Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Professional Cycling For the Fans (http://www.bikeforums.net/professional-cycling-fans/)
-   -   Systematic Doping at Quick Step? (http://www.bikeforums.net/professional-cycling-fans/557346-systematic-doping-quick-step.html)

HigherGround 06-30-09 08:52 PM

Systematic Doping at Quick Step?
 
From CyclingNews.com:

Quote:

Doctors supplied cortisone, growth hormones and EPO

Patrik Sinkewitz confessed to the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) in November 2007 about systematic doing on his former team Quick Step, according to Radsport-News. Sinkewitz described how Quick Step doctors would inject him with cortisone prior to important races and that the doctors also supplied him with growth hormones and EPO.

"They took regular blood samples to measure my hematocrit and fit the EPO doses to the respective values," said Sinkewitz.

Sinkewitz also spoke of a secret training camp in Andalusia in May 2004 where Quick Step's medical team had established a doping program. "Depending on their objectives, I knew that I had to take substances," said Sinkewitz.

Sinkewitz was a member of Quick Step from 2003 to 2005.

David Howman, WADA's director general, told the television program Frontal-21 that Sinkewitz's statement was forwarded to the Union Cycliste International (UCI) last week and that he had no explanation for the delay. Howman called Sinkewitz's statements "very detailed and helpful."

It is unclear what effect this will have on Quick Step's participation in the Tour de France starting Saturday in Monaco. "I can say nothing, because I know nothing of it. If there is something to explain there, we will issue a press release," said UCI spokesman Enrico Carpani.

Sinkewitz tested positive for testosterone before the 2007 Tour de France, and since he cooperated with authorities, received only a one-year ban, which ended July 17, 2008. The German resumed racing this year with the Czech PSK Whirlpool-Author team.
It will be depressing if Quick Step is added to the list of other illustrious teams such as Festina, Kelme, Liberty Seguros, and Telekom.

At first I was wondering whether or not the ASO might use these allegations as a reason to try and exclude the entire Quick Step team from the Tour de France this year, rather than just Tom Boonen. That would be extreme, but the same has been said of Astana's exclusion last year. However, I doubt the ASO would go that far, because:

1) Quick Step hasn't had any stars (that I can recall) receive UCI sanctions for failing drug tests as Vinokourov and Kashekin did.

2) At this point it is just an allegation and an official investigation has not been opened... yet.

3) Sinkewitz had left the team in 2005.

GV27 06-30-09 09:15 PM

Really, given the current climate and recent revelations this should come as a big surprise to anyone. Breaks my heart though. I've been a big fan of Quick Step - The Cricket, Tom Tornado, Stijn Devolder, etc. Sigh.....

I'm sure there will be the fair share of folks protesting that this is some sort of publicity stunt and that they're really clean as a whistle (as well as a fair share who say that Lance Armstrong has secretly ridden for Quick Step all these years, LOL) but I think they're deluding themselves. That doesn't mean that everyone was doping. There's always that outside chance that guys like Bettini and Boonen are of such high integrity that the team hid these activities from them. Maybe.

Erzulis Boat 06-30-09 09:30 PM

Good new/bad news.

I only wear jerseys from doping teams, but can't find my Quickstep jersey that I was given as a gift. (at least I can wear it when I find it!)

Howzit 07-01-09 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HigherGround (Post 9198185)
From CyclingNews.com:



It will be depressing if Quick Step is added to the list of other illustrious teams such as Festina, Kelme, Liberty Seguros, and Telekom.

At first I was wondering whether or not the ASO might use these allegations as a reason to try and exclude the entire Quick Step team from the Tour de France this year, rather than just Tom Boonen. That would be extreme, but the same has been said of Astana's exclusion last year. However, I doubt the ASO would go that far, because:

1) Quick Step hasn't had any stars (that I can recall) receive UCI sanctions for failing drug tests as Vinokourov and Kashekin did.

2) At this point it is just an allegation and an official investigation has not been opened... yet.

3) Sinkewitz had left the team in 2005.

The events from 1998 should have shown you the world of pro cycling.
Why all the surprise 11 years later?

HigherGround 07-01-09 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howzit (Post 9199229)
The events from 1998 should have shown you the world of pro cycling.
Why all the surprise 11 years later?

I said I would be depressed, not surprised. ;)

Considering the multitude of doping scandals over the last 25 years, there would be very, very few positive tests that would surprise me; however there are still some that would disappoint me. Still, I like to hope that at least some of what I see on TV or read about on-line could be produced naturally, rather than as a result of some pharmaceutical freak show.

I first started really getting in to cycling as a teenager in 1983, but the "honeymoon" period of my naivety was quickly over after learning that members of the US Olympic team were guilty of blood doping. Or as Eddie B. preferred to call it "blood boosting". It wasn't illegal at the time, but it was an eye opener for me. Even during the 1980's, Greg LeMond was an outspoken advocate of increased testing for banned substances. Pedro Delgado's Tour de France win in 1988 will have an asterisk next to it in my mind. Sadly, I've been skeptical of what I have seen for a while, but I still like to hope.

Erzulis Boat 07-01-09 10:04 AM

I have been into cycling and bike racing since the early 80's too.

Doping is what they do. Besides the Fantasyland wishes, my real beef is when they get caught, they need to immediately fess up.

I know some real racers, even my old riding buddy raced the Giro numerous times (moved back to 'Frisco), and EVERYBODY that knows cycling knows there is dope everywhere.

It didn't bother me so much when Tyler and Floyd got caught for example, but the total BS denial is disgusting.

Doping works, it is extremely hard to get caught, and everyone around you does it.................I understand why they do it, just confess when you get popped.

Howzit 07-01-09 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HigherGround (Post 9200500)
I said I would be depressed, not surprised. ;)

Ah, gotcha :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HigherGround (Post 9200500)
I first started really getting in to cycling as a teenager in 1983, but the "honeymoon" period of my naivety was quickly over after learning that members of the US Olympic team were guilty of blood doping. Or as Eddie B. preferred to call it "blood boosting". It wasn't illegal at the time, but it was an eye opener for me..........

Thats depressing.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:50 PM.