Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55
  1. #1
    Legs of Steel chrisvu05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On my bike
    My Bikes
    Pegoretti Marcelo, Cannondale six13
    Posts
    1,826
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Is the doping storm coming?


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Near Sacramento
    Posts
    4,875
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw that. It'll be interesting to find out who the culprits are...
    -------

    Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.

  3. #3
    Winter commuting mode Tequila Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Off the back
    My Bikes
    2007 Litespeed Vortex, 1970 Falcon Olympic, 2004 Specilized Enduro Expert, 2006 Langster, 2007 Opus Stella
    Posts
    2,743
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe... consider the dopers that were eventually caught in last years tour;

    Michael Schummacher schooling FC in both time trials
    Bernard Kohl, average pro cyclist, out of no where in polka dots,
    Ricardo Ricco's remarkable climbing ability
    and tours before that, Landis remarkable stage 17

    So, as I reflect on this years tour, was there anything really out of the oridinary in this year?

  4. #4
    Legs of Steel chrisvu05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On my bike
    My Bikes
    Pegoretti Marcelo, Cannondale six13
    Posts
    1,826
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Joe View Post
    Maybe... consider the dopers that were eventually caught in last years tour;

    Michael Schummacher schooling FC in both time trials
    Bernard Kohl, average pro cyclist, out of no where in polka dots,
    Ricardo Ricco's remarkable climbing ability
    and tours before that, Landis remarkable stage 17

    So, as I reflect on this years tour, was there anything really out of the oridinary in this year?
    Well one could argue Contador's ride up Arcalis was out of the ordinary and Wiggins new found climbing abilities....but both have there explanations.

  5. #5
    Senior Member maddyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Ky. and FL.
    My Bikes
    KHS steel SS
    Posts
    3,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe Conti and A. Schleck will be dis qualified. That would be funny. LAnce backs into an 8th TDF
    Not too much to say here

  6. #6
    Legs of Steel chrisvu05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On my bike
    My Bikes
    Pegoretti Marcelo, Cannondale six13
    Posts
    1,826
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    Maybe Conti and A. Schleck will be dis qualified. That would be funny. LAnce backs into an 8th TDF
    If Contador is disqualified they will ban the whole Astana squad so Lance would be banned I'd imagine.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    738
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Joe View Post
    Maybe... consider the dopers that were eventually caught in last years tour;

    Michael Schummacher schooling FC in both time trials
    Bernard Kohl, average pro cyclist, out of no where in polka dots,
    Ricardo Ricco's remarkable climbing ability
    and tours before that, Landis remarkable stage 17

    So, as I reflect on this years tour, was there anything really out of the oridinary in this year?
    Contador's time trialing? Specifically the final time trial.

  8. #8
    Elitist Troglodyte DMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    My Bikes
    03 Raleigh Professional (steel)
    Posts
    6,896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    said that doping products were found when authorities searched the refuse and garbage left behind by teams.

    “We found heavy drugs, including one that is used by diabetics to produce insulin,” he said.
    Yeah? So what? There are lot more guys on the team than the riders. Maybe one of the soigneurs is diabetic? Others are probably eating roofies to stay awake. This statement by itself means nothing. A reputable journal would have made note of this point.
    Stupidity got us into this mess - why can't it get us out?

    - Will Rogers

  9. #9
    Senior Member kwrides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    2007 Orbea Onix, 2007 Windsor The Hour, 2008 Kona Jake
    Posts
    3,199
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF View Post
    Yeah? So what? There are lot more guys on the team than the riders. Maybe one of the soigneurs is diabetic? Others are probably eating roofies to stay awake. This statement by itself means nothing. A reputable journal would have made note of this point.
    Says the guy who's avatar says "Free Floyd"

    I can hear the excuses coming already. Let's see...no, no, that LA blood on that needle does not prove that needle ever went in Lance. In fact, there was this one day when he was taking a shower...and when he got out he slipped because the evil French don't use shower curtains! Yeah, that's the ticket! And, and, and then when he slipped he got a bloody nose, and, uh, uh, uh, some maid must have taken a needle into the room and put the blood on the needle and then thrown it out and alerted the disreputable French press as to the location of the needle... yeah!
    Quote Originally Posted by dewaday View Post
    I'm 50 years old. My parents find cycling 6-8 hours completely incomprehensible and self indulgent. Of course they're right, but I continue to ignore them as a form of rebellion.

  10. #10
    Elitist Troglodyte DMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    My Bikes
    03 Raleigh Professional (steel)
    Posts
    6,896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might try to re-train your brain. Most are capable of logic...



    The Free Floyd title (not avatar) is a joke, btw, though I do think he got screwed.
    Stupidity got us into this mess - why can't it get us out?

    - Will Rogers

  11. #11
    Big Blade Howzit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    950
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha! Fingers crossed Lance gets busted.

    I was extremely suspicoius when after having been dropped on all the mountain stages, he annaounced before the Ventoux stage that "he will fine fine"
    And that all he needed was 1 second to stay in second place.

    Im not sure how all of a sudden he can boast such confidence when he was clearly dropping on every climb....
    Quote Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
    Weren't you supposed to disappear after the TDF was over?
    Quote Originally Posted by calamarichris View Post
    But then I'll never understand how taking a dump became precedent either. Why don't they call it leaving a dump? I mean... you're not really taking it anywhere.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    julian, ca
    Posts
    598
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Howzit View Post
    Ha! Fingers crossed Lance gets busted.

    I was extremely suspicoius when after having been dropped on all the mountain stages, he annaounced before the Ventoux stage that "he will fine fine"
    And that all he needed was 1 second to stay in second place.

    Im not sure how all of a sudden he can boast such confidence when he was clearly dropping on every climb....
    Huh? Define fine fine?
    And yes he was clearing dropping (other riders) on every climb.

  13. #13
    Big Blade Howzit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    950
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by julian View Post
    Huh? Define fine fine?
    And yes he was clearing dropping (other riders) on every climb.
    Haha, you are cute and funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
    Weren't you supposed to disappear after the TDF was over?
    Quote Originally Posted by calamarichris View Post
    But then I'll never understand how taking a dump became precedent either. Why don't they call it leaving a dump? I mean... you're not really taking it anywhere.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    julian, ca
    Posts
    598
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Howzit View Post
    Haha, you are cute and funny.
    Thanks!

  15. #15
    Body by Guinness cjbruin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)
    Posts
    3,326
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisvu05 View Post
    If Contador is disqualified they will ban the whole Astana squad so Lance would be banned I'd imagine.
    I don't believe that is correct. If it was during the tour, they may have asked them to leave...more likely that Astana would have withdrawn. I don't think it's within the rules to disqualify the whole team based on one rider's results. Did all of Phonak get disqualified because Landis? I'm not sure but I don't think so.
    Fredo, you're my older brother and I love you...but don't ever take sides, with anyone, against the family again...ever.

  16. #16
    Elitist Troglodyte DMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    My Bikes
    03 Raleigh Professional (steel)
    Posts
    6,896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Howzit View Post
    And that all he needed was 1 second to stay in second place.
    Huh? He wasn't in second place.
    Stupidity got us into this mess - why can't it get us out?

    - Will Rogers

  17. #17
    Legs of Steel chrisvu05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On my bike
    My Bikes
    Pegoretti Marcelo, Cannondale six13
    Posts
    1,826
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbruin View Post
    I don't believe that is correct. If it was during the tour, they may have asked them to leave...more likely that Astana would have withdrawn. I don't think it's within the rules to disqualify the whole team based on one rider's results. Did all of Phonak get disqualified because Landis? I'm not sure but I don't think so.
    Phonak hadn't just been busted for doping. This is a unique circumstance. Astana was banned for doping and the whole team was replaced. From what I understand despite it being an entirely different team Astana as a team could still be banned if there is any hint at doping. I honestly think if someone on Astana is caught after the fact that all of Astana's results will be nullified.

  18. #18
    Senior Member erader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    silicon valley
    Posts
    1,774
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=chrisvu05;9373201]Phonak hadn't just been busted for doping. This is a unique circumstance. Astana was banned for doping and the whole team was replaced. From what I understand despite it being an entirely different team Astana as a team could still be banned if there is any hint at doping. I honestly think if someone on Astana is caught after the fact that all of Astana's results will be nullified.[/QUOTE]

    can you cite a precedent for your belief?

    ed rader
    Amgen Tour of California

    http://erader.zenfolio.com/f561244030

  19. #19
    Big Blade Howzit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    950
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF View Post
    Huh? He wasn't in second place.
    Oh dear, no, no.
    I meant that Armstrong was seen saying that if he gained time before Ventoux in the Time trial, leapfrogging Scleck, all he would need was 1 second advantage to keep second place to Paris.

    Sorry, I should have included that in my original post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
    Weren't you supposed to disappear after the TDF was over?
    Quote Originally Posted by calamarichris View Post
    But then I'll never understand how taking a dump became precedent either. Why don't they call it leaving a dump? I mean... you're not really taking it anywhere.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisvu05 View Post
    Well one could argue Contador's ride up Arcalis was out of the ordinary and Wiggins new found climbing abilities....but both have there explanations.
    What was so special about Contador on Arcalis? He only gained 20 seconds on his rivals, which was in line with his other mountain performances.

  21. #21
    Legs of Steel chrisvu05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On my bike
    My Bikes
    Pegoretti Marcelo, Cannondale six13
    Posts
    1,826
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=erader;9373382]
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisvu05 View Post
    Phonak hadn't just been busted for doping. This is a unique circumstance. Astana was banned for doping and the whole team was replaced. From what I understand despite it being an entirely different team Astana as a team could still be banned if there is any hint at doping. I honestly think if someone on Astana is caught after the fact that all of Astana's results will be nullified.[/QUOTE]

    can you cite a precedent for your belief?

    ed rader
    The below link is in regards to 2008 Astana

    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...ing&id=3243633

    "ASO, which organizes the Tour, said Astana won't be invited to any of its 2008 events. That includes Paris-Nice, Paris-Roubaix, Liege-Bastogne-Liege, the Fleche Wallonne, Paris-Tours and others.

    Astana wasn't among the 20 teams selected Wednesday by ASO for the March 9-16 Paris-Nice race.

    In 2006, Astana-Wurth couldn't field the minimum six cyclists required -- after the implicated five riders were withdrawn -- and pulled out on the eve of the Tour.

    ASO said Astana could be allowed back in the future if it has a 2008 season "without suspicions."

    Bruyneel stated..."We have done everything to change the dynamics of the team," Bruyneel said. "New management, new riders, new philosophy. Only the name of the sponsor remained.

    "Many other teams, with similar suspicious pasts that did not change management or structure, can participate without problems. Where is the consistency? Is Tour de France not losing all credibility now?"


    I truly believe if anyone on Astana was caught doping the whole team's results would be nullified. Besides I think if Contador was caught doping (as this post was initially talking about) they would be catching the rest of Astana as well.

  22. #22
    Legs of Steel chrisvu05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On my bike
    My Bikes
    Pegoretti Marcelo, Cannondale six13
    Posts
    1,826
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolomiti View Post
    What was so special about Contador on Arcalis? He only gained 20 seconds on his rivals, which was in line with his other mountain performances.
    True but if i'm not mistaken the rate at which he climbed was the fastest climbing rate in recorded history. But like I said earlier there are explanations for that...
    Last edited by chrisvu05; 07-28-09 at 06:05 PM.

  23. #23
    Senior Member erader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    silicon valley
    Posts
    1,774
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=chrisvu05;9373586]
    Quote Originally Posted by erader View Post

    The below link is in regards to 2008 Astana

    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...ing&id=3243633

    "ASO, which organizes the Tour, said Astana won't be invited to any of its 2008 events. That includes Paris-Nice, Paris-Roubaix, Liege-Bastogne-Liege, the Fleche Wallonne, Paris-Tours and others.

    Astana wasn't among the 20 teams selected Wednesday by ASO for the March 9-16 Paris-Nice race.

    In 2006, Astana-Wurth couldn't field the minimum six cyclists required -- after the implicated five riders were withdrawn -- and pulled out on the eve of the Tour.

    ASO said Astana could be allowed back in the future if it has a 2008 season "without suspicions."

    Bruyneel stated..."We have done everything to change the dynamics of the team," Bruyneel said. "New management, new riders, new philosophy. Only the name of the sponsor remained.

    "Many other teams, with similar suspicious pasts that did not change management or structure, can participate without problems. Where is the consistency? Is Tour de France not losing all credibility now?"


    I truly believe if anyone on Astana was caught doping the whole team's results would be nullified. Besides I think if Contador was caught doping (as this post was initially talking about) they would be catching the rest of Astana as well.
    specifically, can you show me where a team's results have been nullified because one rider on the team was busted for doping?

    ed rader
    Amgen Tour of California

    http://erader.zenfolio.com/f561244030

  24. #24
    mountain troll deadly downtube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    santa cruz mountains
    My Bikes
    the hummer brand mountain bike
    Posts
    1,126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If AC can beat Fabu in a 40k time trial, weighing 40lbs less than Fabu, he could've climbed twice as fast if he wanted to look like an extraterrestrial. Which explains why he never looked like he was breathing hard while Andy's face was covered in pain.

  25. #25
    Senior Member erader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    silicon valley
    Posts
    1,774
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deadly downtube View Post
    If AC can beat Fabu in a 40k time trial, weighing 40lbs less than Fabu, he could've climbed twice as fast if he wanted to look like an extraterrestrial. Which explains why he never looked like he was breathing hard while Andy's face was covered in pain.
    who won the first TT when both were fresh?

    ed rader
    Amgen Tour of California

    http://erader.zenfolio.com/f561244030

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •