Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-07, 01:23 PM   #1
timmhaan
more ape than man
Thread Starter
 
timmhaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nyc
Bikes:
Posts: 8,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
David Millar - why is he making headlines?

seriously? i don't understand why whenever there is a scandal, we see an interview from Millar. Why is everyone so eager to hear what he has to say on the topic? this guy has serious credibility issues and i have to question why it seems he is the "go-to-guy" on all topics related to doping.

when the chicken sh*t started hitting the fan, the first person we heard from was Millar. now that the vino sh*t is hitting the fan, we also get to hear from Millar.
timmhaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-07, 01:25 PM   #2
Namenda
.
 
Namenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: "The Woo", MA
Bikes:
Posts: 4,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been wondering the same thing. Personally, I think Millar should be the last person to voice an opinion on the morality of others.
Namenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-07, 01:25 PM   #3
jibi
Left OZ now in Malaysia
 
jibi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia
Bikes: Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc
Posts: 826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Because he cries????

Like a crocodile maybe

and I'm a Brit

george
jibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-07, 01:27 PM   #4
Hornbiker
Senior Member
 
Hornbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Oregon
Bikes: Orbea Diva, Santa Cruz Blur
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe he's the only rider speaking up about it. Ironic, eh?
Hornbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-07, 01:30 PM   #5
skinny
Senior Member
 
skinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmhaan View Post
Why is everyone so eager to hear what he has to say on the topic?
Maybe 'cause he speaks English???
skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-07, 01:31 PM   #6
timmhaan
more ape than man
Thread Starter
 
timmhaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nyc
Bikes:
Posts: 8,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornbiker View Post
Maybe he's the only rider speaking up about it. Ironic, eh?
that's not true. a lot of riders have spoken out, they just don't have the limelight like millar does.

i'm not opposed to him speaking his opinion, that doesn't bother me. it's just these pointless articles with headlines like "Millar Speaks Out on Vino Doping Case", or "Millar says that Ras is Ruining the Tour", etc. Does he deserve so much attention?
timmhaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-07, 01:33 PM   #7
Hornbiker
Senior Member
 
Hornbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Oregon
Bikes: Orbea Diva, Santa Cruz Blur
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmhaan View Post
that's not true. a lot of riders have spoken out, they just don't have the limelight like millar does.
Who are they, and where have you seen this information? I'd like to see what other riders are thinking, but everywhere I go, it's all Millar all the time.
Hornbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-07, 01:38 PM   #8
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side
 
CyLowe97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago(ish)
Bikes:
Posts: 6,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's nice that at least one rider speaks out and doesn't seem afraid of recriminations from the rest of the peloton.

Look at what a whiner Simoni was made out to be for calling Basso's Giro performance extraterrestrial. Look at anyone like Frankie Andreu who comes out regarding doping on the USPS team back in 1999 or testifying regarding Armstrong. That kind of public statement, whether in the press or under oath, gets riders the cold shoulder. Millar apparently doesn't care about cold shoulders, which is refreshing.

Yeah, Millar doped, but he copped to it and did his time w/o excuses. That should earn some respect right there.

What's interesting to me is the lack of opinion on the matter from Armstrong. If anyone could bully-pulpit this topic in pro cycling, it's Lance. However he's curiously absent from these discussions because he's so involved with his foundation. Hmmm......
CyLowe97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-07, 01:41 PM   #9
skinny
Senior Member
 
skinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyLowe97 View Post
... Lance. However he's curiously absent from these discussions because he's so involved with his foundation. Hmmm......
...don't forget his kids.
skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-07, 01:41 PM   #10
timmhaan
more ape than man
Thread Starter
 
timmhaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nyc
Bikes:
Posts: 8,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornbiker View Post
Who are they, and where have you seen this information? I'd like to see what other riders are thinking, but everywhere I go, it's all Millar all the time.
i know that Bradley McGee, Thor Hushovd, Bradley Wiggins, and Mark Cavendish have all spoken out before. i'm sure there are others that would if someone took the time to see what they had to say.
timmhaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-07, 01:43 PM   #11
Namenda
.
 
Namenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: "The Woo", MA
Bikes:
Posts: 4,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmhaan View Post
i know that Bradley McGee, Thor Hushovd, Bradley Wiggins, and Mark Cavendish have all spoken out before. i'm sure there are others that would if someone took the time to see what they had to say.
I bet Lemond would love to have a mic in his face right now.
Namenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-07, 01:43 PM   #12
gfrance
Senior Member
 
gfrance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New York City
Bikes:
Posts: 1,757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think Millar just happened to be the guy in front of the mike when the story broke. He was in the middle of a team press conference and spoke his mind off the cuff.
gfrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-07, 01:53 PM   #13
timmhaan
more ape than man
Thread Starter
 
timmhaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nyc
Bikes:
Posts: 8,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyLowe97 View Post

What's interesting to me is the lack of opinion on the matter from Armstrong. If anyone could bully-pulpit this topic in pro cycling, it's Lance. However he's curiously absent from these discussions because he's so involved with his foundation. Hmmm......
lance and the lance corporation have a huge reputation to maintain. he would gain nothing by getting further into the mess than he has already.
timmhaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-07, 01:57 PM   #14
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side
 
CyLowe97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago(ish)
Bikes:
Posts: 6,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmhaan View Post
lance and the lance corporation have a huge reputation to maintain. he would gain nothing by getting further into the mess than he has already.
Well, then. Millar has nothing to lose by speaking his mind in quite a loud volume, does he?

As much as I want to respect Lance and his "I'm the most tested athlete ever" attitude, he doesn't back it up by speaking his mind when I believe his voice could do a lot of good. In my opinion, it's because he's got something to hide. And therein lies your statement above about the reputation of LA and LAF.

I just wish Lance wasn't such a corporate robot.
CyLowe97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-07, 02:09 PM   #15
superdex
staring at the mountains
 
superdex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Parker, CO
Bikes: 1x9 mtb commuter, Javelin Boca
Posts: 3,736
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfrance View Post
I think Millar just happened to be the guy in front of the mike when the story broke. He was in the middle of a team press conference and spoke his mind off the cuff.
that, and he give good quotes, no diplomatic BS
superdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-07, 02:10 PM   #16
timmhaan
more ape than man
Thread Starter
 
timmhaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nyc
Bikes:
Posts: 8,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyLowe97 View Post
Well, then. Millar has nothing to lose by speaking his mind in quite a loud volume, does he?

As much as I want to respect Lance and his "I'm the most tested athlete ever" attitude, he doesn't back it up by speaking his mind when I believe his voice could do a lot of good. In my opinion, it's because he's got something to hide. And therein lies your statement above about the reputation of LA and LAF.

I just wish Lance wasn't such a corporate robot.
yeah, i agree that millar has much less, if anything, to lose by speaking his mind. and clearly the press is lapping it up.

I'm not sure armstrong's voice would do much good. i mean, he has been through so much with David Walshes book's, multiple lawsuits, and a public witchunt of sorts. there is a huge sector of people who would never believe anything he said anyway. after a decade of dodging doping allegations, i wouldn't have the desire to take on this fight either.
timmhaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-07, 02:11 PM   #17
same time
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Washington DC
Bikes:
Posts: 962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In this case, Millar just happened to be in the middle of a statement at a press conference when the news broke. He gave his gut reaction out loud, which is news.

In other cases, it's because he speaks English, and is well-spoken. He used to write a diary-style column in ProCycling, and lots of British, US, and Australian journalists know him. It's not that he's the best person to interview, but he's become one of the easiest (for the english speaking press).

David Moncoutie has always been outspoken about drugs in cycling, but he gets very little English-speaking press because he speaks French. Other than Moncoutie, if you're looking for a clean rider with a clean past to comment on doping, well, you're just going to have to settle for the likes of Millar.
same time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-07, 02:12 PM   #18
Devil
Since Ever Since
 
Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,575
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can see a vid of MIllar being interviewed about this here: http://www.velonews.com/vntv/

He sounds pretty pissed.
Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-07, 09:35 AM   #19
aham23
grilled cheesus
 
aham23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 8675309
Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport
Posts: 6,946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i found this very interesting. velonews had vaughters on their tdf cast this morning. they asked him various questions, including this one.

That raises the next question... he's gone through a two year suspension for EPO. Why regard him as a moral authority for clean sport?

Vaughters: Well, the first thing to realize about Dave is that he could have fought and won his case. There was one expired vial of EPO found in his home. He never tested positive and the evidence was minimal. However, when asked the question, he told the truth. He took his lumps. We all knew that Dave was a massively talented rider that didnt dope for most of his victories. The pressure of sponsor obligations and performance pressure to live up to being "the next big thing" finaly got to him.

Anyhow, Dave told the truth and now he's back and doing well, the correct way. He never used the "I've been tested 1000 times and never tested psoitive" BS... He just told the truth. That's why I love Dave.
__________________
aham23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-07, 09:41 AM   #20
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side
 
CyLowe97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago(ish)
Bikes:
Posts: 6,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aham23 View Post
He never used the "I've been tested 1000 times and never tested psoitive" BS...
Who would use that for an alibi???
CyLowe97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-07, 09:45 AM   #21
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Bikes:
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmhaan View Post
seriously? i don't understand why whenever there is a scandal, we see an interview from Millar. Why is everyone so eager to hear what he has to say on the topic? this guy has serious credibility issues and i have to question why it seems he is the "go-to-guy" on all topics related to doping.

when the chicken sh*t started hitting the fan, the first person we heard from was Millar. now that the vino sh*t is hitting the fan, we also get to hear from Millar.
because he's a sanctimonious twit and self-appointed peloton doping policeman. he better never get caught again .

ed rader
erader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-07, 09:54 AM   #22
adam
Senior Member
 
adam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto area
Bikes: Cervelo, Pinarello, Specialized
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny View Post
Maybe 'cause he speaks English???
+1.

From the Velonews, Cyclingnews, etc. where we get our cycling news from, they are not going to try and get quotes from every French, German, Spanish rider where words can be taken out of context, mis-translated, etc.

Very easy to go to the stable of English speaking riders and get their opinions.
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-07, 09:56 AM   #23
adam
Senior Member
 
adam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto area
Bikes: Cervelo, Pinarello, Specialized
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aham23 View Post
i found this very interesting. velonews had vaughters on their tdf cast this morning. they asked him various questions, including this one.

That raises the next question... he's gone through a two year suspension for EPO. Why regard him as a moral authority for clean sport?

Vaughters: Well, the first thing to realize about Dave is that he could have fought and won his case. There was one expired vial of EPO found in his home. He never tested positive and the evidence was minimal. However, when asked the question, he told the truth. He took his lumps. We all knew that Dave was a massively talented rider that didnt dope for most of his victories. The pressure of sponsor obligations and performance pressure to live up to being "the next big thing" finaly got to him.

Anyhow, Dave told the truth and now he's back and doing well, the correct way. He never used the "I've been tested 1000 times and never tested psoitive" BS... He just told the truth. That's why I love Dave.
Will be interesting if Slipstream is signing Millar as has been rumoured.
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-07, 10:01 AM   #24
aham23
grilled cheesus
 
aham23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 8675309
Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport
Posts: 6,946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyLowe97 View Post
Who would use that for an alibi???
alibi or fact? i mean, isnt it true?

on another note, besides speaking english, i think millar says things that are worth quoting. that sell papers and so on. later.
__________________
aham23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-07, 10:02 AM   #25
Gee3
Senior Moment Member
 
Gee3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Daly City, CA
Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite Double & 2008 Look 555
Posts: 1,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmhaan View Post
that's not true. a lot of riders have spoken out, they just don't have the limelight like millar does.

i'm not opposed to him speaking his opinion, that doesn't bother me. it's just these pointless articles with headlines like "Millar Speaks Out on Vino Doping Case", or "Millar says that Ras is Ruining the Tour", etc. Does he deserve so much attention?
'Cuz he's the expert in doping... so why not go to the man that knows all about it. Plus, he hasn't been able to keep his promise to win a stage or make some waves in the race so why not do it in another way?

I'm kind of on the fence about him though. I think he should voice his opinion but the press is the one making him out like a savior to the sport. So you can't really blame him for all the coverage.

As for Lance... he's not racing anymore so who cares what he thinks. His words won't have any effect on the Tour riders. But people still want to take pot shots at him because of previous accusations of his training practices. Leave the man alone. It's over. Stop chasing ghosts.
Gee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:50 AM.