Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-09, 01:21 AM   #1
DenisMenchov
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Armstrong is the true winner by raising awarness for Cancer.

I think Armstrong did what he came out to do. While he would of liked to win supposedly, he definitely has raised more awareness for livestrong that's for sure in the TDF. People don't get it, this guy isn't just riding for himself, he is riding for everyone out there struggling with cancer. But he understands the better he does in cycling, the more people will watch him, so raising awareness and finishing strong goes hand in hand. He isn't just a 7 time TDF Champion, but he is also a humanitarian.
DenisMenchov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 01:36 AM   #2
StalkerZERO
Senior Member
 
StalkerZERO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisMenchov View Post
I think Armstrong did what he came out to do. While he would of liked to win supposedly, he definitely has raised more awareness for livestrong that's for sure in the TDF. People don't get it, this guy isn't just riding for himself, he is riding for everyone out there struggling with cancer. But he understands the better he does in cycling, the more people will watch him, so raising awareness and finishing strong goes hand in hand. He isn't just a 7 time TDF Champion, but he is also a humanitarian.
His 3rd place finish is more of an impact than Contador's 1st place finish.....in my opinion.
StalkerZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 04:30 AM   #3
ajwray
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you look at the Livestrong website or his twitter feed it is obvious what he means to some people that can relate to him and his cancer experience. It's too bad that there are those that would rather tear him down than acknowledge his presence of hope in addition to what he brings to the world of cycling. Here's to TRS and raising the bar for next year on all fronts.
ajwray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 05:27 AM   #4
Garthr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: where
Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil
Posts: 1,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do not believe Armstrong should be put on any pedestal, nor do I believe he knocked down for his efforts.

Neither winner or loser .

He is but a human being . . like all of us.


Hope, is a kind of fools gold. It's like walking down a dark alley in the middle of the night . . . . and whistling as we go to in an attempt to hide from our fears. There are no monsters "out there". . . the monsters lie within us. It takes courage to embrace the fear. . . to stick with the present moment, because it's all we have.
Garthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 06:27 AM   #5
JohnnyBee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthr View Post
I do not believe Armstrong should be put on any pedestal, nor do I believe he knocked down for his efforts.

Neither winner or loser .

He is but a human being . . like all of us.


Hope, is a kind of fools gold. It's like walking down a dark alley in the middle of the night . . . . and whistling as we go to in an attempt to hide from our fears. There are no monsters "out there". . . the monsters lie within us. It takes courage to embrace the fear. . . to stick with the present moment, because it's all we have.


I'll bet big money on the fact that you would Llooove to be able
to ride beside him in the Tour. I for one, would love too.

Yep, we are all Human. Some of are just more capable.




Johnnybee.
JohnnyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 08:18 AM   #6
Laggard
Lance Hater
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 4,403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Fortunately the TDF is a bike race, not an awarness ride or fundrasier.
Laggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 08:19 AM   #7
Noobz0r
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wish Howzit could read / reply to this topic
Noobz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 08:39 AM   #8
julian
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: julian, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
Fortunately the TDF is a bike race, not an awarness ride or fundrasier.
It can be both, and for many people that is a good thing.
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 08:47 AM   #9
Garthr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: where
Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil
Posts: 1,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobz0r View Post
I wish Howzit could read / reply to this topic
Why, so he can make some more snide remarks?

We don't need more of that.
Garthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 08:52 AM   #10
julian
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: julian, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthr View Post
Why, so he can make some more snide remarks?

We don't need more of that.
Well I am sort of thinking Bellweatherman has filled his shoes, but then again they may be one in the same.
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 08:54 AM   #11
Noobz0r
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It was a joke, I didn't like wading through his drivel either
Noobz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 09:16 AM   #12
telebianchi
Senior Member
 
telebianchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2010 Giant Trance, 2006 K2 Mod 4.0, 2010 Schwinn Madison
Posts: 1,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
Fortunately the TDF is a bike race, not an awarness ride or fundrasier.
Not a a ride for awareness or fundraising? Tell that to Garmin, HTC, Columbia, FdJ, Skill, Shimano, Cd'E, Liquigas, Skoda, Rabobank, etc., etc.

Actually, I think what Lance has done for raising awareness, funds and pushing programs to fight cancer and help its victims is amazing and should truly be lauded. But I was glad to see that aside from the Livestrong logo on his helmet and bike and a few interview comments that there was not some huge push of Livestrong. It left the race be the race. I'm sure that this mission is part of his motivation but I'll bet if you interviewed the full peloton that you would find other inspirational stories.
telebianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 11:18 AM   #13
hdog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Amerikills
Bikes:
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got to learn more about cancer. I never even heard about it until this year's Tour.

Thank you Lance.
hdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 01:49 PM   #14
bratton
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: ridley, pa
Bikes: felt f85
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you guys are re-tar-ded
bratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 02:31 PM   #15
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Bikes:
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
Fortunately the TDF is a bike race, not an awarness ride or fundrasier.
yep. you can raise awareness and do good things without be a backstabbing a-hole.

ed rader
erader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 02:36 PM   #16
julian
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: julian, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erader View Post
yep. you can raise awareness and do good things without be a backstabbing a-hole.

ed rader
Oh, you are back from the wedding in a cheery mood today aren't you.

Well you are accomplishing 1 of the 3 above things, and I think you know what I mean!
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 02:47 PM   #17
lowlife1975
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdog View Post
I've got to learn more about cancer. I never even heard about it until this year's Tour.

Thank you Lance.
haha... i also think its ridiculous that the media always credits lance with "raising awareness" for cancer... lance is an inspiration to many people that are battling cancer... but this has nothing to do with awareness.
lowlife1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 02:51 PM   #18
julian
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: julian, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlife1975 View Post
haha... i also think its ridiculous that the media always credits lance with "raising awareness" for cancer... lance is an inspiration to many people that are battling cancer... but this has nothing to do with awareness.
He is one of many raising awareness, plus his work helps raise money for research.
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 02:53 PM   #19
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Bikes:
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian View Post
Oh, you are back from the wedding in a cheery mood today aren't you.

Well you are accomplishing 1 of the 3 above things, and I think you know what I mean!
when i saw the interview this morning with lance i wanted to puke. when asked about contador he made that face and declined to comment and said "people can see what's going on."

what i heard was "paled around with terrorists".

lance is a self-centered, self-serving a-hole.

ed rader
erader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 02:59 PM   #20
julian
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: julian, ca
Bikes:
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erader View Post
when i saw the interview this morning with lance i wanted to puke. when asked about contador he made that face and declined to comment and said "people can see what's going on."

what i heard was "paled around with terrorists".

lance is a self-centered, self-serving a-hole.

ed rader
When most of the rest of us read your posts, they make us want to puke, eat some more, then puke all over again!
It must be lovely being you. Anyone who harbors such hatred against someone that they have never met needs some help.
Good bye Eddie.
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 03:00 PM   #21
Garthr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: where
Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil
Posts: 1,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erader View Post
when i saw the interview this morning with lance i wanted to puke. when asked about contador he made that face and declined to comment and said "people can see what's going on."

what i heard was "paled around with terrorists".

lance is a self-centered, self-serving a-hole.

ed rader


Well Ed . . . I can say this in all seriousness and humility . . . . it takes one to know one.
Garthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 03:08 PM   #22
robotkiller
Senior Member
 
robotkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Bikes: Cannondale Capo and Rize
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlife1975 View Post
haha... i also think its ridiculous that the media always credits lance with "raising awareness" for cancer... lance is an inspiration to many people that are battling cancer... but this has nothing to do with awareness.
Bringing attention to Cancer is, by definition, increasing awareness.

I've dealt with it professionally, as a physician, and personally. My wife actually sobbed through the last thirty minutes of Ventoux. Lance may very well be a jerk in real life and should never be exempt from the responsibilities of being a decent human being, but he has done an exceptional job as an advocate for funding and research and, hence, "awareness". Just my opinion, but there really is not much more to say about it.
robotkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 03:12 PM   #23
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Bikes:
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian View Post
When most of the rest of us read your posts, they make us want to puke, eat some more, then puke all over again!
It must be lovely being you. Anyone who harbors such hatred against someone that they have never met needs some help.
Good bye Eddie.
i don't hate the guy but i do think he's an a-hole and wished he would have stayed on the olson twins and stayed off the bike .

ed rader
erader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 03:16 PM   #24
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Bikes:
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotkiller View Post
Bringing attention to Cancer is, by definition, increasing awareness.

I've dealt with it professionally, as a physician, and personally. My wife actually sobbed through the last thirty minutes of Ventoux. Lance may very well be a jerk in real life and should never be exempt from the responsibilities of being a decent human being, but he has done an exceptional job as an advocate for funding and research and, hence, "awareness". Just my opinion, but there really is not much more to say about it.
my thought is a good deed is a good deed no matter what your motivation. but to watch lance attempt to usurp the command of the best stage racer in the world and swiftboat the guy while hiring away astana team members for his own team and make me want to puke.

could you imagine if someone had done that to lance when he was captain of postal or discovery? well you don't have to dig to deep to see how he treats people that defy him.

so yeah lance has done alot of good but he's still an a-hole.

ed rader

Last edited by erader; 07-26-09 at 03:27 PM.
erader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 03:20 PM   #25
prettyshady
12345
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: south france
Bikes:
Posts: 1,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree with the op, he's done great work. Today on Live TV, Laurent Fignon broke down in tears when speaking about Lance and the work he had done raising awarness for Cancer.
prettyshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:23 AM.