Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Black and white american flags

    Does anyone know why you see all those blacek and white american flags along the roads on the tour is it a protest?

  2. #2
    Dumb@s$ Jarhead mrt10x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park CO
    My Bikes
    Calfee Dragon Fly Pro 1984 Pinarello Montello
    Posts
    1,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you need a new TV
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

  3. #3
    A little North of Hell
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,394
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XXXI

  4. #4
    Elitist Jackass Smoothie104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Georgia
    My Bikes
    Cannondale 2.8, Specialized S-works E5 road, GT Talera
    Posts
    3,263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every Year!!!!!
    "You should already be aware that riding with people who steer with their elbows, stick food to the top tube of their frames and ride around in dick togs is not a great idea." -- Classic1

  5. #5
    Cycler Suzie Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
    you need a new TV
    Post of the week!

  6. #6
    Lance Hater Laggard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    4,316
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And why is Vino wearing that funny jersey?
    i may have overreacted

  7. #7
    -m- ('.') -m- DiSrUpToR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they turned our stars into pine trees, the *******s !!!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Surferbruce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Aveyron France
    Posts
    5,308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vive le breton!

  9. #9
    Senior Member zonatandem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Posts
    10,065
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is the flag of Brittany (a region in France).
    Just like you see lots of yellow flags with a black lion . . . flag of West Flanders (a real hotbed for cycling in Belgium).

  10. #10
    meb
    meb is offline
    Senior Member meb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    arlington, VA
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
    It is the flag of Brittany (a region in France).
    Just like you see lots of yellow flags with a black lion . . . flag of West Flanders (a real hotbed for cycling in Belgium).
    Does it look like a white flag with a black lion on a black and white set?

  11. #11
    Cheers! 2wheeled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Woodinville
    My Bikes
    Scott Addict R15, Cadd 9
    Posts
    1,284
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marmail View Post
    Does anyone know why you see all those blacek and white american flags along the roads on the tour is it a protest?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
    you need a new TV
    This thread gets my vote for the best first two posts of the TDF forum

  12. #12
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Smart ass

    Thanks it just looks like a black and white American Flag I don't know enough about France to know their cowardly regions and yeah I miss spelled Black so as a argant American F ya all

  13. #13
    Descends Like Avalanche HigherGround's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Somewhere between Funkytown and Margaritaville, PA
    My Bikes
    Lynskey R330, Litespeed Classic, Eddy Merckx MX Leader, Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)
    Posts
    5,743
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marmail View Post
    Thanks it just looks like a black and white American Flag I don't know enough about France to know their cowardly regions and yeah I miss spelled Black so as a argant American F ya all
    Hint #1: "misspelled"

    Hint #2: Lighten up.
    The rider in my avatar is David Etxebarria, not me.

  14. #14
    Cycler Suzie Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HigherGround View Post
    Hint #1: "misspelled"

    Hint #2: Lighten up.







  15. #15
    bike fandango Brian_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    186
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually a black & white stars and stripes is pretty sharp sarcasm considering the black & white, "with us or against us" Bush/Cheney mindset. And while..

    I myself don't care for displays of nationalism or protest in sports, that's just life. Anyway, as an aside, the Olympics is as much about the gambling odds and the marketing as it is about the spirit of competition.

    Yeah, I'm jaded.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,461
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    another absolutely ******** thread in the TdF forum. go figure.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    SW FL
    My Bikes
    1980 Motobacane Team Champion 2008 Gary Fisher Hi Fi 2009 Madone 6.9
    Posts
    422
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will the converter work on a BW TV when the signal goes digital or is it racial?

  18. #18
    Red light runner Gonzlobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Albuquerque
    My Bikes
    Seven Sola
    Posts
    226
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And in case any one asks... the Isle of Man's flag shows three legs running in a circle. I'm sure with Cavendish surging as of late, there will be lots of hometown flags waving him on.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Out there, on my bike
    Posts
    5,420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of jumping all over the guy, why not take the opportunity to educate him (and a few others here...)

    Gwen ha du is the name of the flag. It is brezoneg (breton in breton) for black and white. Brittany has it's own language and culture that predates the French influence that started in earnest when Anne of Brittany married King Charles VII of France in 1491, bringing all of Brittany under the rule of France. Breton was still spoken in Brittany, though, for hundreds of years, and you can still hear it if you listen. All the road signs in Brittany are in both Breton and French, much like in Ireland where the signs are in Irish Gaelic and English.

    After WWII, even the remote parts of Brittany became French speaking, and Breton was discouraged or forbidden, not taught in schools, and generally considered backwards. That meant that a generation whose parents spoke Breton did not learn the language. When you skip generations in language, the language is typically on it's way to a certain death.

    Culturally, Brittany is Celtic. There are menhirs and dolmens (prehistoric standing stones) all over the place that predate the Celts. The Breton language is closely tied to the now-extinct Cornish that was spoken in southwestern England. The Cornish were pushed out of Cornwall by invasions of England (Angles and Saxons and the like) way back. They probably landed in Brittany. King Arthur and Merlin and the gang are thought to have spent considerable time in Brittany.

    In the past 30 years or so, Breton-only schools have been established all over Brittany (Diwan), so that the children are learning the language even though their parents don't speak it very well. Breton music is Celtic, with the Binou being the Breton bagpipe. It's a beautiful culture and landscape, and some of the best cycling in the world.

    I hope you get to go sometime and see for yourselves.

    Kenavo.
    Last edited by tulip; 07-13-08 at 01:30 PM.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Surferbruce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Aveyron France
    Posts
    5,308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Occitan flag is the coolest.

  21. #21
    bike fandango Brian_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    186
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Instead of jumping all over the guy, why not take the opportunity to educate him (and a few others here...)

    Gwen ha du is the name of the flag. It is brezoneg (breton in breton) for black and white. Brittany has it's own language and culture that predates the French influence that started in earnest when Anne of Brittany married King Charles VII of France in 1491, bringing all of Brittany under the rule of France. Breton was still spoken in Brittany, though, for hundreds of years, and you can still hear it if you listen. All the road signs in Brittany are in both Breton and French, much like in Ireland where the signs are in Irish Gaelic and English.

    After WWII, even the remote parts of Brittany became French speaking, and Breton was discouraged or forbidden, not taught in schools, and generally considered backwards. That meant that a generation whose parents spoke Breton did not learn the language. When you skip generations in language, the language is typically on it's way to a certain death.

    Culturally, Brittany is Celtic. There are menhirs and dolmens (prehistoric standing stones) all over the place that predate the Celts. The Breton language is closely tied to the now-extinct Cornish that was spoken in southwestern England. The Cornish were pushed out of Cornwall by invasions of England (Angles and Saxons and the like) way back. They probably landed in Brittany. King Arthur and Merlin and the gang are thought to have spent considerable time in Brittany.

    In the past 30 years or so, Breton-only schools have been established all over Brittany (Diwan), so that the children are learning the language even though their parents don't speak it very well. Breton music is Celtic, with the Binou being the Breton bagpipe. It's a beautiful culture and landscape, and some of the best cycling in the world.

    I hope you get to go sometime and see for yourselves.

    Kenavo.
    Thanks for the history lesson, but what about the confused American with visions of wood nymphs, damsels in distress, Guinness ale, Led Zeppelin, Braveheart, Tolkien, and the The Once and Future King?
    Last edited by Brian_1; 07-14-08 at 11:48 AM.

  22. #22
    Double Prick marin1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canadian version of Texas
    My Bikes
    Cervelo Carbon Soloist, Cervelo Aluminum Soloist, Cannondale cyclecross
    Posts
    561
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Instead of jumping all over the guy, why not take the opportunity to educate him (and a few others here...)

    Gwen ha du is the name of the flag. It is brezoneg (breton in breton) for black and white. Brittany has it's own language and culture that predates the French influence that started in earnest when Anne of Brittany married King Charles VII of France in 1491, bringing all of Brittany under the rule of France. Breton was still spoken in Brittany, though, for hundreds of years, and you can still hear it if you listen. All the road signs in Brittany are in both Breton and French, much like in Ireland where the signs are in Irish Gaelic and English.

    After WWII, even the remote parts of Brittany became French speaking, and Breton was discouraged or forbidden, not taught in schools, and generally considered backwards. That meant that a generation whose parents spoke Breton did not learn the language. When you skip generations in language, the language is typically on it's way to a certain death.

    Culturally, Brittany is Celtic. There are menhirs and dolmens (prehistoric standing stones) all over the place that predate the Celts. The Breton language is closely tied to the now-extinct Cornish that was spoken in southwestern England. The Cornish were pushed out of Cornwall by invasions of England (Angles and Saxons and the like) way back. They probably landed in Brittany. King Arthur and Merlin and the gang are thought to have spent considerable time in Brittany.

    In the past 30 years or so, Breton-only schools have been established all over Brittany (Diwan), so that the children are learning the language even though their parents don't speak it very well. Breton music is Celtic, with the Binou being the Breton bagpipe. It's a beautiful culture and landscape, and some of the best cycling in the world.

    I hope you get to go sometime and see for yourselves.

    Kenavo.
    Didn't you see his second post, I think he may refuse your offer of education.
    21st Century Living - Matthew Good

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Out there, on my bike
    Posts
    5,420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marin1 View Post
    Didn't you see his second post, I think he may refuse your offer of education.
    It wasn't just for him...

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    417
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marin1 View Post
    Didn't you see his second post, I think he may refuse your offer of education.
    People were being pissy about it and he was pissy back. I wouldn't expect someone from Europe to be able to recongize regional flags from North America. Would someone from Saskatchewan even be able to recognize their own flag?

    At least the Breton flag is immediately recognizable. Some French regional flags involve count-the-lions guessing games.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Out there, on my bike
    Posts
    5,420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_1 View Post
    Thanks for the history lesson, but what about the confused American with visions of wood nymphs, damsels in distress, Guinness ale, Led Zeppelin, Braveheart, Tolkien, and the The Once and Future King?
    Led Zepplin is all about Wales, which is very close to Brittany culture-wise. Brittany also has wood nymphs, damsels in distress, and the Once and Future King, as well as wind-swept moors and mysterious misty forests. Instead of Guinness they have really awesome very hard cider. Instead of Braveheart, they have Guihmarc'h. The Mabingion is a collection of Breton tales and myths. I visited the purported grave of Merlin near Josselin, as well as a fountain of youth (but there were vipers, so I didn't actually take a sip).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •