Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Professional Cycling For the Fans (http://www.bikeforums.net/professional-cycling-fans/)
-   -   Neutral Support - was it used this year (2008)? (http://www.bikeforums.net/professional-cycling-fans/446036-neutral-support-used-year-2008-a.html)

prendrefeu 07-26-08 06:26 AM

Neutral Support - was it used this year (2008)?
 
Looking back over the race (so far) - I haven't seen any instances of a rider using Mavic's neutral support. Again, I could be wrong - but it seemed like everytime there was a need for mechanical support this year, the Team Car wasn't too far off for a wheel swap or a full bicycle swap...

Does anyone recall or know of an instance in this year's race where the Mavic Neutral support was used?

bac 07-26-08 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prendrefeu (Post 7138463)
Looking back over the race (so far) - I haven't seen any instances of a rider using Mavic's neutral support. Again, I could be wrong - but it seemed like everytime there was a need for mechanical support this year, the Team Car wasn't too far off for a wheel swap or a full bicycle swap...

Does anyone recall or know of an instance in this year's race where the Mavic Neutral support was used?

Did you watch every minute of every stage on the Internet? :)

I'm sure neutral support was used many, many times.

... Brad

crash66 07-26-08 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prendrefeu (Post 7138463)
Looking back over the race (so far) - I haven't seen any instances of a rider using Mavic's neutral support. Again, I could be wrong - but it seemed like everytime there was a need for mechanical support this year, the Team Car wasn't too far off for a wheel swap or a full bicycle swap...

Does anyone recall or know of an instance in this year's race where the Mavic Neutral support was used?

Never saw any use of it on Versus coverage, but saw the neutral water carrier motorcycle used a couple times.

bailcash09 07-26-08 01:23 PM

I'll bet John-Lee Augustyn would've liked to on stage 16...how long did it take for him to get a bike anyway?

justinb 07-26-08 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bailcash09 (Post 7139994)
I'll bet John-Lee Augustyn would've liked to on stage 16...how long did it take for him to get a bike anyway?

Not sure, but I did see the Mavic car zipping by unawares as he climbed up the scree slope.

SpongeDad 07-26-08 03:03 PM

How do they handle different pedals? To they carry a mix in the car?

Suzie Green 07-26-08 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeDad (Post 7140458)
How do they handle different pedals? To they carry a mix in the car?

They actually go "old school" and use toe clips!

Sci-Fi 07-26-08 05:19 PM

Seen one or two get wheels, but as soon as the team car pulled up, they switched. Never seen a neutral bike used or at least caught by the TV coverage. That John-Lee Augustyn guy from South Africa could of used a neutral bike after his went down the mountain. They didn't show him after that but he finished 35th, so it is unknown if he used a neutral bike at least part of the way or just waited for the team car.

MKahrl 07-26-08 08:53 PM

I don't understand why no spectators retrieved the bike for him. It would have put him back on the road a lot faster if it were undamaged.

G-Whacker 07-26-08 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crash66 (Post 7139227)
Never saw any use of it on Versus coverage, but saw the neutral water carrier motorcycle used a couple times.

Make sure you throw away the neutral bottles, so you can blame the French when you test non-negative later!

Laggard 07-26-08 09:13 PM

You don't often see riders on neutral support bikes and when you do they are normally pretty unhappy. Obviously they are not meant to finish the stage on.

Beaker 07-26-08 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MKahrl (Post 7142084)
I don't understand why no spectators retrieved the bike for him. It would have put him back on the road a lot faster if it were undamaged.

perhaps if there were spectators with ropes -- looked to me like that bike went quite the ways down the hill, Augustyn had a tough enough time climbing back up the hill a little way.

jaxgtr 07-26-08 10:33 PM

I wish the camera would have panned down to see how far they thing slid. I wonder if it is still there or if some enterprising individual decide to retrieve it. Check the French eBay

DieselDan 07-27-08 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxgtr (Post 7142634)
I wish the camera would have panned down to see how far they thing slid. I wonder if it is still there or if some enterprising individual decide to retrieve it. Check the French eBay

There was a shot down the valley from the helicopter on the morning east coast live show. I don't know if it was in the edited shows later in the day. I didn't see where the bike went.

bailcash09 07-27-08 06:45 AM

what kind of bike do they use anyway?

z415 07-27-08 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bailcash09 (Post 7143695)
what kind of bike do they use anyway?

Bianchis for Barloworld is all I could gather.

If you are talking about the neutral support, I think they may still use Scotts. I know a local LBS around here that sells neutral Mavic labeled bikes. Can't imagine who would buy them, but it was a year ago when I saw them and the owner said they were just repainted Scott Speedsters/CR1s

yellowjeep 07-27-08 07:41 PM

Cannondale CAAD 9s

Notice the super smoove welds and the C

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_39ete8eUmO4/SE...o/IMGP4904.JPG

BananaTugger 07-27-08 07:44 PM

The Mavic Neutral Support bikes are:

Cannondale CAAD 8 or CAAD 9 non SI frames, Campagnolo Record with the old alloy cranks, Mavic wheels befitting of the stage (Kysrium SL's or Cosmic Carbones), Michelin tires, Fi'zi:k Arione saddles, Mavic Brakes and Cassettes, FSA bars, stems and seatposts.

Sci-Fi 07-27-08 08:05 PM

http://www.theroaddiaries.com/?p=29

BananaTugger 07-27-08 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sci-Fi (Post 7147611)

SRAM bought the neutral support deal?

That's unfortunate.

Giving somone who has been on Shimano and Campagnolo his whole life some components he's probably never even touched = bad.

Sci-Fi 07-27-08 08:36 PM

Astana is using the SRAM Red road gruppo, at least at the Giro. Supposed to be lighter and more responsive.

BananaTugger 07-27-08 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sci-Fi (Post 7147820)
Astana is using the SRAM Red road gruppo, at least at the Giro. Supposed to be lighter and more responsive.

So, there are three teams (including the Orbea Continental team) out of over 100 Pro Tour and Continental teams that are using SRAM. =/

FIVE ONE SIX 07-27-08 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bailcash09 (Post 7139994)
I'll bet John-Lee Augustyn would've liked to on stage 16...how long did it take for him to get a bike anyway?

from what i remember during the VS coverage, they said it took 5 minutes...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:30 PM.