Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-02-08, 03:02 PM   #1
Edgecrusher
non-conformist
Thread Starter
 
Edgecrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Bikes: Prolite Carbon
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"No doping, no drama" - News Headline

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...0,119772.story

I think this is a interesting and somewhat truthful article
that I happen to somewhat agree with.

Of course there are those who will disagree and act
offended and put out by the facts and truths the article touches
on.

No matter who agrees or disagrees, the fact that
everyone's opinion can be expressed and discussed
is a key component of the issue. I always dislike
when a subject is made to be irreproachable or
differing opinions brand a writer or reader as
an outcast or woefully misguided.

The fact is, there are truths in all arguments.
Edgecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 06:39 PM   #2
USAZorro
Seņor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Florence, KY
Bikes: 1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1996 Giant Iguana, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead
Posts: 14,414
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Who cares what Mr. Stein thinks? I completely disagree with his conclusion. True, the efforts are less superhuman, but if that's what he wants to see, he should watch a video game.
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 08:13 PM   #3
pumpy schwartz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
or a strongman competition
pumpy schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 08:15 PM   #4
slickyricky
bouldertransplant
 
slickyricky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: boulder, co
Bikes: langster, assorted others
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think his idea is interesting, but not realistic or "socially acceptable." I think its funny how people create false idealistic history, thinking back to the good ol' days when racers relied on brute strength and iron will
slickyricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 09:17 PM   #5
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Bikes: Trek ALR 6, Trek CrossRip, Trek X-Caliber 8
Posts: 4,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Joel Stein is an idiot. Not funny, has never been funny. He is probably slower than me.
__________________
Brian | 2015 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.
jaxgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 11:14 PM   #6
dahoss2002
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bossier City, La
Bikes: 70's Motobecane, 89 Centurion Ironman
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxgtr View Post
Joel Stein is an idiot. Not funny, has never been funny. He is probably slower than me.
+1 to Jax and +100 to TDF for their anti-doping efforts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAZorro View Post
Who cares what Mr. Stein thinks? I completely disagree with his conclusion. True, the efforts are less superhuman, but if that's what he wants to see, he should watch a video game.
I completely agree with you
dahoss2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 08:44 AM   #7
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico
 
huhenio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger
Posts: 3,522
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickyricky View Post
I think his idea is interesting, but not realistic or "socially acceptable." I think its funny how people create false idealistic history, thinking back to the good ol' days when racers relied on brute strength and iron will
cocaina cocaina, yo me voy para bolivia!
__________________
Giving Haircuts Over The Phone
huhenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 09:34 AM   #8
Keith99
Senior Member
 
Keith99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Translation.

Even though none of the places on the podium were decided until the time trial on the next to last stage there was only an outside chance an American would take one of those three spots, and no chance at all that it would be First Place so I don't care.
Keith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 09:43 AM   #9
Vuroth
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Bikes: Argon18 Xenon
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What a delightful and informative post.

Quote:
Apparently, if an entire sport has been using performance-enhancing drugs for decades, when you toss out the dopers, you're not left with anyone who wants to win badly enough.
I simply had no idea that the drugs affected how badly you wanted to win. If someone could tell me what drugs affect motivation, I think I may become an armchair doper!
Vuroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 11:42 AM   #10
40 Cent
fixed for the long haul
 
40 Cent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Professional, 1990 Cannondale 3.0 Touring bike
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...0,119772.story

I think this is a interesting and somewhat truthful article
that I happen to somewhat agree with.

Of course there are those who will disagree and act
offended and put out by the facts and truths the article touches
on.

No matter who agrees or disagrees, the fact that
everyone's opinion can be expressed and discussed
is a key component of the issue. I always dislike
when a subject is made to be irreproachable or
differing opinions brand a writer or reader as
an outcast or woefully misguided.


The fact is, there are truths in all arguments.

This is the lazy misguided approach our press has taken over the last few years: give air time to all sides and you'll get to the truth. BS.

Didn't Joel Klein have something else to write about?
40 Cent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 04:10 PM   #11
Edgecrusher
non-conformist
Thread Starter
 
Edgecrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Bikes: Prolite Carbon
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Cent View Post
This is the lazy misguided approach our press has taken over the last few years: give air time to all sides and you'll get to the truth. BS.

Didn't Joel Klein have something else to write about?

Ok, so from your quote - "give air time to all sides and you'll get to the truth. BS."
you are stating that only one side, the side that you or who ever agrees with,
is the only side that should be heard?

Is this what you are truly saying?
Edgecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 06:43 PM   #12
USAZorro
Seņor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Florence, KY
Bikes: 1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1996 Giant Iguana, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead
Posts: 14,414
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
Ok, so from your quote - "give air time to all sides and you'll get to the truth. BS."
you are stating that only one side, the side that you or who ever agrees with,
is the only side that should be heard?

Is this what you are truly saying?
I took it to mean that journalists seem timid to reach their own conclusions based on sorting through plausible evidence.

This fellow Klein doesn't seem afraid to go out on a limb, but I feel he's completely out to lunch. Anything to sell a paper I guess.
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 08:11 PM   #13
Suzie Green
Cycler
 
Suzie Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure one of the reasons he wrote in this tone is that writing along the lines of "Gee, I really liked the Tour de France this year, it was an awesome race" wouldn't sell many papers. The Enquirer School of Journalism strikes again.
Suzie Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 11:04 PM   #14
40 Cent
fixed for the long haul
 
40 Cent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Professional, 1990 Cannondale 3.0 Touring bike
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
Ok, so from your quote - "give air time to all sides and you'll get to the truth. BS."
you are stating that only one side, the side that you or who ever agrees with,
is the only side that should be heard?

Is this what you are truly saying?
No, I'm saying I disagree with your statement that there are truths in all arguments. It's not true. Some arguments are not valid, and Joel Klein's doesn't appear to be serious. He's just trying to stir things up.
40 Cent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 11:08 PM   #15
rustguard
bike wannabee
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ozzy
Bikes: road, mountain, tourer, and spares
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie Green View Post
I'm sure one of the reasons he wrote in this tone is that writing along the lines of "Gee, I really liked the Tour de France this year, it was an awesome race" wouldn't sell many papers. The Enquirer School of Journalism strikes again.
exactly, tabloid journalism.
rustguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 02:58 PM   #16
Edgecrusher
non-conformist
Thread Starter
 
Edgecrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Bikes: Prolite Carbon
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Cent View Post
No, I'm saying I disagree with your statement that there are truths in all arguments. It's not true. Some arguments are not valid, and Joel Klein's doesn't appear to be serious. He's just trying to stir things up.

..."Some arguments are not valid,"

Why? Because you say so?

It seems pretty arrogant to me that you can emphatically make that statement.
Again, because you and others do not like what Stein wrote you get your lycra
in a bind and take some personal offense. I don't get it, mainly because it is not a
totally logical response, but rather emotional one. Remove your feelings from
the argument, if possible, and then examine it from different perspectives.

I grew up on American football and baseball, when I was 7, 8, & 10 years old
watching games, getting excited, and playing in the sandlot - I had no idea
these guys were doped up. For years and years I had no idea about it.
When I eventually came to understand about ped's and steroids, it didn't change
my love for the games at ALL. Never has...never will.

I still love each one, and it does not matter who is taking what. What matters
is the game itself, and I don't care if someone has an advantage.
Cheating is a part of professional sports, always has been always will.
Read "The Unfair Advantage" (Mark Donohue). It just doesn't matter.
But some people for whatever emotional and personal reasons get so worked
up over it, and will never let it rest. You can fight it, but you will never beat it.


If I were a professional I would always be searching for the unfair advantage
no matter what it took, and no matter what the consequences might be.
Too much at stake, too short of a time span to capture glory.
Science and nature have made some amazing advances in our society
and as human beings we should each be allowed the freedoms to choose
what we want to do to our own bodies and minds. If science can produce
a better athlete then so be it, I am all for it.
Edgecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 03:19 PM   #17
USAZorro
Seņor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Florence, KY
Bikes: 1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1996 Giant Iguana, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead
Posts: 14,414
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
edgecrusher,

Everyone has opinions, and sometimes my opinion might be that someone else's opinion isn't very well founded. Sometimes, it seems apparent that the person expressing an opinion does so without even considering the topic (in short, they're just talking out their butt). If I notice that, I might feel like pointing it out. Does that make me arrogant? Perhaps, but be careful coloring me with that brush, lest you expose yourself to be a hypocrite.
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 03:35 PM   #18
Dolomiti
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just read an article in The Economist that suggested that gene doping is ethical and should be allowed. Their reasoning was that some athletes aren't as naturally gifted as others, so it's unfair to not allow them to manipulate their genes to give them an 'equal chance'. The article reminded me of why I don't read The Economist anymore.
Dolomiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 03:36 PM   #19
Edgecrusher
non-conformist
Thread Starter
 
Edgecrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Bikes: Prolite Carbon
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAZorro View Post
edgecrusher,

Everyone has opinions, and sometimes my opinion might be that someone else's opinion isn't very well founded. Sometimes, it seems apparent that the person expressing an opinion does so without even considering the topic (in short, they're just talking out their butt). If I notice that, I might feel like pointing it out. Does that make me arrogant? Perhaps, but be careful coloring me with that brush, lest you expose yourself to be a hypocrite.
So now you go from saying that all arguments do NOT have truths, to saying that it is
just your opinion. I s e e.

Maybe you could be more careful with what you say, as to whether
you are stating something concrete or just an opinion.
Opinions are fine, hell some of mine are fairly radical as well.
Edgecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 05:17 PM   #20
USAZorro
Seņor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Florence, KY
Bikes: 1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1996 Giant Iguana, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead
Posts: 14,414
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
So now you go from saying that all arguments do NOT have truths, to saying that it is
just your opinion. I s e e.

Maybe you could be more careful with what you say, as to whether
you are stating something concrete or just an opinion.
Opinions are fine, hell some of mine are fairly radical as well.
Read who said what.

Fact: Not all arguments are based upon truth.

Opinion: Not all opinions carry weight.
Opinion: Covering all points of view in an article is generally neither possible, nor is it likely to make the article better.
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 09:15 AM   #21
robema
Senior Member
 
robema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: wales
Bikes: racer,mountain
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so what's the alternative,tell our kids it's ok to use drugs?????
so the armchair enthousiast can have a god time????
robema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 12:34 PM   #22
40 Cent
fixed for the long haul
 
40 Cent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Professional, 1990 Cannondale 3.0 Touring bike
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
..."Some arguments are not valid,"

Why? Because you say so?

It seems pretty arrogant to me that you can emphatically make that statement.
Again, because you and others do not like what Stein wrote you get your lycra
in a bind and take some personal offense. I don't get it, mainly because it is not a
totally logical response, but rather emotional one. Remove your feelings from
the argument, if possible, and then examine it from different perspectives.

I grew up on American football and baseball, when I was 7, 8, & 10 years old
watching games, getting excited, and playing in the sandlot - I had no idea
these guys were doped up. For years and years I had no idea about it.
When I eventually came to understand about ped's and steroids, it didn't change
my love for the games at ALL. Never has...never will.

I still love each one, and it does not matter who is taking what. What matters
is the game itself, and I don't care if someone has an advantage.
Cheating is a part of professional sports, always has been always will.
Read "The Unfair Advantage" (Mark Donohue). It just doesn't matter.
But some people for whatever emotional and personal reasons get so worked
up over it, and will never let it rest. You can fight it, but you will never beat it.


If I were a professional I would always be searching for the unfair advantage
no matter what it took, and no matter what the consequences might be.
Too much at stake, too short of a time span to capture glory.
Science and nature have made some amazing advances in our society
and as human beings we should each be allowed the freedoms to choose
what we want to do to our own bodies and minds. If science can produce
a better athlete then so be it, I am all for it.

Listening to all sides -- no matter how poorly thought out -- is no replacement for critical thinking.

We're now discussing two things: How valid Klein's article is in the doping discussion and your insistence that it should be given as much weight as any other point of view. I think you're taking his tongue in cheek article more seriously than he took it himself.

By your tone, it seems you're rather emotionally attached to your method of inquiry.

As for whether drugs should be allowed, it's a worthwhile discussion. I've argued for it myself (during last year's tour) because the anti-doping process seemed to be making this less fair rather than more.

But Klein is arguing for allowing drugs simply to make the competition more exciting. It's still not clear to me what your position is on that. Pro-drugs to make lesser athletes more like better ones, thereby leveling the field? That doesn't add to the excitement, does it?. How far back is the doping hayday Klein is referring to, when things were more exciting? Coppi, Merckx, Hinault, Lance? Expound please.
40 Cent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-08, 02:44 PM   #23
Edgecrusher
non-conformist
Thread Starter
 
Edgecrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Bikes: Prolite Carbon
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Cent View Post
Listening to all sides -- no matter how poorly thought out -- is no replacement for critical thinking.

We're now discussing two things: How valid Klein's article is in the doping discussion and your insistence that it should be given as much weight as any other point of view. I think you're taking his tongue in cheek article more seriously than he took it himself.

By your tone, it seems you're rather emotionally attached to your method of inquiry.

As for whether drugs should be allowed, it's a worthwhile discussion. I've argued for it myself (during last year's tour) because the anti-doping process seemed to be making this less fair rather than more.

But Klein is arguing for allowing drugs simply to make the competition more exciting. It's still not clear to me what your position is on that. Pro-drugs to make lesser athletes more like better ones, thereby leveling the field? That doesn't add to the excitement, does it?. How far back is the doping hayday Klein is referring to, when things were more exciting? Coppi, Merckx, Hinault, Lance? Expound please.
I don't have a specific 'position' on doping or taking performance enhancing drugs.
I could care less why athletes take them, it is their personal choice. I am all for it though.
Personally, I would take them to increase my abilities and performance.

PED's should be allowed for maximum performance, just as equipment and technology
is pushed to its limit using science, so too should human performance.
Again, I could care less who takes what and for whatever reasons.
It is a personal choice, period - as I have stated many times prior.

As for Stein's article I don't believe it was as t & c as you say either, but that is
my perception of the piece.
Edgecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-08, 02:49 PM   #24
Edgecrusher
non-conformist
Thread Starter
 
Edgecrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Bikes: Prolite Carbon
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAZorro View Post
Read who said what.

Fact: Not all arguments are based upon truth.

Opinion: Not all opinions carry weight.
Opinion: Covering all points of view in an article is generally neither possible, nor is it likely to make the article better.

Again, why don't all opinions carry weight? Who said so?
"Covering all points of view in an article is generally neither possible, nor is it likely to make the article better."

Then why bother? If you can't cover all points, what gives it weight? What makes it valid?
Because you or I agree or disagree with an author?
I completely disagree with your assessment.
Edgecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-08, 02:54 PM   #25
Edgecrusher
non-conformist
Thread Starter
 
Edgecrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Bikes: Prolite Carbon
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robema View Post
so what's the alternative,tell our kids it's ok to use drugs?????
so the armchair enthousiast can have a god time????

What have you told your kids about the last 50 odd years of doping (probably more)
in just about every major sport in the world, as well as the Olympics?

Oh, forget about all that history kids...today the real competition starts!

Here's a clue-Athletes don't take ped's for the enthusiasts...
they take them to performe better, to win.

It's a bit naive sunshine, to think they would take ped's and assume the
health and competition risks for the "armchair enthusiasts"
Edgecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:21 AM.