Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rogers, AR
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR Comp2, Paramount 1-speed MTB
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    From UCI president Pat McQuaid...

    This pretty much sums up the legitimacy of the lab that did the T/ET ratio test during the tour.

    From Velonews article quoting UCI president Pat McQuaid:

    "Also, we know that the French laboratory [where the testing was done] has a close connection with [French sports daily] L'Équipe, and we did not want this news to come through the press, because we are sure they would have leaked it.

    Considering the lawsuits/drama/etc with Lance and L'Equipe, this seems to be a good way to a) sell papers, and b) continue to make excuses for why the french can't win their own damn race.

    AO

  2. #2
    Senior Member Karlotta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually it doesn't. It may speak more to the fact that the UCI has a history of whitewashing results, assisting in the cover-up... blaming the lab is the first thing a guilty party does. Notice that Landis hasn't done it... yet. But he's hired a lawyer who has a history of it. That's his right. A good defense and all. Halte a la francophobie!

  3. #3
    Senior Member JavaMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    My Bikes
    2013 KHS Flite 747
    Posts
    1,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlotta
    Actually it doesn't. It may speak more to the fact that the UCI has a history of whitewashing results, assisting in the cover-up... blaming the lab is the first thing a guilty party does. Notice that Landis hasn't done it... yet. But he's hired a lawyer who has a history of it. That's his right. A good defense and all. Halte a la francophobie!
    So what's the first thing a non-guilty party does?
    JavaMan!
    Faster than a speeding moped!
    More powerful than the Santa Ana winds!
    Able to bunny-hop railroad tracks in a single bound!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Karlotta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know... there haven't been any yet.

  5. #5
    Senior Member JavaMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    My Bikes
    2013 KHS Flite 747
    Posts
    1,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a cute answer, Karlotta, but not a serious one. It's natural to question the evidence that someone brings against you. I think the lab should be investigated.
    JavaMan!
    Faster than a speeding moped!
    More powerful than the Santa Ana winds!
    Able to bunny-hop railroad tracks in a single bound!

  6. #6
    SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07 Walter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    SE Florida, USA aka the Treasure Coast
    Posts
    5,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does seem a shame that the UCI uses a lab they know will leak to the press.

    I don't buy "the lab is preventing a whitewash" defense of the leaks. The protocol calls for confidentiality until the A test is verified or the rider admits guilt. If that lab can't respect that then the UCI needs to find another. I'm sure there must be others. This isn't high school chemistry but its not nuclear research either.

    It's interesting that every expert interviewed on this story has expressed regrets that the preliminary results were made public.

    Yes I know Phonak divulged the A test too but that was after the UCI spoke to beat the lab leaking and reporters started adding 2+2. Besides does anyone think this could be whitewashed?

    If the B tests comes back positive and the endocrinological defense fails the ASO will strip Floyd of the win. Kinda hard to keep that out of the papers. Also, Dick Pound, stung by recent UCI criticism, surely would be screaming and yelling just like he is now.

    Now Pound and everyone else will have every right to scream and yell if this stands up but the whole process would have been alot smoother and a whole lot fairer if the UCI had followed their own confidentiality protocols.
    “Life is not one damned thing after another. Life is one damned thing over and over.”
    Edna St. Vincent Millay

  7. #7
    Senior Member Karlotta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JavaMan
    That's a cute answer, Karlotta, but not a serious one. It's natural to question the evidence that someone brings against you. I think the lab should be investigated.
    I think the rider whose samples indicate doping should be investigated first. If there is credible evidence that Landis' T/E ratio was produced by his own body and not a result of exogenous testosterone, then that implicates the TEST, not the lab. UCI itself made the announcement of the positive rider, creating the massive speculation as to who it was, not the lab, though there is some suspicion that the lab results we communicated to the Times of London... by whom, not known at this point. Phonak was actually the first to confirm that it was Landis. So, the Lab in this instance, has performed by the book.

    If the test is not a good one, it's UCI's fault for requiring it.

  8. #8
    meb
    meb is offline
    Senior Member meb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    arlington, VA
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlotta
    I think the rider whose samples indicate doping should be investigated first. If there is credible evidence that Landis' T/E ratio was produced by his own body and not a result of exogenous testosterone, then that implicates the TEST, not the lab. UCI itself made the announcement of the positive rider, creating the massive speculation as to who it was, not the lab, though there is some suspicion that the lab results we communicated to the Times of London... by whom, not known at this point. Phonak was actually the first to confirm that it was Landis. So, the Lab in this instance, has performed by the book.

    If the test is not a good one, it's UCI's fault for requiring it.
    The lab had previously got rid of an employee for leaking information. Maybe no leakers remained so UCI needed do it themselves.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •