Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-03-10, 02:11 PM   #1
lilyprotector
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Armstrong races Contador in Prologue

I was really surprised that he came in ahead of Contador--very happy, but surprised. My impression is that most people thought Contador would out tt him esp since Lance has spoken of his struggles with the tt since returning. Is this what other people thought too?
lilyprotector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 02:13 PM   #2
Laggard
Lance Hater
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 4,403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Well that's it. Armstrong will win.
Laggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 02:16 PM   #3
fskywalker
Senior Member
 
fskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Puerto Rico
Bikes: Look 566 Medium, Giant TCR C1 Small
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think it's too early to say this would have any meaning on the results since understand was a rainy event and maybe Contador did not gave his best? I hope that Armstrong wins this year but we will probably don't know until they reach the mountains.....
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 02:17 PM   #4
rogwilco
snob
 
rogwilco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vienna
Bikes:
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, there is a thread about the prologue already.
rogwilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 02:28 PM   #5
JoelS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Near Sacramento
Bikes:
Posts: 4,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And it's bad form to put the results of a stage in the title. There are many who haven't watched the stage yet.
__________________
-------

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
JoelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 02:41 PM   #6
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine
 
DXchulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Reno
Bikes:
Posts: 5,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelS View Post
And it's bad form to put the results of a stage in the title. There are many who haven't watched the stage yet.
Maybe so, but anybody who comes here without seeing the stage first is an idiot.

5 seconds will be a drop in the bucket in Paris.
DXchulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 02:43 PM   #7
BengeBoy 
Senior Member
 
BengeBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA
Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXchulo View Post
Maybe so, but anybody who comes here without seeing the stage first is an idiot..

Anybody coming to BF is already an idiot.

Seeing a thread on race results with the results in the title just rubs it in.

Seriously, folks, don't put results in the title.
BengeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 02:51 PM   #8
lilyprotector
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So sorry! can someone help me change title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
Anybody coming to BF is already an idiot.

Seeing a thread on race results with the results in the title just rubs it in.

Seriously, folks, don't put results in the title.
omg, don't know what i was thinking. duh! i shouldn't have put the results in the title. is there anyway to change it? i went back in and tried to edit post but it wouldn't let me change the title. i wanted to just put armstrong/contador finishes. if anyone knows how please let me know!
my bad!

obviously 5 sec is nothing in a three-week tour. my point was just that i was surprised by the outcome nonetheless. i really thought contador was going to finish well ahead of lance. and i was surprised that lance finished so well. and happy!
lilyprotector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 09:15 PM   #9
Hezz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,649
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
Well that's it. Armstrong will win.
I would expect Armstrong to have an advantage over Contador in a short flat time trial like this. Armstrong probably has 15 more pounds of muscle than Contador and he should be able to generate higher wattages. For a short time trial like this he has an advantage. It is also typical for Armstrong to do well when he let's it all go. Which he can do now that it is the TDF.
Hezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 09:30 PM   #10
daredevil
cyclepath
 
daredevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: "The Last Best Place"
Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
Posts: 3,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I've yet to watch a basketball or baseball game which I frequently do on the net, I don't go to the sports page until I'm done watching. If I do accidentally, I don't blame the sports page for printing the results. Just sayin'.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 10:26 PM   #11
colombo357
Senior Member
 
colombo357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hezz View Post
Armstrong probably has 15 more pounds of muscle than Contador and he should be able to generate higher wattages. For a short time trial like this he has an advantage.
This argument makes no sense.

Higher wattage and good aerodynamics is the formula for any length of time trial, not just short ones. That's why Cancellara won today's prologue as the reigning world champ. He rode much further than 8.9K to get that rainbow jersey.
colombo357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 10:29 PM   #12
Dubbayoo
Senior Member
 
Dubbayoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta
Bikes: Pedal Force QS3
Posts: 7,681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelS View Post
And it's bad form to put the results of a stage in the title. There are many who haven't watched the stage yet.
"Armstrong races Contador in Prologue" is not a spoiler. "Armstrong OUTraces Contador in Prologue" is a spoiler.
Dubbayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 11:03 PM   #13
cyclezealot
Senior Member
 
cyclezealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
Posts: 13,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Yippee.

__________________
Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living






^ Since January 1, 2012
cyclezealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 12:10 AM   #14
colombo357
Senior Member
 
colombo357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
a rainy event and maybe Contador did not gave his best?
LA and AC's start times were separated by 3 minutes. Weather did not play a factor.

And AC never holds back, it's not his style.
colombo357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 07:33 AM   #15
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine
 
DXchulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Reno
Bikes:
Posts: 5,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbayoo View Post
"Armstrong races Contador in Prologue" is not a spoiler. "Armstrong OUTraces Contador in Prologue" is a spoiler.
They changed the title. I think it said "beat" earlier.
DXchulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 05:06 PM   #16
Hezz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,649
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombo357 View Post
This argument makes no sense.

Higher wattage and good aerodynamics is the formula for any length of time trial, not just short ones. That's why Cancellara won today's prologue as the reigning world champ. He rode much further than 8.9K to get that rainbow jersey.
Which is the essentially the same thing that I said. So how does my argument make no sense. Since Lance has more lean body mass than Contador he has more ability to create more wattage. So he can go faster so long as his wind resistance is not too much greater and assuming he can hold the speed. This is why he has an advantage in a short flat TT. Because it is less effected by age. I think he may not do as well as Contador in the long TT. It is a well known fact that the ability to hold high wattages for long periods declines with age.
Hezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 08:06 PM   #17
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine
 
DXchulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Reno
Bikes:
Posts: 5,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
In the VeloNews video interview, Sean Kelly was saying that it's harder to do a short, hard effort when you get older. I'm not sure what to believe, because I'm not old yet.
DXchulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 09:04 PM   #18
raptor3x
Senior Member
 
raptor3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hezz View Post
Which is the essentially the same thing that I said. So how does my argument make no sense. Since Lance has more lean body mass than Contador he has more ability to create more wattage. So he can go faster so long as his wind resistance is not too much greater and assuming he can hold the speed. This is why he has an advantage in a short flat TT. Because it is less effected by age. I think he may not do as well as Contador in the long TT. It is a well known fact that the ability to hold high wattages for long periods declines with age.
I think you've got this backwards. Shorter more intense efforts become harder with age, the longer efforts don't decline as fast. It would be expected that Contador would have the advantage in the shorter events.
raptor3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 11:59 PM   #19
OrionKhan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes:
Posts: 1,636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor3x View Post
I think you've got this backwards. Shorter more intense efforts become harder with age, the longer efforts don't decline as fast. It would be expected that Contador would have the advantage in the shorter events.
No, this is incorrect.

A long easier effort does decline slower with age. But a long TT is not that. The difference between a prologue and a long TT isn't that one is a short hard effort and the other is long easier effort. A long TT is long hard effort. The prologue is a shorter hard effort. 8.9km versus 52km. Both are intense hard efforts. AC's youth is in the longer hard TT. Its called the "race of truth" for a reason.
OrionKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:02 PM.