Thought that I would post this and see what others think. I personally think that taking away the radios would be great. Let the teams battle it out on the road without managers and strategists yammering at them the entire time. Always seemed rediculous to me to have a coach telling them what to do the entire race.
Force the team captains to make the calls on their bikes as the race develops and the following would probably happen:
- Breaks would not get caught with nearly today's frequency (no computers and GPS in team cars)
- More favorites would be able to sneak into breaks
- More riders would have to drop back to the cars to talk to managers (favorites would not just sit-in the entire race)
- Less team-to-team deals during the stage (pull in the break for us today and we'll let you into a break tomorrow)
- More rider-to-rider deals during the stage (enter the rotation for me, and I'll give you $10K if I win)
- More racers would hit the wall during the stages, especially climbs
Unfortuantely, there would also likely be more crashes as team cars couldn't warn the racers about every obstacle that they may encounter up ahead.