Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Professional Cycling For the Fans (http://www.bikeforums.net/professional-cycling-fans/)
-   -   So, What's Up with Valverde? (http://www.bikeforums.net/professional-cycling-fans/443528-so-whats-up-valverde.html)

smoke 07-20-08 10:03 AM

So, What's Up with Valverde?
 
ya know, i no longer think he's a grand tour contender. i think he's like karpets - a great one-week or maybe two-week stage racer, but just can't do it for three full weeks. obviously he's a great classics rider. he just doesn't seem to be consistently strong enough to last all three weeks. he does great in italy, but comes apart at hautacam and the time trial. i don't know - good enough to be top ten at the tour, but i no longer think he'll ever be able to win it

skinny 07-20-08 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoke (Post 7096960)
ya know, i no longer think he's a grand tour contender. i think he's like karpets - a great one-week or maybe two-week stage racer, but just can't do it for three full weeks. obviously he's a great classics rider. he just doesn't seem to be consistently strong enough to last all three weeks. he does great in italy, but comes apart at hautacam and the time trial. i don't know - good enough to be top ten at the tour, but i no longer think he'll ever be able to win it

he's finished 2,3, anf 4th in the vuelta. he's a contender. the tdf is the toughest. it takes some riders who can win other tours a lifetime to win the tdf. some never do.

Miguelangel 07-20-08 11:43 AM

There was some discussion regarding one of the commentators of the tour in Spain that said from the beggining that the media had place him as a contender and he disagreed. He kept saying Valverde while a great rider, Spain champion did not have the stamina to take the whole tour at the top. I believe somehow he losses his concentration in some stages and that porves his achilles heal. I still think he will finish top 8 in this tour

cooker 07-20-08 11:59 AM

Remember he was injured early on (so was Evans) and maybe he is still recovering.

rocoach 07-20-08 08:35 PM

Non-doping is making most of them into mere mortals this year.

smoke 07-21-08 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skinny (Post 7096993)
he's finished 2,3, anf 4th in the vuelta. he's a contender. the tdf is the toughest. it takes some riders who can win other tours a lifetime to win the tdf. some never do.

yeah, but those aren't wins. and the tour is harder

smoke 07-21-08 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miguelangel (Post 7097351)
There was some discussion regarding one of the commentators of the tour in Spain that said from the beggining that the media had place him as a contender and he disagreed. He kept saying Valverde while a great rider, Spain champion did not have the stamina to take the whole tour at the top. I believe somehow he losses his concentration in some stages and that porves his achilles heal. I still think he will finish top 8 in this tour

i'm starting to agree with this. i don't know what the reason is, but he won't win the tour. i also think he'll finish top 8. heck, that makes him better that 90% of the best riders on earth. i'm not saying that's bad; i think it's amazing. i just don't see him winning the tour now, or ever

wfrogge 07-21-08 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocoach (Post 7099935)
Non-doping is making most of them into mere mortals this year.

There all still juiced.

CyLowe97 07-21-08 08:55 AM

Valverde will win the Vuelta someday.

Bikeforums.net will still wonder when he'll win a Grand Tour.

merlinextraligh 07-21-08 10:04 AM

I said at the end of Stage 1 that Valverde himself didn't think he could win this year's TDF. Apparently he was correct.

sagginwagin 07-21-08 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocoach (Post 7099935)
Non-doping is making most of them into mere mortals this year.

Yeah that explains is horrendous performances at the Dauphine and LBL. He should just give it up after such a disappointing year. That Tour stage win and 2nd place really will make his sponsors think twice about renewing his contract.

cjbruin 07-21-08 02:26 PM

He still has a few years left.

drmarthacastro 07-21-08 02:34 PM

LOL, it would be a miracle if he can even finish the Tour De France. I love the way he looks on his beautiful bike this year though. He almost looks like a Greek God!

cooker 07-21-08 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmarthacastro (Post 7104791)
He almost looks like a Greek God!

Damn! I noticed he was good looking, and now you've made me feel weird about it!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:43 AM.