Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41

Thread: Tdf FAQ

  1. #1
    Senior Member hos13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    552 LATA
    My Bikes
    2007 Mercier Sperns (I'm a shill) and a 99 Diamondback Invert
    Posts
    778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Tdf FAQ

    An FAQ maybe helpful for those (including self) relatively new to the Tour. We might be able to compile quite a list before Saturday.


    Q. What is the deal with the black and white American flags.


    A. It is the Flag of Brittany
    "Don't give up, don't ever give up" jimmyv

  2. #2
    On the road to health. Griffin2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Cervelo RS is in process.
    Posts
    603
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny looing stars on that black and white american flag...LOL

  3. #3
    Senior Member hos13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    552 LATA
    My Bikes
    2007 Mercier Sperns (I'm a shill) and a 99 Diamondback Invert
    Posts
    778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin2020 View Post
    Funny looing stars on that black and white american flag...LOL
    It has been asked.
    "Don't give up, don't ever give up" jimmyv

  4. #4
    Senior Member zeo_max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Alabama, boy !
    My Bikes
    FUJI Nevada 1.0 2009
    Posts
    863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the deal with riders NOT wanting to win the first stage saying it is too much pressure because they have to wear the yellow jersey or something ?

  5. #5
    Elitist Troglodyte DMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    My Bikes
    03 Raleigh Professional (steel)
    Posts
    6,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The team holding the yellow jersey is expected to control the pace of the peleton (assuming they want to keep it), which means putting their riders on the front and breaking wind for (and on) everyone else. It's hard on a team to do that for three weeks.
    Stupidity got us into this mess - why can't it get us out?

    - Will Rogers

  6. #6
    Sua Ku rollin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hot as hell, Singapore
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium
    Posts
    5,653
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Q.Who is this guy:



    Answer

  7. #7
    Senior Member hocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denver
    My Bikes
    Road and Mountain
    Posts
    619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How are teams chosen? I don't get why there's no LPR (Di Luca, Pettachi, etc) and Skil-Shimano (who??) is selected.

  8. #8
    Senior Member hos13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    552 LATA
    My Bikes
    2007 Mercier Sperns (I'm a shill) and a 99 Diamondback Invert
    Posts
    778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Q. Why is a stuffed lion given to the rider who is awarded the maillot jaune (yellow jersey or "mellow johnny" if you what to mispronounce it )?



    A. The lion is the mascot of Crédit Lyonnais who is the finacial manager and main sponsor of the Tour de France.
    "Don't give up, don't ever give up" jimmyv

  9. #9
    Elitist Troglodyte DMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    My Bikes
    03 Raleigh Professional (steel)
    Posts
    6,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hocker View Post
    How are teams chosen? I don't get why there's no LPR (Di Luca, Pettachi, etc) and Skil-Shimano (who??) is selected.
    All the ProTour teams get an automatic invite unless ASO is pissed off at them for some reason. Then there are two(?) additional invitational spots. I don't know the particulars on the teams mentioned.

    This is in the process of changing, btw. It used to be at the sole discretion of ASO, but a recent deal with UCI is making the selection process more predictable.
    Stupidity got us into this mess - why can't it get us out?

    - Will Rogers

  10. #10
    Elitist Troglodyte DMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    My Bikes
    03 Raleigh Professional (steel)
    Posts
    6,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rollin View Post
    Q.Who is this guy:
    More importantly, does he have minions?


    All your bikes are belong to us!
    Stupidity got us into this mess - why can't it get us out?

    - Will Rogers

  11. #11
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    455
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF View Post
    More importantly, does he have minions?


    All your bikes are belong to us!
    Yes, and one of them is called Floyd.

  12. #12
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    29,511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We could have an entire section just on jerseys:

    a. Leaders' jerseys: yellow, green, white, polka-dot.
    b. World and national champions' jerseys: rainbow stripes and flag motifs.
    c. Cuffs and collars for former champs.
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  13. #13
    Big Blade Howzit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    950
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo_max View Post
    What is the deal with riders NOT wanting to win the first stage saying it is too much pressure because they have to wear the yellow jersey or something ?
    That is absolutely incorrect.
    Thats just what TV commentators say for fill.
    It is the dream of every rider who starts on the line to wear the jersey for at least a day.
    It is even more important for the team sponsors to see one of their riders get a yellow jersey.
    There are hundreds of tabloids, magazines, TV coverage, interviews and so on that the yellow jersey wearer gets. This is a MAJOR part of what sponsors want.
    Stage 2, it doesnt matter weather the yellow jersey team works or not. The reason teams go work on the front on something like stage two if anything is to either keep their "riding sponsor advertiser" in yellow, or, you guessed it, to be on the TV cameras for their team sponsor to see.

    The first 5 stages are a sponsors delight. Every team is trying to get the piece of the pie. Its a big show in the first 5 stages (and the rest of the Tour)

  14. #14
    Senior Member Keith99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,719
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Howzit View Post
    That is absolutely incorrect.
    Thats just what TV commentators say for fill.
    It is the dream of every rider who starts on the line to wear the jersey for at least a day.
    It is even more important for the team sponsors to see one of their riders get a yellow jersey.
    There are hundreds of tabloids, magazines, TV coverage, interviews and so on that the yellow jersey wearer gets. This is a MAJOR part of what sponsors want.
    Stage 2, it doesnt matter weather the yellow jersey team works or not. The reason teams go work on the front on something like stage two if anything is to either keep their "riding sponsor advertiser" in yellow, or, you guessed it, to be on the TV cameras for their team sponsor to see.

    The first 5 stages are a sponsors delight. Every team is trying to get the piece of the pie. Its a big show in the first 5 stages (and the rest of the Tour)
    I have to agree, with just a little modifying. The teams of the potential winners are often not willing to put in work to obtain or defend the jersey in the first week. That is different from not wanting it.

    You are right the first week is a sponsorfest for the smaller teams with riders racing up cat 4 climbs to be in polkadot for 2 days (or even virtually for the next 1 hour).

    And if a serious contender ends up in Yellow his team will work a little, but not a lot to stay there. If a team with no serious contender grabs Yellow yuo can bet they will work their butts off to stay there as long as possible.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Orlando
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 5.1; Trek 6500 & Trek 1500
    Posts
    377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caloso View Post
    We could have an entire section just on jerseys:

    a. Leaders' jerseys: yellow, green, white, polka-dot.
    b. World and national champions' jerseys: rainbow stripes and flag motifs.
    c. Cuffs and collars for former champs.
    I have a question - speaking of uniforms. Is there a reason Lance Armstrong no longer wears the World Champion Stripes on his sleeves? Can you only wear for a limited time (ten years or so?)

  16. #16
    Cheers! 2wheeled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Woodinville
    My Bikes
    Scott Addict R15, Cadd 9
    Posts
    1,284
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  17. #17
    raodmaster shaman
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    G-ville
    Posts
    1,431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF View Post
    More importantly, does he have minions?


    All your bikes are belong to us!
    I hear his scent is just as effective as minions.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the best paint to use when painting on the roads?

    Is it legal in France or should I do it at night?

  19. #19
    Big Blade Howzit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    950
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Choppered View Post
    What's the best paint to use when painting on the roads?

    Is it legal in France or should I do it at night?
    Just make sure other fans dont beat you up if they see you painting the name of someone they hate

  20. #20
    raodmaster shaman
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    G-ville
    Posts
    1,431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sidewalk chalk. not paint.

  21. #21
    Elitist Troglodyte DMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    My Bikes
    03 Raleigh Professional (steel)
    Posts
    6,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, do it before the serious drinking starts.


    Like two days before the race; three when there's Germans.
    Stupidity got us into this mess - why can't it get us out?

    - Will Rogers

  22. #22
    clean water waikikihei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Maui, HI
    My Bikes
    Litespeed
    Posts
    174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Porter20 View Post
    I have a question - speaking of uniforms. Is there a reason Lance Armstrong no longer wears the World Champion Stripes on his sleeves? Can you only wear for a limited time (ten years or so?)
    Good question. If I'm not mistaken, there is no time limit on wearing the rainbow cuff. Again, if memory serves, Lance wore the rainbow stripes into the early years of his TDF victories. Then he replaced the rainbow with a yellow band. I always assumed he did it as a personal statement that the tour was more significant than the world championship. As I recall, some of his teamates were also wearing the yellow band.

  23. #23
    Lance Hater Laggard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    4,316
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is Vino wearing that funny colored jersey? Oh wait, that was THE question a few years back.
    i may have overreacted

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too many rules. Just ride the bike and forget it.

  25. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stow, MA
    My Bikes
    trek 1500
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm new to watching the tour and its rules/strategy. how does it help a leader if a fellow team member "chases" a breakaway rider? Say Armstrong's in the lead and sends his domestique (I like that) to "chase" a breakaway rider: how does that help Armstrong? Doesn't he himself have to catch up to prevent Mr. Breakaway from eating into his lead? Is it because the team member will draft him up to the breakaway?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •