Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-22-09, 07:39 AM   #1
sykerocker 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sykerocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Montpelier, VA
Bikes: The keepers: 1960 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 1973 Lambert, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport, 2 - 1988 Rossins
Posts: 3,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DirecTV dropping Versus?

I assume that anyone who watched Friday's Tour of Ireland stage also noticed the repeated crawl where DirecTV is warning (threatening?) subscribers that they'll drop Versus after 31 August if contract negotiations don't improve. I assume this is the usual "get the subscribers panicking and writing emails to Versus" to put pressure on, like some of the bigger cable companies are known to do.

I find it annoying.
__________________
Syke

"No wonder we keep testing positive in their bicycle races. Everyone looks like they're full of testosterone when they're surrounded by Frenchmen." ---Argus Hamilton
sykerocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-09, 10:38 AM   #2
OrionKhan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes:
Posts: 1,636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I was all ready to switch from cable to DirecTV this year before I found out that they didn't have Universal Sports (they aired the Giro and will be covering the Vuelta as well). So I decided to hold off. This makes that decision even easier now.
OrionKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-09, 11:27 AM   #3
under18cyclists
JR^2
 
under18cyclists's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rochester,Ny
Bikes: 2004 giant ocr1
Posts: 644
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ye, they did this with some of the big channels with my cable company. They did it with Spike, mTv, Vh1 and some other channels.
under18cyclists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-09, 06:57 PM   #4
Griffin2020
On the road to health.
 
Griffin2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arlington, TX
Bikes: Specialized Allez, Cervelo RS is in process.
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Actually, the crawl is from Versus, not DirecTV.

Apparently DirecTV is not willing to pay market price for VS. I called DTV and told them that if they dropped VS, I would probably drop my DTV subscription.
Griffin2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-09, 08:15 AM   #5
djg714
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Adios Directv, hello cable....
djg714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-09, 10:22 AM   #6
DenisMenchov
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There you have it, all DTV people should write in and threaten to cancel their service if they drop VS. I really like DTV though, and TIVO. I don't think I could give up TIVO.
DenisMenchov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-09, 10:39 AM   #7
fabio
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
they better not drop it.
fabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-09, 12:06 PM   #8
bigtruck
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is the email reply from DTV

""
Dear Mr

Thanks for writing. We recognize you as a valued and loyal customer and we want you to know we appreciate it.

Our agreement with Versus expires on August 31, 2009. We are working hard to reach an agreement to keep Versus on the air. If we are unable to reach an agreement and must take Versus off the air, we will communicate with you via on-air slides or messaging.

We understand how important Versus is to you. It's equally important to us to keep your monthly fees low, so we're doing everything we can to avoid paying exorbitant programming fees. We feel that the terms Versus is asking for from us do not reflect the market or what they are asking of other distributors.

If we are unable to reach an agreement by August 31, we will continue to negotiate with Versus, however, it's unlikely that we'll be able to keep Versus on the air during negotiations. In the meantime, you'll still be able to watch college football on Big Ten Network, the MTN., ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN GamePlan, local channels and your Regional Sports Network (RSN). NHL games are available on NHL Network, NHL Center Ice, and your RSN. MMA is available on HDNet and Spike TV, IRL on ABC, and Professional Bull Riding on ESPN2.

Thanks again for writing and stay tuned to directv.com for the latest news and information

Sincerely,
bigtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-09, 12:30 PM   #9
John Wilke
Senior Member
 
John Wilke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Bikes:
Posts: 3,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The only reason I've been keeping Direct TV was that they had VS.

So, who carries OLN these days??

John Wilke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-09, 04:19 PM   #10
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Bikes: Trek ALR 6, Trek CrossRip, Trek X-Caliber 8
Posts: 4,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Versus is on Dish Network channel 151

http://www.dishnetwork.com/packages/...?channel=50357
__________________
Brian | 2015 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.
jaxgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-09, 05:24 PM   #11
reedpride
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im sure Vs. feels they have a lot of negotiating power after the recent tours numbers. On my dish I had to upgrade to the highest tier (extra $20/month) to watch the tour.
reedpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-09, 05:25 PM   #12
sykerocker 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sykerocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Montpelier, VA
Bikes: The keepers: 1960 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 1973 Lambert, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport, 2 - 1988 Rossins
Posts: 3,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the information regarding Dish Network - out where I live, satellite TV is the only option.
__________________
Syke

"No wonder we keep testing positive in their bicycle races. Everyone looks like they're full of testosterone when they're surrounded by Frenchmen." ---Argus Hamilton
sykerocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-09, 06:46 PM   #13
dahoss2002
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bossier City, La
Bikes: 70's Motobecane, 89 Centurion Ironman
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If DTV drops Versus I will drop DTV. After the NCAA football season of course.
dahoss2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-09, 06:52 PM   #14
meb
Senior Member
 
meb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: arlington, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionKhan View Post
Well, I was all ready to switch from cable to DirecTV this year before I found out that they didn't have Universal Sports (they aired the Giro and will be covering the Vuelta as well). So I decided to hold off. This makes that decision even easier now.
Not sure about broadcasts where you live, but Universal Sports is broadcast as the 3rd subchannel off the local NBC digital broadcast here in the DC area-seems you could get Universal over the air.
meb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-09, 01:51 PM   #15
asv
Senior Member
 
asv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisMenchov View Post
There you have it, all DTV people should write in and threaten to cancel their service if they drop VS. I really like DTV though, and TIVO. I don't think I could give up TIVO.
Tivo Series 3 + cable cards = great success!
asv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 03:57 AM   #16
meb
Senior Member
 
meb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: arlington, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Noticing Universal has the World Championships, the Vuelta, and stage 1 of the Tour of Missouri.

Versus is broadcasting stages 2-8 of the Tour of Missouri- and only half an hour on each stage, no Vuelta as earlier advertised.

Is Universal going to displace Versus as the US network cover the Tour next year?
meb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 11:22 AM   #17
cotatrials
Senior Member
 
cotatrials's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orange Beach AL
Bikes:
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilke View Post
The only reason I've been keeping Direct TV was that they had VS.

So, who carries OLN these days??

OLN changed their name to Versus
cotatrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 11:33 AM   #18
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach
 
stonecrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Weston, FL
Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
Posts: 2,170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
AT&T Uverse also carries Versus-HD
__________________
The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS
stonecrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 06:40 PM   #19
bigtruck
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This may explain the problem
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versus_%28TV_channel%29

I did not know that Versus is owned by Comcast
bigtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-09, 06:03 AM   #20
kneed2wrydemore
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtruck View Post
This is the email reply from DTV

""
Dear Mr

Thanks for writing. We recognize you as a valued and loyal customer and we want you to know we appreciate it.

Our agreement with Versus expires on August 31, 2009. We are working hard to reach an agreement to keep Versus on the air. If we are unable to reach an agreement and must take Versus off the air, we will communicate with you via on-air slides or messaging.

We understand how important Versus is to you. It's equally important to us to keep your monthly fees low, so we're doing everything we can to avoid paying exorbitant programming fees. We feel that the terms Versus is asking for from us do not reflect the market or what they are asking of other distributors.

If we are unable to reach an agreement by August 31, we will continue to negotiate with Versus, however, it's unlikely that we'll be able to keep Versus on the air during negotiations. In the meantime, you'll still be able to watch college football on Big Ten Network, the MTN., ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN GamePlan, local channels and your Regional Sports Network (RSN). NHL games are available on NHL Network, NHL Center Ice, and your RSN. MMA is available on HDNet and Spike TV, IRL on ABC, and Professional Bull Riding on ESPN2.

Thanks again for writing and stay tuned to directv.com for the latest news and information

Sincerely,


Sounds like Professional Bull Sh*ting!
kneed2wrydemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-09, 12:04 PM   #21
Griffin2020
On the road to health.
 
Griffin2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arlington, TX
Bikes: Specialized Allez, Cervelo RS is in process.
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
According to Variety, all they are asking is the same as everyone else pays them (standard rates).
Griffin2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-09, 03:31 PM   #22
nycphotography
NYC
 
nycphotography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,984
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
As far as I'm concerned, if they charge for advertising, then they should be FREE. The local cable company can charge some federally regulated local distribution charge of, say, $10, regardless of the number of channels. If a channel wants to charge a subscription fee, it should be required to be 100% commercial free by federal law.
nycphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 11:18 AM   #23
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Bikes:
Posts: 6,707
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Well it's off the air now.

I sent off an e-mail asking simply what the probability was that it would be returning in the next few months.

I don't know if they're really negotiating in good faith or if they've just given up and want us to think it might come back so we don't switch providers.

I don't care who's the good guy or bad guy in the talks, I want to see Lombardia so if it's not done in a couple weeks I'm going to one of the other providers. Pisses me off that the other companies package it with premium sports channels though because I'll never watch them.

edit - got a canned response but it does say they are continuing negotiations. I'll give them until Sept 25 and by then I'll have decided which other provider makes the most sense.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 09-02-09 at 12:21 PM.
DiabloScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 07:28 PM   #24
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Bikes:
Posts: 6,707
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Well, this sounds permanent.

As previously mentioned, our agreement with Versus expired on August 31, 2009. DIRECTV
made every effort to keep VERSUS a part of its programming line-up, but due to
unsuccessful contract negotiations with Comcast, the owner of Versus, the channel has
been removed. We understand how important Versus is to you and we are sorry that we have
had to remove it from our lineup and we're unable to add it back.
DiabloScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 08:26 PM   #25
Mhendricks
Senior Member
 
Mhendricks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: San Jose, ca.
Bikes: 2006 Orbea Volata, 84 Trek 760, 83 Trek 720,
Posts: 1,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
Well, this sounds permanent.

As previously mentioned, our agreement with Versus expired on August 31, 2009. DIRECTV
made every effort to keep VERSUS a part of its programming line-up, but due to
unsuccessful contract negotiations with Comcast, the owner of Versus, the channel has
been removed. We understand how important Versus is to you and we are sorry that we have
had to remove it from our lineup and we're unable to add it back.
Dear Direct TV,

Please understand how important Versus is to me and I'm sorry that I have
to remove you from my line up and I'm unable to add you back.

PS. I'll be going to Comcast since they own Versus.
__________________
They call me "Mr. Mixte"
Mhendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:47 PM.