Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-09, 10:10 AM   #1
monosierra
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Report: Contador turns down offer to stay with Astana

Alberto Contador doesn’t want to stay at Astana even if Lance Armstrong won’t be around next season.

According to a report in Thursday’s L’Equipe, the two-time Tour de France winner has turned down a multi-million-euro contract extension and is trying to break his remaining year that he has with the Kazakh-backed team.

“Alberto has experienced a season that was psychologically very difficult and now we have to watch out for his future and his tranquility,” said Fran, Contador’s brother and manager, in the French sports daily. “We have nothing against the Kazakhs, but now we have to think about Alberto. Things are too complicated that we can carry on like this. We have to look for a solution with the year’s contract remaining with Alberto.”

Contador turned down a four-year offer worth 4 million Euros per season that would have included his remaining year under his current contract and three more seasons through 2013.

Despite the departure of Armstrong and team boss Johan Bruyneel, who are leaving Astana to form a new team sponsored by RadioShack, Contador wants to turn the page on his turbulent two-year run with Astana.

The imminent return of Alexander Vinokourov from a two-year suspension for blood doping during the 2007 Tour is prompting Contador to look for other options as he considers his future.

According to the Spanish wire service EFE, Contador is looking for a way out of his remaining year with the Kazakh-backed outfit so he can join a new team for 2010.

They reported that sources say Contador has offers from Caisse d’Epargne and Garmin-Slipstream.

http://www.velonews.com/article/9624...ay-with-astana
monosierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 10:17 AM   #2
Shimagnolo
Senior Member
 
Shimagnolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zang's Spur, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 7,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Astana has money???
Shimagnolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 10:17 AM   #3
rogwilco
snob
 
rogwilco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vienna
Bikes:
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good for him. Staying would be stupid, regardless of how much they offered him (who knows if they could even pay?...).
rogwilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 10:35 AM   #4
monosierra
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So the top cyclist of his day makes $4million a year ... fair enough.
monosierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 10:38 AM   #5
redfooj
pluralis majestatis
 
redfooj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: you rope
Bikes: 20 W/st.
Posts: 3,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
wow, that seems like a lot of base money, even for the top rider. would love to see him on CdE or Garmin though
redfooj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 10:44 AM   #6
OrionKhan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes:
Posts: 1,636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
Astana has money???
They have money. In a country like that, its more of matter of who's getting it or what the choose to spend it on.
OrionKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 10:48 AM   #7
Paniolo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: N Dallas, TX
Bikes:
Posts: 830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monosierra View Post
So the top cyclist of his day makes $4million a year ... fair enough.
Last I checked a euro was a little over $1.42. Wow, somewhere north of $5.5 million per year? Sounds high ... but I guess promising it and actually paying it may be 2 different issues with Astana.
Paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 10:56 AM   #8
hocker
Senior Member
 
hocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Denver
Bikes: Road and Mountain
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monosierra View Post
So the top cyclist of his day makes $4million a year ... fair enough.
Is that in Euros? If so, more like 5.7 million USD.
hocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 11:10 AM   #9
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Bikes:
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and just think. a few morons said after the tour that no one would want contador because of his "attitude" and because he wasn't a "team player" .

ed rader
erader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 11:51 AM   #10
monosierra
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
He's the best there is out there, by some distance, and proven in all 3 GTs. Although other teams probably can't match Astana's contract, Contador doesn't strike me as one who puts money about winning. He'll probably choose a team best suited for his trophy chase than one that offers $12 million. Caisse looks like the best option should the Alonos project falls through.

Valverde, Pereiro and Sanchez as domestiques ... pretty good for me. Plus, they all speak Spanish.
monosierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 01:23 PM   #11
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Bikes:
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monosierra View Post
He's the best there is out there, by some distance, and proven in all 3 GTs. Although other teams probably can't match Astana's contract, Contador doesn't strike me as one who puts money about winning. He'll probably choose a team best suited for his trophy chase than one that offers $12 million. Caisse looks like the best option should the Alonos project falls through.

Valverde, Pereiro and Sanchez as domestiques ... pretty good for me. Plus, they all speak Spanish.
contador wants a team that's going to ride for just him.....just like lance's team rode for just him when he won seven tours in a row.

when you're the best that's hardly an unreasonable request. almost any team would hire contador if they could because they all want to win the big races.

ed rader
erader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 01:29 PM   #12
monosierra
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Caisse

Pros:
- Spanish
- Friends with Valverde
- Good supporting riders in Valverde, Pereiro & Sanchez, for starters. Rojas and Uran are competent too.

Cons:
- Weak TTT
monosierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 01:32 PM   #13
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Bikes:
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monosierra View Post
Caisse

Pros:
- Spanish
- Friends with Valverde
- Good supporting riders in Valverde, Pereiro & Sanchez, for starters. Rojas and Uran are competent too.

Cons:
- Weak TTT
it seems like a good fit. i'd like to see contador go to garmin. you think garmin got clowned this year... if radioshack fields a better team (likely) it'll just get worse next year.

i think if contador brings along paulinho and zubeldia and picks and chooses support riders from garmin they'll have a formidable team too....and maybe we'll see him in the ATOC next year .

ed rader
erader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 01:38 PM   #14
monosierra
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erader View Post
it seems like a good fit. i'd like to see contador go to garmin. you think garmin got clowned this year if radioshack fields a better team (likely) it'll just get worse next year.

i think if contador brings along paulinho and zubeldia and picks and chooses support riders from garmin they'll have a formidable team too....and maybe we'll see him in the ATOC next year .

ed rader
He can certainly count on VdV to help him out. The question is, will he trust American team mates again? He had a bad time not only with LA, but LL as well.

Garmin certainly needs a star rider soon. Whereas Caisse has been with Caisse for a decade, Garmin might not enjoy such loyal sponsors.

But if Contador comes, I'm sure Wiggins will leave to topline Sky. Garmin is in a perilous position - TRS might be poaching its riders as well!
monosierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 01:42 PM   #15
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte
 
DMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas
Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)
Posts: 6,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's still a big chunk of change, even for the best rider in the world. To sign him for that amount and still have enough for a decent team, some sponsor is going to have to cough up more beans than anticipated. Yet Contador is making a lousy corporate spokesman so far so that may not be sure-fire thing.

Besides, I thought his contract was with Bruyneel, not with Astana?
__________________
Stupidity got us into this mess - why can't it get us out?

- Will Rogers
DMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 01:45 PM   #16
monosierra
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF View Post
That's still a big chunk of change, even for the best rider in the world. To sign him for that amount and still have enough for a decent team, some sponsor is going to have to cough up more beans than anticipated. Yet Contador is making a lousy corporate spokesman so far so that may not be sure-fire thing.

Besides, I thought his contract was with Bruyneel, not with Astana?
Can anyone explain what that last part means? I've heard about it before, but I've no idea how that works.

But more to the point, JB will want nothing to do with AC now that he's back with LA again.

Contador ... well, he did make a terrible SIDI ad in which he leered at the camera with a SIDI in hand. He's not a bad looking fellow. With better photography, he might just be a good spokesman in the Spanish market - after the football stars and Nadal, of course.
monosierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 01:50 PM   #17
LAJ 
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo
Posts: 9,970
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Contador will never be happy at Garmin, TRS, or Columbia. To be on an American team, one has to have some semblance of a personality. It would also help to be somewhat appreciative of the folks that throw the money your way. You know, sort of like a Nascar driver.

I see none of that from AC. He should continue his course on a Euro based team. They would all be happier.
LAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 01:52 PM   #18
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Bikes:
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF View Post
That's still a big chunk of change, even for the best rider in the world. To sign him for that amount and still have enough for a decent team, some sponsor is going to have to cough up more beans than anticipated. Yet Contador is making a lousy corporate spokesman so far so that may not be sure-fire thing.

Besides, I thought his contract was with Bruyneel, not with Astana?
just because astana made the offer does not mean that's the going rate. contador has already said that money was not the main consideration: he wants a team that's 100% behind him.

ed rader
erader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 01:53 PM   #19
monosierra
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alberto Contador, you've heard the Forum, join Caisse - NOW!!
monosierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 01:55 PM   #20
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Bikes:
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
Contador will never be happy at Garmin, TRS, or Columbia. To be on an American team, one has to have some semblance of a personality. It would also help to be somewhat appreciative of the folks that throw the money your way. You know, sort of like a Nascar driver.

I see none of that from AC. He should continue his course on a Euro based team. They would all be happier.
vaughters has a team full of personality. i'll bet he'll take winning the tour -- or winning anything --over personality any day .

ed rader
erader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 01:57 PM   #21
monosierra
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erader View Post
vaughters has a team full of personality. i'll bet he'll take winning the tour -- or winning anything --over personality any day .

ed rader
The American bit is a real problem, though. AC will probably do better with Spaniards.
monosierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 02:14 PM   #22
OrionKhan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes:
Posts: 1,636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
Contador will never be happy at Garmin, TRS, or Columbia. To be on an American team, one has to have some semblance of a personality. It would also help to be somewhat appreciative of the folks that throw the money your way. You know, sort of like a Nascar driver.
I see none of that from AC. He should continue his course on a Euro based team. They would all be happier.
The only American team that Contador wouldn't be happy with is TRS. And that's because of Lance. Contador will be happy with any team that fully supports him. Garmin and Columbia have shown that they want to win. And the one thing the AC can do well is win grand tours. There are plenty of marketing firms that could easily deal with this "personality" or marketablity issue. Learning a little English isn't that difficult. We've had superstars here rise, crash and burn, and then rise up again. That's a minimal problem. Especially considering the money at stake.
OrionKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 02:57 PM   #23
bigfred 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NZ
Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1
Posts: 3,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With regard to wages: I read that as $4M over 4 years, in other words, $1M per year, not $4M per year.
__________________
Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.
bigfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 03:03 PM   #24
DenisMenchov
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monosierra View Post
He can certainly count on VdV to help him out. The question is, will he trust American team mates again? He had a bad time not only with LA, but LL as well.

Garmin certainly needs a star rider soon. Whereas Caisse has been with Caisse for a decade, Garmin might not enjoy such loyal sponsors.

But if Contador comes, I'm sure Wiggins will leave to topline Sky. Garmin is in a perilous position - TRS might be poaching its riders as well!
I doubt Garmin will want Contador, they would probably be more interested in retaining Wiggins after his stellar performance. Wiggins leaving Garmin = a weak garmin team, probably focusing more on getting stage wins with tyler.
DenisMenchov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 03:25 PM   #25
cuski
Chunky Programmer
 
cuski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfred View Post
With regard to wages: I read that as $4M over 4 years, in other words, $1M per year, not $4M per year.
Read again. Original article states $4M per season.
__________________
Burn the incline - V5
cuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:47 AM.