Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-08, 08:25 PM   #1
crash66
Lucky 47
Thread Starter
 
crash66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The past
Bikes: 2005 Specialized Allez Elite
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did Sastre run an elliptical chain ring in the TT?

I just caught the evening replay, and it sure looked like the oval ring that Julich has been toying with the last couple years. Anyone else notice that, or am I mistaken?
crash66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 08:29 PM   #2
yellowjeep
Senior Member
 
yellowjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lawrence
Bikes:
Posts: 3,270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No you are correct he has been running them all tour.
yellowjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 08:31 PM   #3
BananaTugger
CPM M4
 
BananaTugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
Bikes: Light.
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
He's been using Rotor Q-Rings since the end of last season.
__________________
Ten tenths.
BananaTugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 08:33 PM   #4
crash66
Lucky 47
Thread Starter
 
crash66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The past
Bikes: 2005 Specialized Allez Elite
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjeep View Post
No you are correct he has been running them all tour.

Wow, I never even thought to look during any of the other stages. I figured it was only for the TT when I happened to catch it tonight.

Expect plenty of Freds at your LBS tomorrow asking how much they cost.
crash66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 08:34 PM   #5
Suzie Green
Cycler
 
Suzie Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash66 View Post
Wow, I never even thought to look during any of the other stages. I figured it was only for the TT when I happened to catch it tonight.

Expect plenty of Freds at your LBS tomorrow asking how much they cost.
LOL...or search for old Bio-Pace equipment on Ebay!
Suzie Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 11:05 PM   #6
yellowjeep
Senior Member
 
yellowjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lawrence
Bikes:
Posts: 3,270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Biopace it totaly different though. I have been contemplating some Q-rings for a little while just to see how they feel.
yellowjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 03:34 PM   #7
crash66
Lucky 47
Thread Starter
 
crash66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The past
Bikes: 2005 Specialized Allez Elite
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie Green View Post
LOL...or search for old Bio-Pace equipment on Ebay!
No joke! I had Biopace on my '89 Nishiki Olympic. I was such a greenhorn I never even noticed that it was anything unique! I should have kept it!
crash66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 06:03 PM   #8
s1nglespeed
one and only
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Western Connecticut
Bikes:
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think it was Sastre who told the story have having a mechanical in a race, and Bobby Julich gave him his bike (Julich has been riding those things forever). Sastre was so impressed with his performance on them, that he switched immediately.

It seems like the constant change in chain tension would make dropping your chain so much more likely ... but it doesn't seem to happen.
s1nglespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 06:43 PM   #9
BananaTugger
CPM M4
 
BananaTugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
Bikes: Light.
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1nglespeed View Post
I think it was Sastre who told the story have having a mechanical in a race, and Bobby Julich gave him his bike (Julich has been riding those things forever). Sastre was so impressed with his performance on them, that he switched immediately.

It seems like the constant change in chain tension would make dropping your chain so much more likely ... but it doesn't seem to happen.
Julich uses O.Symmetric rings, which are harmonic, Sastre is on Rotor Q-Rings, which are elliptical.

They each work much differently, so I'm not buying the story.

In any case, the variance in chain tension is nil, as the amount of chain that is wrapped around the Rotor rings when it's at the "peak" of the ellipsis isn't much more than a round ring.
__________________
Ten tenths.
BananaTugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 06:48 PM   #10
s1nglespeed
one and only
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Western Connecticut
Bikes:
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaTugger View Post
Julich uses O.Symmetric rings, which are harmonic, Sastre is on Rotor Q-Rings, which are elliptical.

They each work much differently, so I'm not buying the story.

In any case, the variance in chain tension is nil, as the amount of chain that is wrapped around the Rotor rings when it's at the "peak" of the ellipsis isn't much more than a round ring.
Ah ... OK ... must have been someone else. Thanks for the info on the Rotor's.
s1nglespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 06:53 PM   #11
Suzie Green
Cycler
 
Suzie Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1nglespeed View Post
I think it was Sastre who told the story have having a mechanical in a race, and Bobby Julich gave him his bike (Julich has been riding those things forever). Sastre was so impressed with his performance on them, that he switched immediately.
Wow, Sastre on Julich's bike....could he even reach the pedals?
Suzie Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:07 AM.