Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-07, 02:12 PM   #1
RoboCheme
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Moraga, CA
Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio
Posts: 1,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Questions on some Tour strategy

So today, Rasmussen's dragging a Astana guy and a Caisse guy up the hill. The announcers mention that these guys are not going to help out because their leaders are back in the peleton. So, my questions are:

1. By following Rasmussen, are they causing him problems? I.e. are they slowing him down? For the same speed, do you use more energy (compared to soloing) if someone is drafting you?

2. Why aren't they back helping their leaders up the hill, like Kloeden did for Vino?

3. Why wasn't Contador helping Levi up the hill?

Thanks,
RoboCheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-07, 03:40 PM   #2
roadgator
raodmaster shaman
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: G-ville
Bikes:
Posts: 1,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. If they made it to the finish with him, they would jeopardize his chances of taking the yellow jersey and/or the stage win. Therefore its supposed to discourage him from continuing and giving out a "free ride". Luckily, he was strong enough to drop them both.

2. altering the strategic situation by getting into a break can be just as valuable as pacing right in front of your captain.

3. same as the other men with GC guys behind them, or he could have decided to ignore the radio and ride for himself.
roadgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-07, 03:45 PM   #3
dknight07
Slow as Hell
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Bikes:
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
3. because levi didn't need help. he explained that today's team assignment was for Popo and Contador to get into a break and for him to hang out and watch the other favorites. Considering that this is exactly what happened, I assume everyone is happy... well, except Contador after that untimely flat.
dknight07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-07, 07:08 PM   #4
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem
Posts: 29,160
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboCheme
So today, Rasmussen's dragging a Astana guy and a Caisse guy up the hill. The announcers mention that these guys are not going to help out because their leaders are back in the peleton. So, my questions are:

1. By following Rasmussen, are they causing him problems? I.e. are they slowing him down? For the same speed, do you use more energy (compared to soloing) if someone is drafting you?

2. Why aren't they back helping their leaders up the hill, like Kloeden did for Vino?

3. Why wasn't Contador helping Levi up the hill?

Thanks,
Eggs, baskets
merlinextraligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-07, 08:07 PM   #5
^*^BATMAN^*^
I get high on lactic acid
 
^*^BATMAN^*^'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Bikes: 2003 Cervelo P3/2003 Trek 2000/2005 Norco EXC 2.0ht
Posts: 725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The person getting drafted gets somewhere in the area of a 5-10% bennifit from having someone on his wheel. It is the same principle of the curved seattube paired with a disk(there is lessened air turbulance in the middle of the bike). So with the riders, the second rider is completing the aero profile, so the drage caused by the air curving around behind him is on the guy in the back, but due to the bennifit of not breaking that air, they are still getting about a 30-35% bennifit.
^*^BATMAN^*^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-07, 05:45 AM   #6
meb
Senior Member
 
meb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: arlington, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknight07
3. because levi didn't need help. he explained that today's team assignment was for Popo and Contador to get into a break and for him to hang out and watch the other favorites. Considering that this is exactly what happened, I assume everyone is happy... well, except Contador after that untimely flat.
Further, Levi also said he had two men helping and they wanted Contador to shake things up.
meb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-07, 07:35 PM   #7
RoboCheme
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Moraga, CA
Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio
Posts: 1,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^*^BATMAN^*^ View Post
The person getting drafted gets somewhere in the area of a 5-10% bennifit from having someone on his wheel. It is the same principle of the curved seattube paired with a disk(there is lessened air turbulance in the middle of the bike). So with the riders, the second rider is completing the aero profile, so the drage caused by the air curving around behind him is on the guy in the back, but due to the bennifit of not breaking that air, they are still getting about a 30-35% bennifit.
OK, if that's true (and I've hear that before), weren't the Astana and Caisse rider actually helping Rasmussen? Shouldn't they have let him go by himself, if all they cared about was the team?
RoboCheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-07, 09:01 PM   #8
ettsn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It was far more important to 'keep him honest' and not let him get a free break. They were banking on hanging his wheel and sniping him, which would've worked, had Rass not been strong enough to drop them.
ettsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:51 PM.