Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: And Sastre?

  1. #1
    fixed for the long haul 40 Cent's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    1975 Raleigh Professional, 1990 Cannondale 3.0 Touring bike
    Posts
    355
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    And Sastre?

    What are his chances? He climbed brilliantly last year. Fourth last year, will he podium this year?

  2. #2
    Seņor Member USAZorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    My Bikes
    1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1994 Trek 830 MTB, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead, Unicycle
    Posts
    13,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like his chances to end up on the podium, but I don't like his chances of winning.
    The search for inner peace continues...

  3. #3
    fixed for the long haul 40 Cent's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    1975 Raleigh Professional, 1990 Cannondale 3.0 Touring bike
    Posts
    355
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to agree, and I hazard a guess Valverde and Kloden will be with him, but we may not have heard the last of Evans and I hope we haven't heard the last of Mayo.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to see at least one CSC member on the podium, but here is what I really hope to see:

    Kloden, Levi, Moreau

    It's actually amazing how close most of the overall GC contenders are with one another. I think the first TT should help rearrange the overall classifications a bit more.

  5. #5
    fixed for the long haul 40 Cent's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    1975 Raleigh Professional, 1990 Cannondale 3.0 Touring bike
    Posts
    355
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The TT will definitely inject some reality in the race situation and then I think we'll be devoting less thread space to Rasmussen, and maybe a bit more to Vino. Vino's down right now but not as far down as Landis was after his bonk day (even though the evidence seems to show that comeback was in fact impossible too.)

  6. #6
    Senior Member reef58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    My Bikes
    Serotta Nove
    Posts
    1,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vino is toast.

    This is a strange and exciting tour. Any GC contender can crack on any day. It will probably happen in the 3 tough mountain stages to come, and the two time trials.

    If I could wish 1) Kloden, 2) Moreau, and 3) Levi

    Likely 1) Kloden, 2) Valverde, 3) Evans

    Richard

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gilbert AZ
    My Bikes
    Cervelo S5 SRAM Red -
    Posts
    1,322
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sastre will destroy the next mountain stages.

    Levi is a joke. the guy has been in difficulty every single moment of the tour. I heard he was put into difficulty on the rest day!!

    Valverde is a scumbag
    Moreau is strong even tho today was not good for him.
    KLoden is strong
    Evans was the most impressive to me. He is world class climber and TT'er.

    I would like to see.

    1.Vino
    2.Rogers
    3. O'grady

    but reality will probably be

    1. Valverde
    2.Evans
    3. Contrador

    Another thing to consider is that Sastre only lost about 30 secs in the opening time trial to Vino and Levi etc.. Mayo lost about 50 secs.. Also the time trial is technical not just flats so that will tip in the favor of pure climber type like.. Sastre
    Last edited by vic32amg; 07-17-07 at 08:06 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member erader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    silicon valley
    Posts
    1,774
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Randomus View Post
    I would love to see at least one CSC member on the podium, but here is what I really hope to see:

    Kloden, Levi, Moreau

    It's actually amazing how close most of the overall GC contenders are with one another. I think the first TT should help rearrange the overall classifications a bit more.
    you're from the bay area and you want to see kloden over levi ? kloden has talent but he's not a leader. if he were vino would have been riding for him instead of him losing time towing a perenial loser.

    well at least you aren't on the vino bandwagon....that guy had about as much a chance of winning the tour as abraham olano had becoming the "next miguel indurain" .

    ed rader

  9. #9
    Senior Member reef58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    My Bikes
    Serotta Nove
    Posts
    1,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kloden is a better all around rider than Levi. He is a better teammate than most, and now that he is the man he will lead just fine.

    Richard

  10. #10
    Senior Member reef58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    My Bikes
    Serotta Nove
    Posts
    1,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't consider Levi a joke. He is a little better than the average bear.

    Richard

    Quote Originally Posted by vic32amg View Post
    Sastre will destroy the next mountain stages.

    Levi is a joke. the guy has been in difficulty every single moment of the tour. I heard he was put into difficulty on the rest day!!

    Valverde is a scumbag
    Moreau is strong even tho today was not good for him.
    KLoden is strong
    Evans was the most impressive to me. He is world class climber and TT'er.

    I would like to see.

    1.Vino
    2.Rogers
    3. O'grady

    but reality will probably be

    1. Valverde
    2.Evans
    3. Contrador

    Another thing to consider is that Sastre only lost about 30 secs in the opening time trial to Vino and Levi etc.. Mayo lost about 50 secs.. Also the time trial is technical not just flats so that will tip in the favor of pure climber type like.. Sastre

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by erader View Post
    you're from the bay area and you want to see kloden over levi ? kloden has talent but he's not a leader. if he were vino would have been riding for him instead of him losing time towing a perenial loser.

    well at least you aren't on the vino bandwagon....that guy had about as much a chance of winning the tour as abraham olano had becoming the "next miguel indurain" .
    While I am a Bay Area resident I also like to consider myself a realist.

  12. #12
    Senior Member erader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    silicon valley
    Posts
    1,774
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Randomus View Post
    While I am a Bay Area resident I also like to consider myself a realist.
    so it's just a matter of positioning yourself on the correct bandwagon on the decisive break ?

    ed rader

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by erader View Post
    so it's just a matter of positioning yourself on the correct bandwagon on the decisive break ?
    I actually cheer for Levi in races like the Tour of California and Dauphine Libere, but not so much in the TdF. If I were on the slopes of any climbs, you can bet your arse I would be cheering for him.

  14. #14
    Senior Member erader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    silicon valley
    Posts
    1,774
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reef58 View Post
    Kloden is a better all around rider than Levi. He is a better teammate than most, and now that he is the man he will lead just fine.

    Richard
    so what are you saying?

    he'll win the TDF?

    how many times did you see a young lance armstrong fetching water bottles or towing some stiff who didn't have a dog's chance in hell of winning ?

    man i guess we are really getting desperate. too bad armand de las cuevas and tony rominger aren't riding because they would be gods !

    ed rader

  15. #15
    Senior Member reef58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    My Bikes
    Serotta Nove
    Posts
    1,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I don't recall saying Kloden was God, or divine, or any thing remotely similar. I guess I will make it simple.

    Kloden better than Levi
    Kloden good teamate
    Kloden good leader

    Richard

    Quote Originally Posted by erader View Post
    so what are you saying?

    he'll win the TDF?

    how many times did you see a young lance armstrong fetching water bottles or towing some stiff who didn't have a dog's chance in hell of winning ?

    man i guess we are really getting desperate. too bad armand de las cuevas and tony rominger aren't riding because they would be gods !

    ed rader

  16. #16
    Senior Member erader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    silicon valley
    Posts
    1,774
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Randomus View Post
    I actually cheer for Levi in races like the Tour of California and Dauphine Libere, but not so much in the TdF. If I were on the slopes of any climbs, you can bet your arse I would be cheering for him.
    i hear you. i cheered for him two years running !

    ed rader

    http://www.fototime.com/1B9A396A0063788/orig.jpg

    http://www.fototime.com/6F813F8A4A23620/orig.jpg

    http://www.fototime.com/42A00030BBE2F33/orig.jpg

  17. #17
    Cheers! 2wheeled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Woodinville
    My Bikes
    Scott Addict R15, Cadd 9
    Posts
    1,284
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reef58 View Post
    Vino is toast.

    This is a strange and exciting tour. Any GC contender can crack on any day. It will probably happen in the 3 tough mountain stages to come, and the two time trials.

    If I could wish 1) Kloden, 2) Moreau, and 3) Levi

    Likely 1) Kloden, 2) Valverde, 3) Evans

    Richard
    OP - There are too many good TT riders/climbers for Sastre to win.

    reef - I like your picks, except:1) Valverde, 2) Kloden, 3) Evans

  18. #18
    Senior Member reef58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    My Bikes
    Serotta Nove
    Posts
    1,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I just can't bring myself to put Valverde in 1st. Just don't like the guy, but you may be right. Kloden will smoke him during the TT though, unless his injuries come back to haunt him.

    Richard

    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheeled View Post
    OP - There are too many good TT riders/climbers for Sastre to win.

    reef - I like your picks, except:1) Valverde, 2) Kloden, 3) Evans

  19. #19
    Cheers! 2wheeled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Woodinville
    My Bikes
    Scott Addict R15, Cadd 9
    Posts
    1,284
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reef58 View Post
    Well I just can't bring myself to put Valverde in 1st. Just don't like the guy, but you may be right. Kloden will smoke him during the TT though, unless his injuries come back to haunt him.

    Richard

    I agree with you. I put valverde to win because he has a stronger killer instinct in the mountains, I think he will gain a little time over Kloden. Tha TT's are another story though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •