Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Professional Cycling For the Fans (http://www.bikeforums.net/professional-cycling-fans/)
-   -   Yes, the French can be gracious (http://www.bikeforums.net/professional-cycling-fans/213353-yes-french-can-gracious.html)

7rider 07-23-06 10:06 PM

Yes, the French can be gracious
 
This morning, my buddy and I were on Stevens Canyon Road headed for Redwood Gulch Road to Highway 9 and Skyline, when we were passed by two cyclists. As we were climbing, one of them turned back and said in a French accent, "This is a nice road. We are visiting from France. Congratulations on Floyd Landis!" We said thank you and wished him a good ride as he zoomed away on his Time.

georgiaboy 07-23-06 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7rider
This morning, my buddy and I were on Stevens Canyon Road headed for Redwood Gulch Road to Highway 9 and Skyline, when we were passed by two cyclists. As we were climbing, one of them turned back and said in a French accent, "This is a nice road. We are visiting from France. Congratulations on Floyd Landis!" We said thank you and wished him a good ride as he zoomed away on his Time.

You should anwered in spanglish "I was rooting for Oscar Pereiro, you fool.", lol

JK, nice story...

StalkerZERO 07-23-06 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgiaboy
You should anwered in spanglish "I was rooting for Oscar Pereiro, you fool.", lol

JK, nice story...

lol

shakeNbake 07-23-06 10:29 PM

I have a feeling that the France will be more friendly to Landis than Armstrong.

Gee, I wonder why:rolleyes:

hollow 07-24-06 08:39 AM

When I've been in France I've found the people to be friendly and helpful. But, maybe that has as much to do with me as it does with them.

oboeguy 07-24-06 09:20 AM

I don't understand the poor rep the French get. Sure, Parisians, maybe, but it's outright racism, IMO, to French-bash the way so many Americans do. Anyhow, even the Parisians are OK if you speak French well enough, IME. :D

Anyhow, I think the French, who in their history of cycling fandom, laud great suffering will appreciate Landis' hip story and how he won this Tour.

ericy 07-24-06 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oboeguy
I don't understand the poor rep the French get. Sure, Parisians, maybe, but it's outright racism, IMO, to French-bash the way so many Americans do. Anyhow, even the Parisians are OK if you speak French well enough, IME. :D

Anyhow, I think the French, who in their history of cycling fandom, laud great suffering will appreciate Landis' hip story and how he won this Tour.

If he hadn't bonked and then had a comeback, I think there would have been grousing that the win was missing something. I suspect that's what fans like to see - someone come out and face adversity and then come back and blow away the competition.

Lance used to dominate too, but he never had a bad day quite like Floyd. He dehydrated on one time trial I recall, but didn't lose anywhere nearly as much time.

furiousferret 07-24-06 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oboeguy
I don't understand the poor rep the French get. Sure, Parisians, maybe, but it's outright racism, IMO, to French-bash the way so many Americans do. Anyhow, even the Parisians are OK if you speak French well enough, IME. :D


When we first arrived in Paris, my wife misprounced an address to a cab driver in French. He then tossed our luggage out of his trunk (and I mean tossed, not placed) screamed at my wife and left. If I wasn't so stunned at what just happened I would have cleaned his clock.

That was really the only bad experience I had in France, except for a McDonalds clerk screaming at me for taking a picture of thier menu (you know, 'Royale with Cheese') but it did leave a bad impression.

SteveE 07-24-06 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by furiousferret
That was really the only bad experience I had in France, except for a McDonalds clerk screaming at me for taking a picture of thier menu (you know, 'Royale with Cheese') but it did leave a bad impression.

WTF were you doing at a McD's in France, fer Cris'sake?!?!? Just going to McDonald's is enough of a bad experience... even in the States.

ericy 07-24-06 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveE
WTF were you doing at a McD's in France, fer Cris'sake?!?!? Just going to McDonald's is enough of a bad experience... even in the States.

The only time I go into a McDs is to use the toilet. I then walk out without buying anything.:D

roadwarrior 07-25-06 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakeNbake
I have a feeling that the France will be more friendly to Landis than Armstrong.

Gee, I wonder why:rolleyes:

They were friendly when he won his first. He was a hero.

Ah, how time changes things....

Johnny_Monkey 07-25-06 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by furiousferret
When we first arrived in Paris, my wife misprounced an address to a cab driver in French. He then tossed our luggage out of his trunk (and I mean tossed, not placed) screamed at my wife and left. If I wasn't so stunned at what just happened I would have cleaned his clock.

That was really the only bad experience I had in France, except for a McDonalds clerk screaming at me for taking a picture of thier menu (you know, 'Royale with Cheese') but it did leave a bad impression.


Maybe your wife accidentally called his wife a wh0re or something.


If Paris taxi drivers are like everywhere else they're probably not French anyway.

roadwarrior 07-25-06 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny_Monkey
Maybe your wife accidentally called his wife a wh0re or something.


If Paris taxi drivers are like everywhere else they're probably not French anyway.

Algerian?

Johnny_Monkey 07-25-06 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadwarrior
Algerian?


Who knows. I've never caught a cab in Paris, but all the cab drivers in Den Haag were Afghans, and in most other cities I've visited the taxi drivers have been fairly recent immigrants (London Black cabs are an exception).

Az B 07-25-06 06:39 AM

The rudest person I've ever met in Paris was an American.

Az

Johnny_Monkey 07-25-06 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Az B
The rudest person I've ever met in Paris was an American.

Az


I've met some pretty rude people (of which I can be one), but Americans only stand out because they talk so loudly.

cooker 07-25-06 06:47 AM

I'd always heard Parisiens were rude, but I was a tad more sympathetic to them after I went there and discovered every second person is a tourist and they're all constantly asking for directions in English. I'm sure it's easy to occasionally forget they are spending money keeping the city solvent, and lose it when you're asked the 30th time where the Eiffel Tower is (hint: you can see it from everywhere in the city)

baj32161 07-25-06 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollow
When I've been in France I've found the people to be friendly and helpful. But, maybe that has as much to do with me as it does with them.

I have traveled through Europe and have noticed this everywhere.

Karlotta 07-25-06 09:02 AM

Never lived in Paris... did live in Montpellier and Strasbourg for several years. The French were no more nor less rude than the residents of other places where I've lived. There were cultural differences of course, but it wasn't about rudeness. When Americans go to France, they see, for the most part, urban folks, who live a faster paced life with the same stressers that you'd find in a large American city. Folks in large American cities also sometimes get a rap for being rude.

genec 07-25-06 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooker
I'd always heard Parisiens were rude, but I was a tad more sympathetic to them after I went there and discovered every second person is a tourist and they're all constantly asking for directions in English. I'm sure it's easy to occasionally forget they are spending money keeping the city solvent, and lose it when you're asked the 30th time where the Eiffel Tower is (hint: you can see it from everywhere in the city)

It is even more enlightening when you look at a French book on language and see so many familiar words and realize that often we are simply throwing their language back at them, only very badly pronounced. The word "direction" for instance is exactly the same but pronouned differently. Symmpathetic is similar but with a "que" at the end. "sympathique" Solvent is close... "dissolvant."

Of course the arrangement of the sentences is a bit different also... as are the use of words with male and female roots... thus la and le can be quite confusing.

ZachS 07-25-06 09:57 AM

I spent three weeks in Paris last year, and the only experience I had that even approached rude behavior was when a businessman wouldn't tell my friends and I what time it was. Everybody else was extraordinarily kind and warm-hearted, in a very honest and genuine way - and I don't even speak French, except for a few phrases.

They are:

Bonjour, madame.
Bonjour, monsieur.
Un ______, sil vous plait.
Merci beaucoup.
Je ne parlais pas Francais.
Parlez vous Anglais?

That is literally all I knew, and all anybody needs to know. Most Parisians speak some English, and even though they don't like using it, they will if they like you.

And they like people who make an effort. Americans heads would explode if people started talking to them in foreign languages.

genec 07-25-06 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZachS
I spent three weeks in Paris last year, and the only experience I had that even approached rude behavior was when a businessman wouldn't tell my friends and I what time it was. Everybody else was extraordinarily kind and warm-hearted, in a very honest and genuine way - and I don't even speak French, except for a few phrases.

They are:

Bonjour, madame.
Bonjour, monsieur.
Un ______, sil vous plait.
Merci beaucoup.
Je ne parlais pas Francais.
Parlez vous Anglais?

That is literally all I knew, and all anybody needs to know. Most Parisians speak some English, and even though they don't like using it, they will if they like you.

And they like people who make an effort. Americans heads would explode if people started talking to them in foreign languages.


Tend to agree with you. I spend two weeks in the south of France last year and had a great time. I was courteous and always made a point to greet the shopkeepers. My french is very poor, but I do speak a bit.

I found the food, wine, cheese and bread worth the trip alone. We drove from Paris to Bandol and even quite enjoyed the drive, the roads being well built and well marked. I was rather surprised how much of the countryside is devoted to agriculture. I was also quite pleased at the great mid day meals we had everwhere... Anyone chosing McD's over French food should get their taste buds examined. (although admittedly we do prepare "french fries" far far better... )

And the women... quelle vue. Cherchez les femmes!

Travelinguyrt 07-25-06 02:03 PM

I ignore Americans who pass off nasty comments about the French.At first I asked when were you there? Without fail the reply was oh, We would never go there, the french like us only for the money we bring and spend, or we have friends who went and didn't enjoy for this or that reason, stupid responses from stupid people

I went, my first ever long bike trip in '04, the 60th anniversery of the D-Day invasions, the French gov't invited and paid the expenses of hundreds of the old old survivors of that day, plus their families,to see those old gentlemen proudly showing children and grandkids what they had to do, was something I will never forget. And to see many, many French old people AND the young walking and talking with the Aericans was great. Time after time I was stopped and asked if my father was among the troops those months, he wasn't but they all, WITHOU FAIL thanked me as an American for the help AMERICA has so generously given over 2 wars to help them

The French were our first international allies, without the help, miliary and financial we may not have our independence to day

Every French person I spoke with that year was hoping Armstrong would win that year and when he did there were no drerogatory remarks that I ever heard
On this forum the jealousy seems to be endless and petty
Wonder how many of the detractors have in thier lives ever achieved ANYTHING similar to his accomplishments...I rather doubt it

And the best French fries are in Belguim and ketchup is never used there........mayo only

7rider 07-25-06 02:18 PM

Quote:

The French were our first international allies, without the help, miliary and financial we may not have our independence to day
Yeah, like how Tcheky Karyo helped Mel Gibson in The Patriot!

Quote:

And the women... quelle vue. Cherchez les femmes!
Carole Bouquet and Catherine Deneuve are classic French beauties.

http://independentsources.com/wp-con...s/melissa1.jpg

Melissa Theuriau is a reason to watch French newscasts.

baj32161 07-25-06 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelinguyrt
I ignore Americans who pass off nasty comments about the French.At first I asked when were you there? Without fail the reply was oh, We would never go there, the french like us only for the money we bring and spend, or we have friends who went and didn't enjoy for this or that reason, stupid responses from stupid people

I went, my first ever long bike trip in '04, the 60th anniversery of the D-Day invasions, the French gov't invited and paid the expenses of hundreds of the old old survivors of that day, plus their families,to see those old gentlemen proudly showing children and grandkids what they had to do, was something I will never forget. And to see many, many French old people AND the young walking and talking with the Aericans was great. Time after time I was stopped and asked if my father was among the troops those months, he wasn't but they all, WITHOU FAIL thanked me as an American for the help AMERICA has so generously given over 2 wars to help them

The French were our first international allies, without the help, miliary and financial we may not have our independence to day

Every French person I spoke with that year was hoping Armstrong would win that year and when he did there were no drerogatory remarks that I ever heard
On this forum the jealousy seems to be endless and petty
Wonder how many of the detractors have in thier lives ever achieved ANYTHING similar to his accomplishments...I rather doubt it

And the best French fries are in Belguim and ketchup is never used there........mayo only

Well said! I have often said many of these same things to my friends who have never been outside of the US. I have not yet been to France but would surely love to go someday. I find it appalling so many Americans are so quick to deride other countries and cultures, yet are so ready to fight when the same is done to us. I love how so many people I know pick on foreigners who have trouble with English, yet can't even differentiate simple English grammatical terms as your and you're, would of and would have, then and than...I could go on and on. I won't even get into the deplorable way so many of us speak the language ourselves.

Cheers,

Brian

And those fries and mayo kick a$$!!!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:02 PM.