Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who was the greatest American cyclist: LeMond or Armstrong?

Voters
176. You may not vote on this poll
  • Greg LeMond

    49 27.84%
  • Lance Armstrong

    127 72.16%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 91
  1. #1
    Are you with me Flash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR Advanced SL, Blue T-14 TT bike
    Posts
    1,307
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Revisit the greatest American cyclist debate: LeMond or Armstrong

    The new Bicycling magazine has an in-depth article on LeMond, very interesting read, gives us a chance to revisit the greatest American cyclist debate. Running along the bottom of the article is a timeline "LeMond through the years."

    It's mind blowing to read of LeMond's accomplishments -- as a very young man and when he's at his peak in the Tour. Some accomplishments of note:

    -- wins just about every junior championship that matters
    -- 1985: could have won TDF but rode in support of Hinault
    -- 1986: wins TDF despite merciless attacks by Hinault
    -- 1987: loses 3/4 of blood supply during hunting accident, breaks two ribs, collapses lung, has pellets lodged in heart, liver, intestines, diaphragm, back, leg, foot, arm and hand. Nearly dies.
    -- 1989: wins TDF on final day TT, overcoming 50-second deficit to finish 8 seconds ahead of nearest rival. Closest TDF in history.

    ** first racer to wear HRM in competition, first to use power meter in competition, introduced aero bars to the world.

    Armstrong has accomplished quite a lot, but for my money LeMond was the greatest American cyclist. There is a difficult-to-quantify grittiness about LeMond's career that puts him up top for me. Before LeMond came along, I was riding a Schwinn Scrambler.

    I don't see a link to the article online, but it's worth buying the magazine for the read. Just to be reminded of how much work this guy did to get to the top -- and stay there. And yes, the post-cycling-career circus is covered as well.

    Please give us your thoughts.

    cheers
    Last edited by Flash; 07-31-09 at 07:58 AM.
    ---------------------------------
    must...teach...lesson.

  2. #2
    Senior Member mustang1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    London, UK
    My Bikes
    2006 Allez, 2012 Mares
    Posts
    2,681
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LA did not take drugs.
    1992 Peugeot mtb, gone
    2006 Specialized Allez
    2008 Specialized HotWalk, son's bike
    2009 Specialized Tricross, gone
    2010 Ridgeback Honey, daughter's bike
    2012 Islabikes Beinn, daughter's 2nd bike
    2012 Focus Mares
    2012 Cannondale SuperSix

  3. #3
    Super Moderator BillyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    My Bikes
    Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92; Schwinn Continental '76.
    Posts
    11,525
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the long run GL will always come out on the short end of any debate, if for nothing else but because he's from a day gone by and LA is from today. Even if their accomplishments were dead even GL would be at a disadvantage because of this.

    All the rest of the subjective stuff and conjectural stuff is just personal opinions, and in the long run -- by the end of this thread -- nothing will be settled . . . . just a lot of personal opinions vehemently expressed.

    Sports debate never make any sense.

    Now let me find a good seat and whip up some refreshments.
    Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
    Titanium Division

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would a peak Lemond win against a peak Armstrong?Lemond had his peak in 85 or 86 Armstrongs peak was proberly between 99 to 05.I honestly think Lemond would have won just by a few short seconds.

  5. #5
    Certifiable Bike "Expert"
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,588
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    92.5 ml/kg/min VO2 max... the guy was a freak!
    I don't even use the offensive term "Fred." -- Sheldon "All Cyclists Are My Friends" Brown (1944-2008)

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    07 Giant OCR 3
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't vote for pcad?

  7. #7
    South Carolina Ed
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Greer, SC
    My Bikes
    Family pool bikes - 73 Holdsworth Super Mistral, 79(?) Macario, 86 Bianchi Brava, 93 Viner Nemo, 07 Bottecchia Euro Team, 07 Windsor Fens, 07 Tommasso Mistral
    Posts
    2,983
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7 TdF wins, 3rd this year after 3+ year layoff. Coming from a very dirty sport full of cheats, Lance's unbelieveable personal story and humanism have elevated him in a way that is possibly unique. The only other athlete I can can think of that compares on a humanist note is Arthur Ashe. Lemond is a comparative footnote.

  8. #8
    Up on the Down Side CyLowe97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Chicago(ish)
    My Bikes
    '05 Felt F65, '97 GT Karakoram
    Posts
    6,325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mods, please move this thread to Professional Cycling subforum for a proper execution and burial.

  9. #9
    Senior Member embankmentlb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North, Ga.
    My Bikes
    Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's
    Posts
    1,536
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Greg Lemond. He truly broke new ground for an American cyclist. It's sad that people like Jonathan Boyar, get no respect. With that being said, I wish Lemond would stop with all the criticism & move on with life. Armstrong, love him or hate him, is cycling. He is good for a sport that needs his personality. Lemond wins based on pure talent but Armstrong wins on shear determination.

  10. #10
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,927
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabefaster View Post
    Can't vote for pcad?
    You can certainly make a campaign contribution. PM me for Paypal instructions.

  11. #11
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CyLowe97 View Post
    Mods, please move this thread to Professional Cycling subforum for a proper execution and burial.

  12. #12
    Senior Member bigtea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,639
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lemond certainly has the claim for the greatest cycling finish ever...any race, any era.

    I watched the '89 finish "live", so to speak. At that time the Tour was covered by ABC Wide World of Sports in a one show summary format that was broadcast on the same day as the final stage.

    On TV, during the actual race, ABC was broadcasting the final round of the British Open. The golf announcers interrupted their regular commentary to report the incredible finish and victory by Lemond. Imagine, the British Open coverage being interrupted by a bike race result. At that time the Tour was about as popular as rugby.

    After the British Open ended ABC went to the Tour coverage. Even though I knew the outcome it was absolutely riveting to hear Phil (and I think Paul too) broadcast that last, short, amazing time trial finish.
    I will make you suffer on the downhills with my superior body weight.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LA all the way. He will win the Leadville 100 this year too. LA is also a gifted triathlete and marathon runner and while these are tangential items I think it shows him to be the better all around athlete. Plus, he's saving lives not rehashing the past in a bitter way. Don't get me wrong, I do like GL and what he did. Wish he'd just move on and help build the sport.

  14. #14
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,927
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nobody will ever beat Lemond winning the '89 TdF by 8 seconds, and to this day, that ride is the FASTEST individual TT average speed ever recorded @ the Tour de France. That was over the top. If you tried to sell that script to Hollywood, they'd reject it as too far fetched. I'll never forget Fignon collapsing on the ground in tears when he realized Lemond had beaten him. What a race.

  15. #15
    Are you with me Flash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR Advanced SL, Blue T-14 TT bike
    Posts
    1,307
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtea View Post
    Lemond certainly has the claim for the greatest cycling finish ever...any race, any era.

    I watched the '89 finish "live", so to speak. At that time the Tour was covered by ABC Wide World of Sports in a one show summary format that was broadcast on the same day as the final stage.

    On TV, during the actual race, ABC was broadcasting the final round of the British Open. The golf announcers interrupted their regular commentary to report the incredible finish and victory by Lemond. Imagine, the British Open coverage being interrupted by a bike race result. At that time the Tour was about as popular as rugby.

    After the British Open ended ABC went to the Tour coverage. Even though I knew the outcome it was absolutely riveting to hear Phil (and I think Paul too) broadcast that last, short, amazing time trial finish.
    Me too. I think it's safe to say we'll never see events align like this again.
    ---------------------------------
    must...teach...lesson.

  16. #16
    Are you with me Flash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR Advanced SL, Blue T-14 TT bike
    Posts
    1,307
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    Nobody will ever beat Lemond winning the '89 TdF by 8 seconds, and to this day, that ride is the FASTEST individual TT average speed ever recorded @ the Tour de France. That was over the top. If you tried to sell that script to Hollywood, they'd reject it as too far fetched. I'll never forget Fignon collapsing on the ground in tears when he realized Lemond had beaten him. What a race.
    I still can't believe that this TT time still stands today. I wonder which bike he rode that day, specs, etc.
    ---------------------------------
    must...teach...lesson.

  17. #17
    Are you with me Flash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR Advanced SL, Blue T-14 TT bike
    Posts
    1,307
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CyLowe97 View Post
    Mods, please move this thread to Professional Cycling subforum for a proper execution and burial.
    Please explain why you are opposed to revisiting this debate. The recent Bicycling magazine article on Lemond is bound to stir debate yet again. Why not discuss it here?
    ---------------------------------
    must...teach...lesson.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,426
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Armstrong has been very good at doing one thing, repeatedly winning the Tour de France. But bicycle racing is not exclusively the Tour de France. There's also the Giro and the Vuelta which are arguably as difficult as the tour. In addition, there are the many European classics.

    Lance Armstrong has essentially ignored the Vuelta and the Giro and the other great European classics to focus exclusively on the tour. Because of that, he will never be in the same league as Mercx or Hinault, who in addition to winning multiple tours, also won the Giro or the Vuelta in the same years that they won the tour, as well as other major classics in the same year that they won the tour. And then there is the ultimate challenge, the hour record, which Mercx held for over 20 years and which Armstrong has never attempted.

    Comparing Armstrong and Lemonds records, I would say they're just about even. Le Monde rode and won or placed high in many more classics than Armstrong did, which more than makes up for the fact that Armstrong has more Tour wins.
    Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

    1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
    1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
    1988 Ducati 750 F1

  19. #19
    Senior Member embankmentlb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North, Ga.
    My Bikes
    Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's
    Posts
    1,536
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lemond's victories were mostly "seat of the pants" efforts, more like a good boxing match. A constant battle for control through the entire race (85, 86 & 89). Lemond also won with very little help from a team. That's the difference in Lemond & Armstrong. Armstrong calculated every move & surrounded himself with a super strong team, more like a game of chess.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,149
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My take is that as athletes, they were probably very close in ability in their prime. As far as building a team, promoting the sport, creating excitement, etc., you can't argue with Lance's success. Much of that was a result of beating cancer and getting around that cause. While Greg's hunting accident rebound is amazing, it doesn't have the long-term media impact that Lance's cancer or the power of the Livestrong organization. Lance's story is really unbelievable whether you like the guy or not. In my book, the stuff off the bike is part of being a professional cyclist and Lance's history and actions tip the scales heaviliy in his favor.

  21. #21
    The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    7,249
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The debate is valid... in Professional Cycling, where I am moving this.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

    People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by San Rensho View Post
    Armstrong has been very good at doing one thing, repeatedly winning the Tour de France. But bicycle racing is not exclusively the Tour de France. There's also the Giro and the Vuelta which are arguably as difficult as the tour. In addition, there are the many European classics.

    Lance Armstrong has essentially ignored the Vuelta and the Giro and the other great European classics to focus exclusively on the tour. Because of that, he will never be in the same league as Mercx or Hinault, who in addition to winning multiple tours, also won the Giro or the Vuelta in the same years that they won the tour, as well as other major classics in the same year that they won the tour. And then there is the ultimate challenge, the hour record, which Mercx held for over 20 years and which Armstrong has never attempted.

    Comparing Armstrong and Lemonds records, I would say they're just about even. Le Monde rode and won or placed high in many more classics than Armstrong did, which more than makes up for the fact that Armstrong has more Tour wins.
    Those are very good points you make. I can see an argument for both sides. Were it up to personality and "likeability" I'd have to give the nod to LA still, at least in my book. As far as the ITT I just do NOT get it. You have road conditions, wind...etc. It's like saying the downhill ski record at Whiteface was set in 1990 and never beaten, but the conditions may never be like that. So unless someone ran the IDENTICAL conditions and temperature and similar bike...etc how can you say it's the best ITT?

  23. #23
    Super Moderator BillyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    My Bikes
    Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92; Schwinn Continental '76.
    Posts
    11,525
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see what the problem would be in discussing this thread in road cycling. It's starting to look like road cycling forum is being reserved for wheel comparisons, frame comparisons, gruppo comparisons, HRM comparisons and other such mundane and tiresome topics.

    If you're content with your current bike & components, how many people are interested in these narrow-focused comparison threads, really?
    Last edited by BillyD; 07-31-09 at 08:28 AM.
    Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
    Titanium Division

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,426
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Laminarman View Post
    Those are very good points you make. I can see an argument for both sides. Were it up to personality and "likeability" I'd have to give the nod to LA still, at least in my book. As far as the ITT I just do NOT get it. You have road conditions, wind...etc. It's like saying the downhill ski record at Whiteface was set in 1990 and never beaten, but the conditions may never be like that. So unless someone ran the IDENTICAL conditions and temperature and similar bike...etc how can you say it's the best ITT?
    Without a doubt. Lemond would never win any popularity contests. Lemond is a whiny, butt-insky that is borderline crazy.
    Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

    1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
    1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
    1988 Ducati 750 F1

  25. #25
    Senior Member classic1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    5,019
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -- 1985: could have won TDF but rode in support of Hinault
    speculative, unlikely

    -- 1986: wins TDF despite merciless attacks by Hinault
    ok

    -- 1987: loses 3/4 of blood supply during hunting accident, breaks two ribs, collapses lung, has pellets lodged in heart, liver, intestines, diaphragm, back, leg, foot, arm and hand. Nearly dies.
    his turkey impressions were incredibly realistic

    ** first racer to wear HRM in competition,
    debatable

    introduced aero bars to the world.
    incorrect

    Nobody will ever beat Lemond winning the '89 TdF by 8 seconds, and to this day, that ride is the FASTEST individual TT average speed ever recorded @ the Tour de France.
    technically incorrrect. Boardman and Zabriske have gone faster.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •