Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-10, 08:45 AM   #1
bellweatherman
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bellweatherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Austin
Bikes: Too many to count
Posts: 2,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ESPN Report: Armstrong probe widens

Looks like the stuff is really going to hit the fan next week.
New report with one extra savory bit...

"Former Armstrong teammate Tyler Hamilton has met with the grand jury and more riders are expected to meet with the grand jury as early as next week, the sources said, according to the report."

Per ESPN:
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cyclin...ory?id=5439369
bellweatherman is offline  
Old 08-05-10, 09:44 AM   #2
Devil
Since Ever Since
 
Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,575
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Plus this: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/05/sp...strong.html?hp
Devil is offline  
Old 08-05-10, 10:28 AM   #3
rogwilco
snob
 
rogwilco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vienna
Bikes:
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil View Post
Ouch. That's got to be damaging to Armstrong. Very damning article.
rogwilco is offline  
Old 08-05-10, 10:41 AM   #4
collegeskier
Senior Member
 
collegeskier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Evanston, IL
Bikes: Felt F5, Fuji Robaix Pro and a KHS Mountain Bike
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unless immunity is being handed out I would guess they are all taking the 5th or saying no doping. I also wonder how the 5th amendment would apply in a case like this. Since if you say there was doping, it probably happened in another country where it is also against the law, can you be force to testify in the US to something that would incriminate you in a crime outside the US?
collegeskier is offline  
Old 08-05-10, 10:43 AM   #5
collegeskier
Senior Member
 
collegeskier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Evanston, IL
Bikes: Felt F5, Fuji Robaix Pro and a KHS Mountain Bike
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Complaint about ESPN. Why did a 3 week race through France get much less attention then Lance's potential criminal case. I get that it is big news but so was that little bike race that you did not seem to care to cover.
collegeskier is offline  
Old 08-05-10, 10:49 AM   #6
StanSeven
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: No Va but ride also in So Md
Bikes: Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
Posts: 11,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I've said it before here - what a waste of Federal resources. I see alot of major criminal activities in my job that don't go anywhere because the US Attorney doesn't have the time to pursue claiming they are overworked and understaffed. But they have time to look at this chicken sheet.
__________________
Quote:
You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.
StanSeven is offline  
Old 08-05-10, 11:19 AM   #7
colombo357
Senior Member
 
colombo357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSeven View Post
I've said it before here - what a waste of Federal resources. I see alot of major criminal activities in my job that don't go anywhere because the US Attorney doesn't have the time to pursue claiming they are overworked and understaffed. But they have time to look at this chicken sheet.
Novitsky wants Johnnie Cochran notoriety. So far it's working.
colombo357 is offline  
Old 08-05-10, 12:12 PM   #8
Jed19 
Senior Member
 
Jed19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 4,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeskier View Post
Unless immunity is being handed out I would guess they are all taking the 5th or saying no doping. I also wonder how the 5th amendment would apply in a case like this. Since if you say there was doping, it probably happened in another country where it is also against the law, can you be force to testify in the US to something that would incriminate you in a crime outside the US?
Once you are being paid with US government money (the US Postal Service), it does not matter where (locality) the conspiracy/crime was commited.

I am not a lawyer, though I play one on BikesForum.net, so take my lawyerly comment with a grain of salt
__________________
Regards,

Jed
Jed19 is offline  
Old 08-05-10, 12:15 PM   #9
collegeskier
Senior Member
 
collegeskier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Evanston, IL
Bikes: Felt F5, Fuji Robaix Pro and a KHS Mountain Bike
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCAS View Post
Once you are being paid with US government money (the US Postal Service), it does not matter where (locality) the conspiracy/crime was commited.

I am not a lawyer, though I play one on BikesForum.net, so take my lawyerly comment with a grain of salt
You missed the point of what I was saying. Can say Tyler Hamilton plead the 5th when on the stand even if granted immunity because testify that he used PED while a professional cyclist could open him to court action in other countries. (Tyler might not be the best example as he has been bagged for doping already but that is my point.)
collegeskier is offline  
Old 08-05-10, 12:38 PM   #10
TechKnowGN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Bikes: 2009 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2011 Trek 3900 Disc MTB
Posts: 1,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It doesnt matter what these people say, it's what they can prove. My guess several years out since he last doped (before this comeback), so there is not likely to be a ton of proof. A boatload of circumstantial evidence, and MAYBE they can go after a RICO or similar commission of a conspiracy charge. If the bikes were sold for dope, the money that paid for dope has to have somehow come from the US gov.

Otherwise, the only other chance to prosecute criminally is fraud. If they can prove he doped, they will be able to say that US Gov signed on with team under fraudulent terms.

My guess is that unless there is physical proof, Lance will not be criminally prosecuted successfully.
TechKnowGN is offline  
Old 08-05-10, 12:47 PM   #11
Namenda
.
 
Namenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: "The Woo", MA
Bikes:
Posts: 4,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It still smacks of a witch hunt. Professional road cycling has so little credibility as is, what is the point of dragging it down further? Floyd had a real axe to grind, I suppose. Can't wait til his next book comes out.
Namenda is offline  
Old 08-05-10, 12:51 PM   #12
Jed19 
Senior Member
 
Jed19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 4,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeskier View Post
You missed the point of what I was saying. Can say Tyler Hamilton plead the 5th when on the stand even if granted immunity because testify that he used PED while a professional cyclist could open him to court action in other countries. (Tyler might not be the best example as he has been bagged for doping already but that is my point.)
There are different kind of immunities. The most common kind is always granted by prosecutors in exchange for telling the whole truth. If you are granted immunity, and then lie, you are scre**. Immunity, basically says they'll not use the evidence you give in prosecuting you.

And so, to answer your question, it most likely won't be possible to prosecute you in other countries that have common law as a leg of their legal system.
__________________
Regards,

Jed
Jed19 is offline  
Old 08-05-10, 02:25 PM   #13
Cannonshell
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NE Ohio
Bikes:
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wish Marco Pantani was around to witness this. Part of the reason he was so upset in the end was that he and others were getting caught while some others seemed to have immunity.
Cannonshell is offline  
Old 08-05-10, 03:39 PM   #14
TechKnowGN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Bikes: 2009 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2011 Trek 3900 Disc MTB
Posts: 1,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It isn't about having immunity. It's that some guys are either not doping or doing a better job of hiding it.
TechKnowGN is offline  
Old 08-05-10, 03:47 PM   #15
griff017
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This has to be one of the most hilarious waste of taxpayer dollars in the history of the United States (that should say alot).

If every person in Europe over the course of ten years could not find a single shred of physical evidence what the hell is a Federal Investigation going to find in 6 months?

Its going to come down to 'he-said she-said.'

I mean, I think LA is kind of an ******* and probally doped (if you look at a list; most if not all famous cyclist doped).

But there is no way they can prove it, especially with their star witnesses being fricken Landis, give me a break!
griff017 is offline  
Old 08-05-10, 04:30 PM   #16
kleinboogie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is getting a little old. How about a sticky thread where all the conspiracy theorists can post their news links?
kleinboogie is offline  
Old 08-05-10, 04:52 PM   #17
Jed19 
Senior Member
 
Jed19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 4,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody wanna guess who the NY Times cyclist/source/doper is? I think I know, and it ain't Hamilton.
__________________
Regards,

Jed
Jed19 is offline  
Old 08-05-10, 05:02 PM   #18
USAZorro
Seņor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Florence, KY
Bikes: 1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1996 Giant Iguana, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead
Posts: 14,417
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Let's keep the investigation comments in the other thread. Closing this to leave one on the topic open.
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:30 PM.