to do any work on the climbs.

  6. #6
    Senior Member roadwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Galt Gulch
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Super Six High Mod, Evo, Sram Red, CAAD9 Rival
    Posts
    10,039
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lotek
    Does anyone else but me think he is a real
    sleeper, very quiet in the peloton in that
    you don't hear alot from him.
    I have a hunch that come Paris Dennis
    is going to podium.

    Marty
    I guess I have a bit of a problem with a rider who does little work, then takes the stage win. It looks pretty hollow.

    He did p ss off Floyd...Menchov will pretend not to speak any English...
    "Nothing is so typical of middling minds than to harp on the intellectual deficiencies of the slightly less smart, but considerably more successful."
    Bret Stephens, WSJ

  7. #7
    Lance Hater Laggard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    4,316
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinster
    From what I've seen from him so far this year, he's a pansy afraid to do any work on the climbs.
    Oh shut the hell up.
    i may have overreacted

  8. #8
    Since Ever Since Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,574
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Laggard
    Oh shut the hell up.
    LOL.

  9. #9
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,363
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior
    I guess I have a bit of a problem with a rider who does little work, then takes the stage win. It looks pretty hollow.

    He did p ss off Floyd...Menchov will pretend not to speak any English...
    That's bike racing. Floyd was more concerned about putting time on as many rivals as possible. Winning the stage was secondary. No reason to waste energy for a stage win that doesn't give a meaningful time difference. From the profile, it looked like the last 500 meters was pretty flat. I think you'll see Floyd try to attack Menchov in the Alps, on climbs where he has a chance to create some seperation.

  10. #10
    Freshly shorn
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    My Bikes
    Scott Speedster S3
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously I'm not talking about using teammates as sacrificial lambs--that's what teams are for. From what I've observed this year, when Menchov is alone with other leaders on critical climbs he balks at taking his share of the load. He played similar tactics with Levi during the Dauphiné--the group allegedly came to standstill waiting for Menchov to finally go to the front.

    Sure Floyd wanted to gain time, but everyone in that group needed to put time into the other GC contenders that were dropped. Once he found out he couldn't attack the other leaders, all Menchov did was sit on until the end.

  11. #11
    Freshly shorn
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    My Bikes
    Scott Speedster S3
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Laggard
    Oh shut the hell up.

  12. #12
    Senior Member godspiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    876
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior
    I guess I have a bit of a problem with a rider who does little work, then takes the stage win. It looks pretty hollow.

    He did p ss off Floyd...Menchov will pretend not to speak any English...
    Landis and Levi didn't do any work either. Menchov at least used his team to do the work

  13. #13
    Out of Commission OC Roadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Felt FC, S-Works Roubaix, Epic Comp, Cyfac Proxidium
    Posts
    2,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    I think so too.

    My top 3 as of now:

    Landis
    Evans
    Menchov
    I'll take that for a Box Trifecta
    If you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, then come sit next to me.

  14. #14
    Señor Member USAZorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    My Bikes
    1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1994 Trek 830 MTB, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead, Unicycle
    Posts
    13,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinster
    Obviously I'm not talking about using teammates as sacrificial lambs--that's what teams are for. From what I've observed this year, when Menchov is alone with other leaders on critical climbs he balks at taking his share of the load. He played similar tactics with Levi during the Dauphiné--the group allegedly came to standstill waiting for Menchov to finally go to the front.

    Sure Floyd wanted to gain time, but everyone in that group needed to put time into the other GC contenders that were dropped. Once he found out he couldn't attack the other leaders, all Menchov did was sit on until the end.
    Three observations.

    One, in the post-race interview, Floyd said Menchov had been doing his share. No complaints from Floyd, why should we sitting in armchairs whine about it?

    Two, Menchov is not stupid. He knew that he would not be able to take any time out of Floyd, and that Floyd was not going to slow down and play tactical games trying to win the stage when the yellow jersey was at stake. He and Levi did exactly what 99.99% of the riders in that same situation would do - go for the stage win.

    Three - unless something unfortunate happens to Floyd, Menchov will not be able to take enough hunks of time out of Floyd to get ahead of him. He, Evans, Sastre, Kloden, and possibly Simoni will be fighting it out for the other positions on the podium.
    The search for inner peace continues...

  15. #15
    Freshly shorn
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    My Bikes
    Scott Speedster S3
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USAZorro

    One, in the post-race interview, Floyd said Menchov had been doing his share. No complaints from Floyd, why should we sitting in armchairs whine about it?
    Because this is a freaking internet bulletin board!! What the hell else are we supposed to do?

  16. #16
    Senior Member Ceiliazul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    115
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spinster: it's 79F in San Mateo right now. What else to do?? I got an idea! :-p

    Off from work in 2 hours... can't wait
    Jesus Christ made me a man
    Ken Kifer made me a cyclist

  17. #17
    Señor Member USAZorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    My Bikes
    1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1994 Trek 830 MTB, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead, Unicycle
    Posts
    13,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinster
    Because this is a freaking internet bulletin board!! What the hell else are we supposed to do?
    doh! Silly me. I got carried away. Sorry.
    The search for inner peace continues...

  18. #18
    Freshly shorn
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    My Bikes
    Scott Speedster S3
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceiliazul
    Spinster: it's 79F in San Mateo right now. What else to do?? I got an idea! :-p

    Off from work in 2 hours... can't wait
    Indeed, I shall "let it all hang out" as soon as I get home.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •