Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Senior Member Shemp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T2000, Gary Fisher Sugar2, Trek Madone 5.2SL
    Posts
    858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Another day spoiled by the news (no spoilers)

    Anyone else getting to find it difficult to avoid hearing about the Tour? The last couple years were difficult due to Lance, but with Floyd's win yesterday, it's getting hard again. I can't listen to the radio, watch cable news, read any Internet news site, etc. Argh. No more outside world for me!

  2. #2
    OCP
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    MILWAUKEE
    My Bikes
    The kind with two wheels
    Posts
    6,289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what you mean.

    I am like that during the coverage of the Olympics.

    But when it comes to Le Tour, I am lucky to have a job that finds me at home all morning working on line, so I watch the live coverage and work during the commercials.

    It's a pretty sweet setup.
    Hip, "Halffast Celebrity Fashionista"

  3. #3
    Mostly Harmless Dead Extra #2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sittin' on a bench at the railway station, one toke over the line.
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR1, Giant ATX760, Raleigh Retroglide Seven
    Posts
    905
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The local A.M. station spoiled it for me yesterday. WTH? I'm sure these hillbillys have never heard of France, let alone "Le Tour".
    --
    If your relationship still works, you could be training harder.

  4. #4
    OCP
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    MILWAUKEE
    My Bikes
    The kind with two wheels
    Posts
    6,289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Extra #2
    The local A.M. station spoiled it for me yesterday. WTH? I'm sure these hillbillys have never heard of France, let alone "Le Tour".
    Ouch...that hits close to home since I'm a local A.M. radio talk show host in the afternoon.
    I do a Tour update every day at the same time, so that's fair warning to those who do not want to know.

    I even got my LBS in on the action as the sponsor of the segment.
    It feels great to do something for the sport in my community.
    Hip, "Halffast Celebrity Fashionista"

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would want to avoid hearing about the Tour? I get up in the morning, turn on the computer, and start following the race. If I have to go downtown, I find someone with a computer (such as the fifty people with laptops sitting in every Starbucks) to get Tour updates.

    Are there folks hiding in caves so that they can be "surprised" when they watch the OLN recap at 8 p.m. at night?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Shemp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T2000, Gary Fisher Sugar2, Trek Madone 5.2SL
    Posts
    858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
    Are there folks hiding in caves so that they can be "surprised" when they watch the OLN recap at 8 p.m. at night?

    That's what I'm saying. I'd rather watch it in it's entirety and be surprised at the end than hear snippets of what happened and then watch it. I hate to hide in a cave, but that's apparently what I'm going to do. I can see being anxious to hear what happened, but doesn't it spoil the viewing experience?

  7. #7
    He drop me Grasschopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Central PA
    My Bikes
    '03 Marin Mill Valley, '06 Cannondale Rush, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '07 Bottecchia Euro Sprint Tour Comp Elite Pro 1000
    Posts
    11,436
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shemp
    That's what I'm saying. I'd rather watch it in it's entirety and be surprised at the end than hear snippets of what happened and then watch it. I hate to hide in a cave, but that's apparently what I'm going to do. I can see being anxious to hear what happened, but doesn't it spoil the viewing experience?
    Ok so you are on the WWW and on a bike forum and you honestly think you are going to avoid seeing info on the winner of...well anything? Give it up and either hide in a cave or deal with it. I watched the live play by play od Eurosport.com, read the results recap on cycling news, read the threads here and am STILL going to enjoy watching it tonight on OLN. Sorry the internet doesn't come with blinders, especially if you are going to frequent a sport specific forum.
    The views expressed by this poster do not reflect the views of BikeForums.net.

  8. #8
    Mostly Harmless Dead Extra #2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sittin' on a bench at the railway station, one toke over the line.
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR1, Giant ATX760, Raleigh Retroglide Seven
    Posts
    905
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hipcycler
    Ouch...that hits close to home since I'm a local A.M. radio talk show host in the afternoon.
    I do a Tour update every day at the same time, so that's fair warning to those who do not want to know.
    It really caught me off guard because in 30 years of listening to this station (same guys I might add) I've NEVER heard them mention cycle racing.

    To the rest of you guys: Didn't you see the Seinfeld episode where he greets people and answers the phone with "Dont tell me who won the game!".
    --
    If your relationship still works, you could be training harder.

  9. #9
    Senior Member user0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    My Bikes
    specialized roubaix comp dbl Gerolsteiner
    Posts
    94
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Extra #2
    To the rest of you guys: Didn't you see the Seinfeld episode where he greets people and answers the phone with "Dont tell me who won the game!".
    man I miss that show ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Shemp
    Anyone else getting to find it difficult to avoid hearing about the Tour? The last couple years were difficult due to Lance, but with Floyd's win yesterday, it's getting hard again. I can't listen to the radio, watch cable news, read any Internet news site, etc. Argh. No more outside world for me!
    dosent everyone take vacation this tme of year ?
    The only difference between Fear and Excitement
    http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7745/misc6iq.gif
    is perception

  10. #10
    OCP
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    MILWAUKEE
    My Bikes
    The kind with two wheels
    Posts
    6,289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really caught me off guard because in 30 years of listening to this station (same guys I might add) I've NEVER heard them mention cycle racing.

    Yup...I'm probably the only one on the radio talking at length (or at all) about the Tour!
    Hip, "Halffast Celebrity Fashionista"

  11. #11
    My Name is Nobody
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Europe
    My Bikes
    Marin, Peugeot, My Grandmother's Bike
    Posts
    314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shemp
    Anyone else getting to find it difficult to avoid hearing about the Tour? The last couple years were difficult due to Lance, but with Floyd's win yesterday, it's getting hard again. I can't listen to the radio, watch cable news, read any Internet news site, etc. Argh. No more outside world for me!
    Listen to European radio
    Health, Friendship and Love

  12. #12
    Senior Member filtersweep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,615
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adamastor
    Listen to European radio
    Or move to Europe... they show the entire stages here. I can't imagine ever watching OLN's bizarre coverage ever again.

  13. #13
    OCP
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    MILWAUKEE
    My Bikes
    The kind with two wheels
    Posts
    6,289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by filtersweep
    Or move to Europe... they show the entire stages here. I can't imagine ever watching OLN's bizarre coverage ever again.
    Wonderful.

    Here in the states we're lucky to get OLN!

    I'd move there if you've got a job for me.
    Hip, "Halffast Celebrity Fashionista"

  14. #14
    Up on the Down Side CyLowe97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Chicago(ish)
    Posts
    6,327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hipcycler
    I do a Tour update every day at the same time, so that's fair warning to those who do not want to know.
    What time is that, Hip? I sometimes catch you guys on my drive home...

  15. #15
    Hey let's ride. pathdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Allen, TX
    My Bikes
    Torelli road bike, Tsunami tandem
    Posts
    2,004
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole spoiler idea is just ignorant. Things happen in real time. Just listen to the live broadcast in the AM or simply avoid all media.

  16. #16
    OCP
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    MILWAUKEE
    My Bikes
    The kind with two wheels
    Posts
    6,289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CyLowe97
    What time is that, Hip? I sometimes catch you guys on my drive home...
    4:40-ish each afternoon.

    Listen Live on net:

    http://www.620wtmj.com/_content/news...ouse/index.asp

    Except of course for the OP! I'm not spoiling it for you...
    Hip, "Halffast Celebrity Fashionista"

  17. #17
    Up on the Down Side CyLowe97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Chicago(ish)
    Posts
    6,327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pathdoc
    The whole spoiler idea is just ignorant. Things happen in real time. Just listen to the live broadcast in the AM or simply avoid all media.
    +1. Though I do understand the spoiler concept, what's the time-limit on tour spoilers? Does it last until the fourth OLN re-run (i.e., "enhanced by Al and Bob" version)?

    If you are savvy enough to post on Bike Forums throughout the day, you're savvy enough to check out cyclingnews.com or velonews.com for their every-few-minutes updates during each stage. They provide just as much information and a lot less Saab or Styx-filled-promos for the station you're already watching.

    If not, then stick your head in the sand, log off, and listen to a CD on the way home.

  18. #18
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,301
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pathdoc
    The whole spoiler idea is just ignorant. Things happen in real time. Just listen to the live broadcast in the AM or simply avoid all media.
    +1

  19. #19
    Senior Member Shemp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T2000, Gary Fisher Sugar2, Trek Madone 5.2SL
    Posts
    858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasschopper
    Ok so you are on the WWW and on a bike forum and you honestly think you are going to avoid seeing info on the winner of...well anything? Give it up and either hide in a cave or deal with it. I watched the live play by play od Eurosport.com, read the results recap on cycling news, read the threads here and am STILL going to enjoy watching it tonight on OLN. Sorry the internet doesn't come with blinders, especially if you are going to frequent a sport specific forum.
    Today it was the radio with no warning, and no, I haven't seen a spoiler while on the bike forum. Thanks for the eyeroll though. I did manage to get through the first 10 stages without being spoiled.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Shemp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T2000, Gary Fisher Sugar2, Trek Madone 5.2SL
    Posts
    858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pathdoc
    The whole spoiler idea is just ignorant. Things happen in real time. Just listen to the live broadcast in the AM or simply avoid all media.
    How is it "ignorant?" Futile, maybe a bit, but ignorant? The subtitle of the forum says do not post spoilers in the titles, is that an act of ignorance?

    Sorry for venting a little about hearing a spoiler. I didn't realize it made me a jag to want to watch the coverage in it's entirety with full anticipation of what happens at the end. Mea culpa.

  21. #21
    Mostly Harmless Dead Extra #2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sittin' on a bench at the railway station, one toke over the line.
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR1, Giant ATX760, Raleigh Retroglide Seven
    Posts
    905
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not the one in the wrong Shemp. Sadly the concept of being kind to others being lost.
    --
    If your relationship still works, you could be training harder.

  22. #22
    Up on the Down Side CyLowe97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Chicago(ish)
    Posts
    6,327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    again, can anyone tell us this....
    Though I do understand the spoiler concept, what's the time-limit on tour spoilers? Does it last until the fourth OLN re-run (i.e., "enhanced by Al and Bob" version)?

  23. #23
    Cycling Anarchist Trsnrtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,066
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to flop in the old easy chair after work to watch the tour on OLN and I want to experience the race blindly in all its glory without knowing who wins. For that reason, I've learned to avoid the net almost completely until after seeing the race.

    However, my wife is like a kid at Christmas who won't tell you what she bought you but through all of the hints, innuendo, and process of elimination, it soon becomes obvious. The other day, there was a break and my wife who promised not to ruin it for me, casually mentions that it was a heck of a pack sprint. Pack sprint? I'm sitting there watching a break 10k from the line with a 1 minute gap wondering if they're going to get caught when my wife goes "Oops, was that too much information?"
    Dennis T

  24. #24
    Senior Member Jarery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Coquitlam
    Posts
    2,538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    World Cup soccor match the other weekend. I had work I couldnt get out of stop me from watching it, so i taped it.

    I turned off the radio, no tv, no nothing. No net browsing while waiting, Skipped going to pub at lunch so i wouldnt see the score. Isolated myself the whoel day and maanged to not hear anything.

    On way home I got within 2 blocks of home and some kid was standing in his yard with a HUGE sign saying "grats italy"

    I woulda had to drive with my eyes closed to miss it :/
    Jarery

    -If you cant see it from space, its not a real hill
    -If two bikes are going in the same direction, ITS A RACE!

  25. #25
    1. e4 Nf6 Alekhine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    7844`W, 4246`N
    My Bikes
    Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)
    Posts
    870
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarery
    World Cup soccor match the other weekend. I had work I couldnt get out of stop me from watching it, so i taped it.

    I turned off the radio, no tv, no nothing. No net browsing while waiting, Skipped going to pub at lunch so i wouldnt see the score. Isolated myself the whoel day and maanged to not hear anything.

    On way home I got within 2 blocks of home and some kid was standing in his yard with a HUGE sign saying "grats italy"

    I woulda had to drive with my eyes closed to miss it :/


    That's terrible.
    Signature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •