Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-25-09, 10:00 AM   #1
johnny99
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern California
Bikes:
Posts: 10,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Contador is a class act

Despite all the flack that the English-speaking media is giving him, Contador is a great champion. He is also a great sportsman and showed it today.
johnny99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 10:02 AM   #2
GreenRiver
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Bikes: Gary Fisher Zebrano
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Watching Alberto match up with the Schleck boys in the coming years will be interesting for sure.
GreenRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 10:18 AM   #3
SunSwingsLow
Senior Member
 
SunSwingsLow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago
Bikes:
Posts: 1,957
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
He may or may not be. Its easy to be a sportsman when the race is in the bag. I tend to look how they react when its not and well, lets face it this tour he has had some questionable moves.

Not taking a thing away from him and his abilities, hes the best on the planet right now, no question.
SunSwingsLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 10:26 AM   #4
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Bikes:
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSwingsLow View Post
He may or may not be. Its easy to be a sportsman when the race is in the bag. I tend to look how they react when its not and well, lets face it this tour he has had some questionable moves.

Not taking a thing away from him and his abilities, hes the best on the planet right now, no question.
i agree. contador could have easily taken today's stage. his only competition was andy schleck who spent his bullets attacking.

ed rader
erader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 10:39 AM   #5
vadimivich
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Contador acted as "patron" of the peleton today for the first time - just another step in his growth as a great champion.
vadimivich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 10:42 AM   #6
johnny99
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern California
Bikes:
Posts: 10,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
If Contador took off and tried to win the stage today, everyone would have let him go. Many people were picking Contador to win the stage; even some Astana teammates (see Levi's blog).

Instead, he spent the whole day pulling Armstrong up to Andy or countering Andy's moves to let Armstrong catch back up. Without Contador's help, Armstrong could easily have lost his podium spot.
johnny99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 10:47 AM   #7
reef58
Senior Member
 
reef58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wilmington, NC
Bikes: Serotta Nove
Posts: 1,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The only problem with you logic is he wasn't fighting Andy for third place.

LA did well for himself today, but AC held back just to make everything was square. I wish he would have flown the coup and won the stage. He will regret that.

Maybe he is going to Radioshack afterall.

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny99 View Post
If Contador took off and tried to win the stage today, everyone would have let him go. Many people were picking Contador to win the stage; even some Astana teammates (see Levi's blog).

Instead, he spent the whole day pulling Armstrong up to Andy or countering Andy's moves to let Armstrong catch back up. Without Contador's help, Armstrong could easily have lost his podium spot.
reef58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 10:48 AM   #8
trustnoone
Senior Member
 
trustnoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton AB
Bikes: 2011 Colnago World Cup, 2012 Eddy Merckx AMX-2
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If someone would tell him that the pistol shot salute is cheesy to the point of being painful to watch.

Apperantly gifting stage 18 to the Schlecks after they did all the work dropping KlOden. Yeah, magnanimous.

Yes, he can ride, but I'm not much of a fan.
trustnoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 10:51 AM   #9
reef58
Senior Member
 
reef58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wilmington, NC
Bikes: Serotta Nove
Posts: 1,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Give the kid a break for pete's sake. He is trying to win a race not run a day care center. He discussed the attack with Kloden, so I doubt Kloden has any problems with what he did. I am sure he feels badly about dropping Kloden, and putting more time on Lance, but this is a race not a no drop group ride.

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustnoone View Post
If someone would tell him that the pistol shot salute is cheesy to the point of being painful to watch.

Apperantly gifting stage 18 to the Schlecks after they did all the work dropping KlOden. Yeah, magnanimous.

Yes, he can ride, but I'm not much of a fan.
reef58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 10:57 AM   #10
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07
 
Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SE Florida, USA aka the Treasure Coast
Bikes:
Posts: 5,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reef58 View Post
Give the kid a break for pete's sake. He is trying to win a race not run a day care center. He discussed the attack with Kloden, so I doubt Kloden has any problems with what he did. I am sure he feels badly about dropping Kloden, and putting more time on Lance, but this is a race not a no drop group ride.

Richard
The best reply yet. Good job!

It'll fall on deaf ears though.
__________________
“Life is not one damned thing after another. Life is one damned thing over and over.”
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 11:07 AM   #11
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Bikes:
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimivich View Post
Contador acted as "patron" of the peleton today for the first time - just another step in his growth as a great champion.
contador will have four GT wins at age 26. he was on his way to being a great champion waaaay sooner than you want to give him credit for .

ed rader
erader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 11:10 AM   #12
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Bikes:
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reef58 View Post
The only problem with you logic is he wasn't fighting Andy for third place.

LA did well for himself today, but AC held back just to make everything was square. I wish he would have flown the coup and won the stage. He will regret that.

Maybe he is going to Radioshack afterall.

Richard
i suspect you are right. lance regretted gifting ventoux to pantani.

"no gifts".

i guess that only applies to giving, not receiving.

what a boring, politically correct stage.

ed rader
erader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 11:18 AM   #13
reef58
Senior Member
 
reef58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wilmington, NC
Bikes: Serotta Nove
Posts: 1,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the problem with some people and Contador is they want him to micro manage every kilometer of a race like Lance did. I don't think that is how AC operates. He wants to race. Here is a stroy I am stealing from running back John Riggins. I think his high school or college coach told him this to motivate him. The response from Riggins is AC like to me.

Coach says John if you want to win you have to be like player A. Player A always gets plenty of rest while player B is out partying and having a good time. Player A always eats properly while player B is eating pizza and drinking beer. Player A trains properly and understands the entire field. Player B is hitting on girls. Then during the race at the finish line player A stretches to nose player B at this line. Riggins replies that player B sure is talented.

Richard
reef58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 11:24 AM   #14
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Bikes:
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reef58 View Post
I think the problem with some people and Contador is they want him to micro manage every kilometer of a race like Lance did. I don't think that is how AC operates. He wants to race. Here is a stroy I am stealing from running back John Riggins. I think his high school or college coach told him this to motivate him. The response from Riggins is AC like to me.

Coach says John if you want to win you have to be like player A. Player A always gets plenty of rest while player B is out partying and having a good time. Player A always eats properly while player B is eating pizza and drinking beer. Player A trains properly and understands the entire field. Player B is hitting on girls. Then during the race at the finish line player A stretches to nose player B at this line. Riggins replies that player B sure is talented.

Richard
have we seen any celebrating from team astana? do they mob alberto like columbia does cav after a stage win? hell no. many of the astana guys will be getting their checks signed by lance next year. even horner has badmouthed contador.

i've never seen a situation where the yellow jersey was so maligned by his own team.

contador should have fired the pistol today atop ventoux.

ed rader
erader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 11:26 AM   #15
julian
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: julian, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Contador was great today. You can't keep firing bullets day after day durng a GT. You also have to play the team game. He deserves this victory and I congratulate him. Far and away the best rider.
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 11:35 AM   #16
OrionKhan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes:
Posts: 1,636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erader View Post
have we seen any celebrating from team astana? do they mob alberto like columbia does cav after a stage win? hell no. many of the astana guys will be getting their checks signed by lance next year. even horner has badmouthed contador.

i've never seen a situation where the yellow jersey was so maligned by his own team.

contador should have fired the pistol today atop ventoux.

ed rader
Yes.

Lance should have sucked it up and threw all of his support behind AC. That would have been true team leadership. They had the yellow jersey, the most dominant rider in the race, but they were bent because AC wasn't following their "team" tactics. Tactics that weren't the best strategy for AC to dominate the race. Contador should have had well over a 5 minute lead going into the ITT. But he'd been reigned in on the pyrenees.
OrionKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 11:40 AM   #17
julian
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: julian, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erader View Post
i suspect you are right. lance regretted gifting ventoux to pantani.

"no gifts".

i guess that only applies to giving, not receiving.

what a boring, politically correct stage.

ed rader
That was a whole different ballgame. Did Armstrong have a team mate to protect that year from slipping off the podium?
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 11:41 AM   #18
julian
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: julian, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionKhan View Post
Yes.

Lance should have sucked it up and threw all of his support behind AC. That would have been true team leadership. They had the yellow jersey, the most dominant rider in the race, but they were bent because AC wasn't following their "team" tactics. Tactics that weren't the best strategy for AC to dominate the race. Contador should have had well over a 5 minute lead going into the ITT. But he'd been reigned in on the pyrenees.
His team did a heck of a lot more to support him day after day than it did to hold him back.
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 11:41 AM   #19
sykerocker 
Senior Member
 
sykerocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Montpelier, VA
Bikes: The keepers: 1960 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 1973 Lambert, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport, 2 - 1988 Rossins
Posts: 3,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erader View Post
i suspect you are right. lance regretted gifting ventoux to pantani.

"no gifts".

i guess that only applies to giving, not receiving.

what a boring, politically correct stage.

ed rader
Unfortunately, I'm at work so I've only been able to follow the race on the Velonews feed, rather than actually watching it on Versus, but it appears that Contador did a good job towards getting the maximum possible finish for Astana, him in first, Lance in third.

So what's the problem with that? I always thought that's how cycling teams were supposed to operate?

And it certainly wasn't boring. If I could find lines of type on a screen exciting, the stage wasn't boring.
__________________
Syke

"No wonder we keep testing positive in their bicycle races. Everyone looks like they're full of testosterone when they're surrounded by Frenchmen." ---Argus Hamilton
sykerocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 11:43 AM   #20
julian
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: julian, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykerocker View Post
Unfortunately, I'm at work so I've only been able to follow the race on the Velonews feed, rather than actually watching it on Versus, but it appears that Contador did a good job towards getting the maximum possible finish for Astana, him in first, Lance in third.

So what's the problem with that? I always thought that's how cycling teams were supposed to operate?

And it certainly wasn't boring. If I could find lines of type on a screen exciting, the stage wasn't boring.
Because Ed hates Armstrong. It is all about Contador.
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 11:46 AM   #21
Blah Blah
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think if Contador was from Texas this thread would not even exist.
Blah Blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 11:56 AM   #22
Lazyass
Senior Member
 
Lazyass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NC
Bikes:
Posts: 5,059
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
When LeMond is crying about you and throwing accusations, you know you're a great champion.
Lazyass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 11:57 AM   #23
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Bikes:
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykerocker View Post
Unfortunately, I'm at work so I've only been able to follow the race on the Velonews feed, rather than actually watching it on Versus, but it appears that Contador did a good job towards getting the maximum possible finish for Astana, him in first, Lance in third.

So what's the problem with that? I always thought that's how cycling teams were supposed to operate?

And it certainly wasn't boring. If I could find lines of type on a screen exciting, the stage wasn't boring.
how would winning the stage affect the third podium spot? armstrong was racing for third and he was clearly stronger than wiggins or frank schleck. wiggins was barely hanging on and armstrong easily handled frank schleck.

since when has a stage win on a finish like ventoux been a bad thing for the yellow jersey on the penultimate stage of the tour de france?

only in 2009.......

like you said, you haven't seen the race yet........................

ed rader
erader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 12:00 PM   #24
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Bikes:
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian View Post
Because Ed hates Armstrong. It is all about Contador.
no, i dislike armstrong who talks out of both sides of his mouth and has used this TDF to serve his own purposes. i don't hate the guy.

ed rader
erader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 12:02 PM   #25
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Bikes:
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian View Post
That was a whole different ballgame. Did Armstrong have a team mate to protect that year from slipping off the podium?
you probably don't know anything about that race i'm sure.

ed rader
erader is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:06 AM.