Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62
  1. #1
    Will ride for food. Stretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Lubbock, TX
    My Bikes
    Trek 4900
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Lance and Helmets

    Howcome he doesn't always wear a helmet? Sometimes you see him riding with one, other times he just has that Postal hat on. What gives?
    2004 Trek 4900
    2005 Trek 1000

    Need something to do? Check out my cycling blog.


  2. #2
    El Diablo 2Rodies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Austin Tx, Ex So Cal
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD8/Record 10s, Felt DA700 Chorus 10s,
    Posts
    2,750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The UCI rules state that during a race the rider must wear a UCI approved helmet unless the finish is a mountain top finish. That's why you'll see these guys dump their lids as soon as they get to the last climb of the day.

  3. #3
    Since Ever Since Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,574
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that rule because of the injuries/deaths it prevents, but I also hate it. I like seeing riders without helmets. They look a lot more "old school" with just their cycling caps on.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Melbourne Oz
    My Bikes
    how long have you got?
    Posts
    2,397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    I like that rule because of the injuries/deaths it prevents, but I also hate it. I like seeing riders without helmets. They look a lot more "old school" with just their cycling caps on.
    G'day,

    I'm with you, devil. We may still have Andrei Kivilev if this rule had of been introduced sooner,

    cheers,

    Hitchy

  5. #5
    Senior, Senior Member ExMachina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    My Bikes
    "MyBike" (metamorphosed Trek 2200)
    Posts
    662
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We may still have Andrei Kivilev if this rule had of been introduced sooner,
    Yeah. Did you all hear how Tyler Hamilton landed on his head in that crash at the end of Stage 6? Trashed his helmet, he said.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    My Bikes
    Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums
    Posts
    6,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a marker on the side of the road that tells the racers it's now OK to remove your helmet....often a team will place a soigneur at that point to collect the lids as they are dumped.

  7. #7
    Senior Member astonv0l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Originaly Liverpool, currently Greensboro, NC
    My Bikes
    LeMond-Nevada City
    Posts
    337
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So why take the helmet off in the last climb? cant they still fall and hit their head at the top?
    Support me in the fight against cancer
    www.active.com/donate/booty2007/booty2007dross

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    My Bikes
    Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums
    Posts
    6,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astonv0l
    So why take the helmet off in the last climb? cant they still fall and hit their head at the top?
    Because climbing a 20km col at race pace in France in July is unbearbly hot. Wearing a giant styrofoam cup on your head would be torture.
    Plus if there is no descent down the other side, max speed would be 30-35 kmh....and only for short bursts as riders attack.

    20-25kmh would be the norm.

  9. #9
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,071
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heat is no excuse.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    My Bikes
    Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums
    Posts
    6,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiyn
    Heat is no excuse.
    You're right. It's a reason.

  11. #11
    Senior Member RandyMcD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like ed073 said - it's not just because of the heat - it's because the route itself is severely limiting the riders' speeds.
    1973 Schwinn World Traveler (Kool Lemon)
    19?? Puch Pathfinder (Black)

  12. #12
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,071
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without turning this into a helmet debate that's the biggest load of crap I've ever read here. You can still get injured at low speeds so that's not a good reason and the heat is a non issue, if they can wear a helmet for 160km they damn sure can wear it for an 8 km climb.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...ng/2842707.stm
    http://www.letour.fr/stf/parisnice/2.../etape_03.html
    Last edited by Raiyn; 07-15-04 at 01:37 AM.

  13. #13
    Lance Hater Laggard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    4,316
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a concession that the UCI made for the riders when when the helmet rule was implemented.

    That's all.
    i may have overreacted

  14. #14
    TX Ciclista CarlJStoneham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Ft Worth, TX
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1500 & '00 Trek 2000
    Posts
    1,344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These guys are good enough that the odds of killing themselves from a head injury at a wreck sustained at 10mph is negligible. Heck, just about anyone can fall off a bike and have enough time to react to not hit their head. Since there are no cars on the course other than team cars and the peoloton is usually WAY spread out, it's not a partcularly dangrous environment if you're on the last climb of the day. Personally, I'm OK with it. If I could ride on those conditions, I'd check my helmet too. There's a difference between being safe and being paranoid. The latter is what causes some people to wear knee and elbow pads when they ride their bike around the neighborhood...

  15. #15
    Will ride for food. Stretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Lubbock, TX
    My Bikes
    Trek 4900
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlJStoneham
    These guys are good enough that the odds of killing themselves from a head injury at a wreck sustained at 10mph is negligible. Heck, just about anyone can fall off a bike and have enough time to react to not hit their head. Since there are no cars on the course other than team cars and the peoloton is usually WAY spread out, it's not a partcularly dangrous environment if you're on the last climb of the day. Personally, I'm OK with it. If I could ride on those conditions, I'd check my helmet too. There's a difference between being safe and being paranoid. The latter is what causes some people to wear knee and elbow pads when they ride their bike around the neighborhood...
    Are you being serious? That's a joke, right?
    2004 Trek 4900
    2005 Trek 1000

    Need something to do? Check out my cycling blog.


  16. #16
    Sick ... again MacMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    1,577
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiyn
    Without turning this into a helmet debate that's the biggest load of crap I've ever read here. You can still get injured at low speeds so that's not a good reason and the heat is a non issue, if they can wear a helmet for 160km they damn sure can wear it for an 8 km climb.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...ng/2842707.stm
    http://www.letour.fr/stf/parisnice/2.../etape_03.html
    I have to agree. I was once knocked off my motorcycle while stopped at a traffic light. I fell directly sideways and had no time to twist, turn or do anything to mitigate the angle of my fall. My shoulder hit first and then my head followed with a whipping action. I cracked my helmet clean through and it wasn't a cheap one - a $200 Shoei. If I hadn't been wearing the bash hat, I think I'd be a vegetable today.

    If I wanted to get all religious about it, I'd also say that the Tour has a responsibility to those watching and those who get into the sport because of seeing it to make the riders wear helmets all the time.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiyn
    Without turning this into a helmet debate that's the biggest load of crap I've ever read here. You can still get injured at low speeds so that's not a good reason and the heat is a non issue, if they can wear a helmet for 160km they damn sure can wear it for an 8 km climb.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...ng/2842707.stm
    http://www.letour.fr/stf/parisnice/2.../etape_03.html
    Oh, jebus...the safety nazis are all set to begin inveighing. Try this-mind your own damn business! Let the *professional* riders and team managers perform their own risk assesment.

  18. #18
    Sick ... again MacMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    1,577
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by H_Roark
    Oh, jebus...the safety nazis are all set to begin inveighing. Try this-mind your own damn business! Let the *professional* riders and team managers perform their own risk assesment.
    Then they can race in private. Away from cameras and advertising that has untold influence. I suppose you don't mind when someone blows second-hand smoke in your face - afterall, they've performed their own risk assessment.

  19. #19
    Sneaky Slow pgreene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    398
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMan
    Then they can race in private. Away from cameras and advertising that has untold influence. I suppose you don't mind when someone blows second-hand smoke in your face - afterall, they've performed their own risk assessment.
    these guys all train without helmets. they are clearly aware of the risks, and choose not to wear a lid. whether it's because they're "old school" or claim the helmet is uncomfortable, it's ok with me. i'm a huge hockey fan, and a player. i wear a full face shield, because one fake tooth is enough. the guys in the nhl, however, don't. some don't even wear a visor. they do it for a living, they get concessions thrown their way.

    besides, F1 cars don't have airbags.

  20. #20
    El Diablo 2Rodies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Austin Tx, Ex So Cal
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD8/Record 10s, Felt DA700 Chorus 10s,
    Posts
    2,750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey I always loose my lid on the long climbs. If you going up Angeles Crest (backside Big Tajunga) in summer it can be over 100 degrees with zero air flow. It's freakn' hot and when sitting and climbing for over an hour I'll take the risk without my helmet. Now the helmet goes right back on as soon I start the decent, I may be dumb but I aint stupid!

  21. #21
    Will ride for food. Stretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Lubbock, TX
    My Bikes
    Trek 4900
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pgreene
    I wear a full face shield, because one fake tooth is enough.
    HAHAHA, interesting way to word that! Made me laugh.
    2004 Trek 4900
    2005 Trek 1000

    Need something to do? Check out my cycling blog.


  22. #22
    Since Ever Since Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,574
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pgreene
    these guys all train without helmets. they are clearly aware of the risks, and choose not to wear a lid. whether it's because they're "old school" or claim the helmet is uncomfortable, it's ok with me. i'm a huge hockey fan, and a player. i wear a full face shield, because one fake tooth is enough. the guys in the nhl, however, don't. some don't even wear a visor. they do it for a living, they get concessions thrown their way.

    besides, F1 cars don't have airbags.
    I agree.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Bolo Grubb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,749
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always felt it was up to the rider to choose to wear or not to wear, but I also did not think that the helmet added any to the heat with today's designs


    But then I am not riding up those mountains at they speeds they are.

    I just found this on a web site, I do not know how true or false it may be

    http://www.bhsi.org/cooling.htm
    "One manufacturer who tested a number of helmets in a wind tunnel at 18 mph against a bare metal headform in the same tunnel concluded that virtually any helmet provided better cooling than a bare head."

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pgreene
    these guys all train without helmets. they are clearly aware of the risks, and choose not to wear a lid. whether it's because they're "old school" or claim the helmet is uncomfortable, it's ok with me. i'm a huge hockey fan, and a player. i wear a full face shield, because one fake tooth is enough. the guys in the nhl, however, don't. some don't even wear a visor. they do it for a living, they get concessions thrown their way.

    besides, F1 cars don't have airbags.
    I agree completely. I suppose, however, that busybodies will be busybodies.
    Kudos on the F1 reference btw.

  25. #25
    El Diablo 2Rodies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Austin Tx, Ex So Cal
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD8/Record 10s, Felt DA700 Chorus 10s,
    Posts
    2,750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don't add to the heat as much as the pads absorb so much sweat that it just runs down into your eyes. This is why I always loose mine on hot days during long climbs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •