Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 60
  1. #1
    Senior Member LittleSally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Manuel Beltran tested positive after Saturday's stage


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maupin, OR
    My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Posts
    532
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is on my Kenda team.

  3. #3
    Senior Member rankin116's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Troylet
    Posts
    3,756
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/tdf200...ory?id=3483087

    Read that one. I don't trust the testing. It doesn't seem reliable to me, from what I've read.

  4. #4
    Up on the Down Side CyLowe97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Chicago(ish)
    Posts
    6,327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, another former Postal Tour rider gets nabbed.

    Who's turn is it next? Popo?

  5. #5
    BMC Lover
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,307
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CyLowe97 View Post
    Hey, another former Postal Tour rider gets nabbed.

    Who's turn is it next? Popo?
    Lance?

    I kid, I kid!....sorta.

  6. #6
    Dog is my copilot. GGDub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Bikes
    Lemond Maillot Jaune, Specialized Stumpjumper, Kona Jake the Snake, Single-Speed Rigid Rocky Mtn Equipe, Soon-to-be fixed Bianchi Brava
    Posts
    802
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rankin116 View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/tdf200...ory?id=3483087

    Read that one. I don't trust the testing. It doesn't seem reliable to me, from what I've read.
    It depends on whether it was detected in his blood or urine.

    http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/...-EPO-Study.php

    The urine test is the one that may not be reliable, and its important to note, that its mainly not reliable in detecting EPO when its known to be there.

    The blood test is a different story.
    Rubber Side Down

  7. #7
    Senior Member hoodooguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    williamsburg, va
    Posts
    280
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay who had stage 7 in the pool?

  8. #8
    Professional Fuss-Budget Bacciagalupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6,384
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The EPO tests require a lot of interpretation; also, since EPO is now available as a generic, there are lots of variants out there. However, false negatives are a much bigger concern - and apparently more common - than false positives.

    Beltran may well be innocent; as hard as it may be, hopefully everyone (including ASO) will wait for the "B" test until making a judgment, particularly if it involves bouncing the whole team.

  9. #9
    Descends Like Avalanche HigherGround's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Somewhere between Funkytown and Margaritaville, PA
    My Bikes
    Lynskey R330, Litespeed Classic, Eddy Merckx MX Leader, Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)
    Posts
    5,756
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GGDub View Post
    It depends on whether it was detected in his blood or urine.

    http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/...-EPO-Study.php

    The urine test is the one that may not be reliable, and its important to note, that its mainly not reliable in detecting EPO when its known to be there.

    The blood test is a different story.
    According to Velo News, it appears that the urine test was used.
    The rider in my avatar is David Etxebarria, not me.

  10. #10
    Senior Member hos13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    552 LATA
    My Bikes
    2007 Mercier Sperns (I'm a shill) and a 99 Diamondback Invert
    Posts
    778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CyLowe97 View Post
    Hey, another former Postal Tour rider gets nabbed.

    Who's turn is it next? Popo?
    Gives "Going Postal" a new meaning.

  11. #11
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this point, if you get caught doping you're just an idiot.
    Austin doesn't have hippies. They have slightly rebellious Methodists. - Racer Ex

  12. #12
    How much does it weigh? prendrefeu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Weight Weenie on a budget.
    My Bikes
    Lotus Fixed, Bianchi Virata 2004
    Posts
    3,427
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CyLowe97 View Post
    Hey, another former Postal Tour rider gets nabbed.

    Who's turn is it next? Popo?
    Quote Originally Posted by FixdGearHead View Post
    Lance?

    I kid, I kid!....sorta.
    Shhhh... you might awake his lawyers!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
    At this point, if you get caught doping you're just an idiot.
    or on Astana, former Postal, or former Discovery...

    Quote Originally Posted by hos13 View Post
    Gives "Going Postal" a new meaning.
    Nice one
    Weight weenies keep it light.

    Director of the Midnight Express Ride; Board of Directors, Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition.

  13. #13
    Ride for Life wearyourtruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    2,729
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
    At this point, if you get caught doping you're just an idiot.
    i agree. if you can't not dope by now, it's time to retire.
    before posting, a "noob" should always ask themselves "could this have been answered by first visiting Sheldon Brown

    -Tim-
    www.velocipedebikeproject.org

  14. #14
    Senior Member embankmentlb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North, Ga.
    My Bikes
    Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's
    Posts
    1,683
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet another one of Armstrong's boys. Add Beltran's name to the rest. Hamilton, Landis, Haras , ??????

  15. #15
    Elitist Jackass Smoothie104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Georgia
    My Bikes
    Cannondale 2.8, Specialized S-works E5 road, GT Talera
    Posts
    3,263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beltran had very high Hct Values just prior to the start of the tour, so he was singled out for extra testing, and bingo!! liquigas is serious about racing clean, that why they hired ivan basso a few months ago


    I was at work today, thinking " i wonder when the dope scandals will start?" and was going to post a thread to that... the french testers beat me to it... I have been out of the loop for a while but what i gather is that the UCI is not doing the testing, the french anti doping people are, correct? That will be beltrans and liquigas first excuse.. that the french have a vendetta against the spanish/italian etc... then they will say that the uci tests were better etc.. hahahaaa!!

    or maybe the Frenchies decided to start tossing guys out so they look like they are tough on dope, but no frenchies will be tested.. slick kinda what the belgians did several years ago on a TdF stage that finished in Antwerp. at the last minute the testing was done by flemish labs, and no belgians were tested that day, not even the Belgian Stage Winner Mark Wauters, who also took the Jersey that day.... hmmmm.....
    Last edited by Smoothie104; 07-11-08 at 07:47 PM.
    "You should already be aware that riding with people who steer with their elbows, stick food to the top tube of their frames and ride around in dick togs is not a great idea." -- Classic1

  16. #16
    Senior Member gapowermike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    McDonough, Georgia
    My Bikes
    Trek 1000 & 4100 & 5500
    Posts
    860
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie104 View Post
    Beltran had very high Hct Values just prior to the start of the tour, so he was singled out for extra testing, and bingo!! liquigas is serious about racing clean, that why they hired ivan basso a few months ago


    I was at work today, thinking " i wonder when the dope scandals will start?" and was going to post a thread to that... the french testers beat me to it... I have been out of the loop for a while but what i gather is that the UCI is not doing the testing, the french anti doping people are, correct? That will be beltrans and liquigas first excuse.. that the french have a vendetta against the spanish/italian etc... then they will say that the uci tests were better etc.. hahahaaa!!
    Excellent point. Welcome back by the way. The Tour forum could use a junkie.

    Michael
    RIP Stacey. =3.

  17. #17
    Since Ever Since Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,574
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course Liquigas is serious about the fight against doping -- they're a cycling team.

  18. #18
    rog
    rog is offline
    militant buddhist rog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Old Bridge, NJ
    My Bikes
    '08 Scott CR-1 Pro, '02 Jamis Nova
    Posts
    1,609
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
    At this point, if you are doping you're just an idiot.
    Fixed.
    -r

  19. #19
    lettin' my freak flag fly otismedina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Saint Paul
    My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Allez Elite Triple
    Posts
    635
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't teams understand that if they dope, sponsors will pull out? It's pretty simple.

  20. #20
    Edificating dmotoguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    boise idaho
    My Bikes
    2005 Specialized Tarmac Comp, Steyr Clubman, Motobecane Phantom Cross Uno, Cannondale Caad9, IRO bffgss
    Posts
    2,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    teams do understand that, but riders understand if they dont dope they will lose their job if they cant get results naturally.
    Ultimate Cat -o- Meter
    X-x0x-x-X - 40%

  21. #21
    Shoebomber Dick Rhee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    2008 Canyon CF Pro w/ Chorus, 2005 Moots Vamoots w/ Ultegra, 1988 Cannondale commuter
    Posts
    1,071
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may be in the minority but I was a little dissapointed to read on cyclingnews that Liquigas is going to stay in the tour, considering that Astana and Confidis getting the boot last year. It's always on the rider, but not the management. Liquigas seems to be in the doping spotlight more often recently, with the Di Luca issues last year, then they signed Basso and left the AIGCP a couple of months back, and now Beltran.

    Sure, the anti doping mantra gets a little old after a while, but it's better than headlines like this, right?

  22. #22
    Senior Member Surferbruce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Aveyron France
    Posts
    5,308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he IS tricky, no?
    I for one would love to see everyones hematocrit level at the start of the tour. how many 50%ers do you think?

  23. #23
    Je pose, donc je suis.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Back. Here.
    Posts
    2,898
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From cyclingnews.com:

    "While reports initially stated that should Beltrán's B sample come back positive, the team would be forced to withdraw from the race, the German television station ZDF received confirmation from the Amaury Sport Organistion (ASO) that the team could remain in the race.

    "The station also reported that the team will escape the 100,000 euro penalty which was part of the ASO's anti-doping contract signed by all teams prior to the Tour, because they removed Beltrán immediately after the positive A-sample.

    While I'm not nearly as critical of the testing and the French labs, this bothers me. While I realize false positives are rare, they can happen. But if a team has a rider with a positive A, it's quite clear that they do not have time to wait around for the B sample to be tested.

  24. #24
    meb
    meb is offline
    Senior Member meb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    arlington, VA
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HigherGround View Post
    According to Velo News, it appears that the urine test was used.
    It doesn't specify which test Beltran failed-it states he was one of the group of riders that urine tests were taken from Saturday. The earlier article stated ALL 180 riders were given a blood test that day. Beltran may have failed either or both.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Physically, CT / Mentally, San Francisco
    My Bikes
    BMC Team Machine, BMC Road Racer, BMC Streetfire, BMC AlpenChallenge
    Posts
    207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Rhee View Post
    I may be in the minority but I was a little dissapointed to read on cyclingnews that Liquigas is going to stay in the tour, considering that Astana and Confidis getting the boot last year. It's always on the rider, but not the management. Liquigas seems to be in the doping spotlight more often recently, with the Di Luca issues last year, then they signed Basso and left the AIGCP a couple of months back, and now Beltran.

    Sure, the anti doping mantra gets a little old after a while, but it's better than headlines like this, right?
    What I don't get is why Astana was singled out for the non-invite to the tour. In my view, if the tour is serious about fighting doping, they should have non-invited Confidis and Rabbobank as well as Astana.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •