Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-09, 01:38 PM   #1
vadimivich
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lets talk about Cavendish

He's going to win 6 stages of the 2009 Tour de France, and today's was a truly stunning ride - showing unexpected ability to get over the climb, and then immense power to start his sprint from 400m out and holding off everyone.

Freddy Maertens was the last person to win 6 stages in the Tour, 28 years ago in 1981. What Cavendish is doing as a sprinter might be even more impressive than Contador's domination, Lance's performance as a 37 year old or anything else people have been talking about.

Yeah, he runs his mouth too much. Yeah "Manx Missile" is a horrible nickname. Yeah, he's not going to win the green jersey. All that aside, he's having one of the great all time TdF rides.

vadimivich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 02:00 PM   #2
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Bikes:
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimivich View Post
He's going to win 6 stages of the 2009 Tour de France, and today's was a truly stunning ride - showing unexpected ability to get over the climb, and then immense power to start his sprint from 400m out and holding off everyone.

Freddy Maertens was the last person to win 6 stages in the Tour, 28 years ago in 1981. What Cavendish is doing as a sprinter might be even more impressive than Contador's domination, Lance's performance as a 37 year old or anything else people have been talking about.

Yeah, he runs his mouth too much. Yeah "Manx Missile" is a horrible nickname. Yeah, he's not going to win the green jersey. All that aside, he's having one of the great all time TdF rides.

]
lets say cavendish wins his sixth stage and contador wins the tour.

no doubt a great feat for cavendish and i think he's shown that he doesn't win just because of a superior leadout. whether you like to guy or hate him he is the fastest.

now let's look at contador. if he wins in paris it'll be his fourth GT win, and he's 26. who was the last guy to do that?



ed rader

Last edited by erader; 07-24-09 at 02:48 PM.
erader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 02:08 PM   #3
vadimivich
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, I agree (and have said many times) that Contador has a chance to go down as one of the all time greats - he's just so good, so young.

I just meant in the context of this Tour alone, Contador and Armstrong have dominated the discussion and coverage, but Cavendish is having a truly remarkable ride as well and that seems to be flying under the radar a bit (and not just in the US). 6 stage wins will be ridiculous.
vadimivich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 02:12 PM   #4
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erader View Post
lets say cavendish wins his sixth stage and contador wins the tour.

no doubt a great feat for cavendish and i think he's shown that he doesn't win just because of a superior leadout. whether you like to guy or hate him he is the fastest.

now let's look at contador.
if he wins in paris it'll be his fourth GT win in a row, and he's 26. who was the last guy to do that?

[IMG]h ttp://erader.zenfolio.com/img/v7/p930321662-5.jpg[/IMG]

ed rader
a guy born with the name of gunderson won 7 GTs in a row.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 02:19 PM   #5
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Bikes:
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimivich View Post
Oh, I agree (and have said many times) that Contador has a chance to go down as one of the all time greats - he's just so good, so young.

I just meant in the context of this Tour alone, Contador and Armstrong have dominated the discussion and coverage, but Cavendish is having a truly remarkable ride as well and that seems to be flying under the radar a bit (and not just in the US). 6 stage wins will be ridiculous.
a couple of weeks ago it was mark cavendish 24/7. the reason neither of these champs are getting their full props is because of disbelief, disdain and denial........winning races cures all that .

ed rader
erader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 02:20 PM   #6
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Bikes:
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto View Post
a guy born with the name of gunderson won 7 GTs in a row.
which? and how old was he after the fourth win?

ed rader
erader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 02:21 PM   #7
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erader View Post
which? and how old was he after the fourth win?

ed rader
is this about age, or winning consecutive GTs?
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 02:26 PM   #8
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Bikes:
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto View Post
is this about age, or winning consecutive GTs?
it's about both. my point was cav and contador are both very young which makes the number of wins -- as well as quality of wins -- even that much more special.

with contador you have to factor in that two of the wins -- if he wins this year in paris -- will be TDF wins. also with AC he is one of five cyclists to win all three GTs even before this race.

edit: i've edited this post too.

ed rader

Last edited by erader; 07-24-09 at 02:51 PM.
erader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 02:29 PM   #9
julian
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: julian, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erader View Post
lets say cavendish wins his sixth stage and contador wins the tour.

no doubt a great feat for cavendish and i think he's shown that he doesn't win just because of a superior leadout. whether you like to guy or hate him he is the fastest.

now let's look at contador. if he wins in paris it'll be his fourth GT win in a row, and he's 26. who was the last guy to do that?



ed rader
2007 TDF
2008 Giro and Vuelta

Ed I think you are missing something here. You can't take races off and win 4 in a row. I do imagine there was a 2007 Veulta, a 2008 TDF and a 2009 Giro. Seems like he is slacking. His achievements are great no doubt but the way you spin it, you might as well be working for a political party.
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 02:31 PM   #10
Ratfish
Senior Member
 
Ratfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mle Island
Bikes:
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cavendish is good, but I was hoping Farrar would get at least one stage this year.
Ratfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 02:40 PM   #11
julian
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: julian, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto View Post
a guy born with the name of gunderson won 7 GTs in a row.
Lance Armstrong (born Lance Edward Gunderson on September 18, 1971) is an American professional road racing cyclist who rides for the Kazakhstan-based UCI ProTeam Astana. He won the Tour de France a record-breaking seven consecutive years, from 1999...
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 02:47 PM   #12
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Bikes:
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian View Post
2007 TDF
2008 Giro and Vuelta

Ed I think you are missing something here. You can't take races off and win 4 in a row. I do imagine there was a 2007 Veulta, a 2008 TDF and a 2009 Giro. Seems like he is slacking. His achievements are great no doubt but the way you spin it, you might as well be working for a political party.
i meant four in a row that he contested, and i've edited that part out of my post.

ed rader
erader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 02:49 PM   #13
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Bikes:
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratfish View Post
Cavendish is good, but I was hoping Farrar would get at least one stage this year.
i'll be pulling for farrar on the champs......

ed rader
erader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 03:13 PM   #14
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian View Post
Lance Armstrong (born Lance Edward Gunderson on September 18, 1971) is an American professional road racing cyclist who rides for the Kazakhstan-based UCI ProTeam Astana. He won the Tour de France a record-breaking seven consecutive years, from 1999...
congratulations.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 03:16 PM   #15
Garthr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: where
Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil
Posts: 1,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, he wins and wins, but for some reason I'm grow tired of the repetition of it. It's like "Goundhog Day" over and over.

It's nothing personal about Cav . . . I felt the same way when Boonen was dominating . . .or Ale-Jet . . or even Mario. It's the only part of the sport I really don't like too much.
Garthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 03:20 PM   #16
fauxto nick
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care
 
fauxto nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 3,893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really like Cav, he inspires me. I generally don't mind his immature attitude because he seems to show so much respect for his team and can back it up with his legs. That being said I was disgusted by what he said to Thor and was happy to see Thor teach the kid a lesson.

As far as Cav not pulling off the green jersey, I don't think it's a big deal. I remember him saying in an interview earlier this year something along the lines of "I'm not mature enough yet to get it"; he apparently was right.
fauxto nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 03:24 PM   #17
Ratfish
Senior Member
 
Ratfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mle Island
Bikes:
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So uh what'd he say to Thor?
Ratfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 03:28 PM   #18
Quel
Senior Member
 
Quel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes:
Posts: 3,648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cavendish is 3 hours behind the yellow jersey. I just wonder if someone like Contador (or any other GC contendor) would beat him on stages like today if he was fresh because he didn't even compete in other stages. It kind of limits your competition. Just not a real fan of the green/polka jerseys as anything but filler on boring stages like today. Fun to watch, but not that impressive to me.
Quel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 03:39 PM   #19
Ratfish
Senior Member
 
Ratfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mle Island
Bikes:
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As good as Cavendish is, he can't make those goofy sunglasses look cool.
Ratfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 03:50 PM   #20
Garthr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: where
Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil
Posts: 1,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratfish View Post
As good as Cavendish is, he can't make those goofy sunglasses look cool.
Like Mario could? Whatever he wore, he always looked cool.


Garthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 03:54 PM   #21
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Bikes:
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto View Post
congratulations.
got me....and i knew his name was gunderson !

ed rader
erader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 03:56 PM   #22
fauxto nick
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care
 
fauxto nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 3,893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratfish View Post
So uh what'd he say to Thor?
Don't quote me but something along the lines of "I hope you can sleep at night because that green jersey is stained". Then Thor promptly checked the little *******.
fauxto nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 03:57 PM   #23
fauxto nick
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care
 
fauxto nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 3,893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To me Cav is like that friend we all have and love where you're at a bar or on a group and he's just running his mouth and you turn to him and say "look dude, serously... seriously, shut the **** up."
fauxto nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 03:59 PM   #24
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Bikes:
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quel View Post
Cavendish is 3 hours behind the yellow jersey. I just wonder if someone like Contador (or any other GC contendor) would beat him on stages like today if he was fresh because he didn't even compete in other stages. It kind of limits your competition. Just not a real fan of the green/polka jerseys as anything but filler on boring stages like today. Fun to watch, but not that impressive to me.
i wonder if someone like contador could beat cav at milan san remo ?

ed rader
erader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 04:03 PM   #25
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
Posts: 28,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quel View Post
Cavendish is 3 hours behind the yellow jersey. I just wonder if someone like Contador (or any other GC contendor) would beat him on stages like today if he was fresh because he didn't even compete in other stages. It kind of limits your competition. Just not a real fan of the green/polka jerseys as anything but filler on boring stages like today. Fun to watch, but not that impressive to me.
Just because he is 3 hours behind doesn't mean he didn't have to work hard to drag his sprinter ass over the mountains...

Cav at the end of the tour would still beat a fresh Contador in a sprint and Contador at the end of the tour would still beat a fresh Cav up a climb, it's just how they are built.
umd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:13 AM.